Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: Will you buy?

Will you buy the Cybertruck?

• Yes, planned on it before I saw it.

• Yes, now that I have seen it.

• Still deciding.

• No, changed my mind when I saw it.

• No, never planned on it.

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have already ordered it.
  1. Who knows what will change between now and 3 years when this rolls off the production line.
  2. The target market isn't an ordinary truck buyer. Clearly this is a radical shift from the norm, but isn't that the point? Elon already said months ago that this won't be for everyone.
  3. I hope I don't have to paint it. No more worries about parking my tesla at the end of the parking lot. Now I can just park on top of a Prius and not get a scratch ;)

with an ol Tacoma sitting next to my S... I was really hoping to upgrade.... not with the Cybertruck tho.... I'll just say it.. Ugly.
I sold my 2010 Tacoma in preparation for this and to end our ties to anything gas/oil powered. I had every intention of ordering one the moment I was able to until I saw it. Now, I kind of wish I kept it. I will be looking to what Ford does with the F-150 and hope they don't screw up as bad as Tesla did tonight in hopes that it will eventually yield and EV Ranger Raptor that is midsize and has similar performance numbers as this turd on wheels. If they're even remotely close I'll be happy to drive something that doesn't look like a 4-year-old designed it with crayons. Seriously, I thought it was a joke and the real Cybertruck would emerge to push that 80's movie prop off of the stage especially when the glass demo failed. The actual Cybertruck needed to emerge and push this monstrosity out of our lives forever. I woke up this morning and it's still here, sadly.

The design is not exceptionally pretty, but it’s about function, and ease of manufacture, the benefit there of lowering the price.

I also worry about front bed access from the sides, but at least it’s a usable size bed, unlike the Ridgeline type design so many seem to prefer, or the Rivian, which I found kind of cartoony looking.

The full ramp should help access, at least you can walk up into the bed to get stuff out, instead of hopping up and down from the bed.

I understand the triangle design purpose is to be both stronger and more aerodynamic, truck beds are notoriously bad at creating drag, and drag is far more a concern for EV’s than it is for ICE vehicles.

It’s more what an electric usable work truck should be over the design of current ICE trucks, anyway. An EV that looks more like an ICE truck is like when cars looked more like horse drawn carriages, different needs require different designs, but it’s hard to move people past what they are familiar with.

Could someone come up with a better looking one that still filled the needs of EV truck design, of course, but then the price would go up and then people would complain about that.

I ordered the tri-motor. I expect the design will change over the next several years.
If you think this truck design is pure function then you have never used a pickup on a daily basis and got things in and out of the bed. Good luck with that with this goofy looking triangle body line that extends from the roof to the tailgate. Lift-over height is a major consideration of all pick-ups and this thing comically missed the mark in that and many other aspects that tuck buyers care about.

Reactions: Taoweiji and 67King
Specs are impressive when considering what you're getting for a 50k truck. I need to see more of a finished product though. I think if Tesla can break into the truck market it'll be a huge upset. The origami body folding seems like a nightmare to repair and it doesn't look like the truck has any impact crumble zones.

Once I get a better understanding of the body, I'll decided whether I want to go through with the purchase.

Thoughts?
First opinion: What TF???? Read Forbes report about details and although they exaggerated the one BIG blunder in their title, the analysis by the reporter was fair and complete. VERY impressed with Elon's usual inclusion of no-brainer items every truck should come with but doesn't: Stainless construction, air suspension, included ramps, box cover, AFFORDABLE operating cost!!! Here in Canada (no, I don't live in a city and Canada is a big country!) I opted for the long range, 3 motor version. I just hope Elon does like the X and S and gives free lifetime supercharging. $150 dollars down? Peanuts!! I hope to hear of a multitude of great features Tesla already includes also being part of this package. Maybe sweeten the pot for those that are willing to overlook the ugly duckling shock effect. It does grow on you though! 2 hours since seeing it and I already appreciate some parts of the design.

Reactions: dhrivnak
There needs to be another choice on the poll - "Yes, if I was in the market for a pickup". Lacking that, I picked "Yes, now that I have seen it", although I no longer have a need for a pickup. I care more about the functionality than the appearance.

If you think this truck design is pure function then you have never used a pickup on a daily basis and got things in and out of the bed. Good luck with that with this goofy looking triangle body line that extends from the roof to the tailgate. Lift-over height is a major consideration of all pick-ups and this thing comically missed the mark in that and many other aspects that tuck buyers care about.

Yes, very true. I was an engineer with Ford when the P221 was launched in 2004. At that time, I had a P96 (2000MY), and the P221's bed was 18 inches higher than mine. I griped that all of the bragging about cargo volume was because of bed height, and I could no longer lift things over the side of the bed, I had to go through the tailgate. Of course, the current truck is a 3/4 ton because of the diesel, and it is worse because of that. Race car hauler, so I'm usually putting tires and fuel jugs in the bed. The height sucks.

Reactions: kayak1
Watch some of the test drives. The interior is gigantic as there is no frame to compete with. There is also a ton of headroom. In the front I guess to the pointy top there is well over a foot above people’s heads and then a more normal amount in the rear.

Ever see workers get into trucks wearing hardhats? This one might make it mandatory - especially for the back seat.