Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Would you return your model 3 over this panel issue?

What to do with this car?

• Return it - you're within the 7 day window

• Work with Tesla to try to get it fixed

• Shouldn't be a big deal, having Tesla try to fix it might introduce more issues

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Kind of torn on this one - took delivery Thursday, took the time to inspect, and found some minor paint issues (service appointment set to take care of those) but nothing "big" until I noticed this panel issue on the driver side front-quarter panel:

1jE5Y8p.jpg

Another view of it:
rBH2ZX9.jpg

Other side (passenger) which has no issues by comparison:
zg0XpOx.jpg

I'm torn on this as I did do a trade-in so saved on sales-tax, if I return the car I give up around $1000 of savings. At the same time I'm still deciding how much this bugs me as I'm not sure what the resolution they'll come up with will be.

Thoughts?

almost all Model 3's have a similar issue to some degree. My suggestion is to take it to the SC and ensure it is not rubbing. This was shown on some cars to cause a small area of rust.

if you can slide a piece of paper behind that panel, you should be good.

Mine was the same.

I was comfortable adjusting this myself - when I say adjusting, I mean squeezing a rope in the gap and slowly pulling that section of the fender away. Saved me the headache of driving to service center and the wait to get the car back.

Also, if the fender is touching the body, it’ll eventually rub away the paint and rust.

Reactions: Jeff Davlt
Awesome, thanks for the input all. I was not able to get a piece of paper in between so I think it is going to require more than just bending (might need repaint in the space after they bend it away).

Mine was the same.

I was comfortable adjusting this myself - when I say adjusting, I mean squeezing a rope in the gap and slowly pulling that section of the fender away. Saved me the headache of driving to service center and the wait to get the car back.

Also, if the fender is touching the body, it’ll eventually rub away the paint and rust.

I don't think I understand this comment? What causes the fender to move? In my case it looks like it's straight just painted on tight with maybe no gap. I can see it perhaps rusting in the gap but maybe not based on any rubbing unless I'm understanding this correctly.

Awesome, thanks for the input all. I was not able to get a piece of paper in between so I think it is going to require more than just bending (might need repaint in the space after they bend it away).

I don't think I understand this comment? What causes the fender to move? In my case it looks like it's straight just painted on tight with maybe no gap. I can see it perhaps rusting in the gap but maybe not based on any rubbing unless I'm understanding this correctly.
Cars flex as you drive them and body panels move independently.

When they are touching, the paint can rub off as they flex creating an area that is unprotected.

Your service center will just bend the panel to create a gap.

As I stated above, you can do this yourself (just use appropriate non-marring tools) if you choose.

this video is an extreme case. but this is what could happen if it is rubbing. I agree there isn’t much movement between these panels, but it only takes a very small amount over a period of time.

my car barely fits a piece of paper and I have no issues 1.5 years later.

Reactions: turanuk
Every ≡ i have seen has that issue to some extent.

Service bent mine away from the adjacent part (so no rubbing) but you could do it yourself.

I would have contested this statement until I went out just now and looked at mine. The upper rear corner of the left fender is in slightly compared to one on the right, which is perfectly lined up. A body repair tech would probably fix this in about 30 seconds with a flat bladed tool known as a 'spoon'. An easy fix. I wouldn't have even noticed mine but for this thread. OP, since this bothers you by all means ask the SC to fix it. Yours is misaligned enough to be noticeable. Fixing it should cause no further issues, so go for it.

I have two friends with 3's that no body panel defects....none. Are those outliers? Mine did not have those. The only issues on mine is the rear bumper has a gap, and one front fender slightly is past the front bumper.
Take another look. Compare the driver side (where the defect typically is) to the passenger side.

I have looked at hundreds of ≡. All of them have it to some extent. Most people just don't notice.

P.S. I have a 2020 delivered in late Nov 19 and this was the ONLY defect I could find.