Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Poll] Would you take a Bolt over an M3 in these situations?

What would it take you to take a bolt over your M3?

• I will take a Bolt if I like it when it comes out this year.

Votes: 17 6.0%
  • I will take a Bolt if M3 doesn't start deliveries summer 2017.

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • I will take a Bolt if M3 doesn't start deliveries December 2017.

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • I will never take a Bolt over an M3.

Votes: 225 79.8%
  • I will take a Bolt if M3 misses on a promise (e.g. range, autopilot, pricing).

Votes: 41 14.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not everyone interested in the Model 3 is using "going green" as their primary reason for the purchase.

If (huge if here) Elon came out at reveal 2 and showed a completely different (uglier) looking car that only got 220 miles with the biggest pack, I'd just stay in an ICE.

But since that's not going to happen, I'll patiently wait for my invite to configure my Model 3 online.

As a current Leaf owner, the Bolt doesn't really excite me. Looks not much better than a Leaf, and the only real advantage is the range. I bought a used Leaf because I wanted a cheap EV to tide me over until the Model 3 is out. If I was going to buy a Bolt, I might as well wait for some 3rd party to come out with a bigger battery for the Leaf.

I want a Model 3 because, as others said, it's more a luxury car. I had actually considered getting a CPO Audi A3 or BMW 3 series for a few years until the Model 3, so that's the kind of car I want long-term.

Reactions: Red Sage
Without the EV credit both cars cost about the same, but they are not the same. To me a Bolt is like a Civic, while a Tesla is BMW; why would I buy a regular car at the price point of a luxury car?

I do not think you're going to get a luxury car for $30k that is a BEV with 200 miles of range for several years if ever. Why? Luxury cars are more than $30k today and BEVs cost more to make than ICE drivetrains.

But I will agree that the Bolt is going to be perceived as utilitarian and the BMW as jewelry.

I do not think you're going to get a luxury car for $30k that is a BEV with 200 miles of range for several years if ever. Why? Luxury cars are more than $30k today and BEVs cost more to make than ICE drivetrains.

So what are you saying about the Model 3 then? Never going to be made? Going to be more than $30k? Not luxury? Just want to understand, not trying to argue or anything.

So what are you saying about the Model 3 then? Never going to be made? Going to be more than $30k? Not luxury? Just want to understand, not trying to argue or anything.

What I'm saying is that people should have realistic expectations for the Model 3. Costs will have to be reduced from the Model S platform, a lot of costs, like 50%. Some of the costs will be attenuated by improved tech reducing production costs, but not 50%.

I'm expecting a RWD with a basic interior, nice styling, good HP, good handling, under 4000lb but without using expensive materials and fabrication techniques. Luxury will be optional at additional cost.

I certainly could be wrong, but Tesla will have to make a profit on the Model 3. Like the Leaf, Volt, and upcoming Bolt, there will have to be compromises made. I'm not sure everyone understands that.

And I am OK with that, since that is what I think must happen. I won't mind paying $60k for a tricked out Model 3, but I'm not expecting a luxury trim model at $30k.

What I'm saying is that people should have realistic expectations for the Model 3. Costs will have to be reduced from the Model S platform, a lot of costs, like 50%. Some of the costs will be attenuated by improved tech reducing production costs, but not 50%.

I'm expecting a RWD with a basic interior, nice styling, good HP, good handling, under 4000lb but without using expensive materials and fabrication techniques. Luxury will be optional at additional cost.

I certainly could be wrong, but Tesla will have to make a profit on the Model 3. Like the Leaf, Volt, and upcoming Bolt, there will have to be compromises made. I'm not sure everyone understands that.

And I am OK with that, since that is what I think must happen. I won't mind paying $60k for a tricked out Model 3, but I'm not expecting a luxury trim model at $30k.

No. Compromises will only really be made by the consumer (as in, what options will you not elect to purchase).

The margins on a base model may be slim, but the people who are going to check every box and get a P-XXD-L will help pay for that.

Elon already said he expects the average transaction price to be ~$42,000, so they're going to be making a profit, an obviously smaller profit on base models, but that's an industry norm.

And also a norm in the industry....when they've fine-tuned their production methods and logistics costs, churning out Model 3's on demand (around 2019-2020 timeframe) will make it that much easier to fund the Model Y.

No. Compromises will only really be made by the consumer (as in, what options will you not elect to purchase).

The margins on a base model may be slim, but the people who are going to check every box and get a P-XXD-L will help pay for that.

Elon already said he expects the average transaction price to be ~$42,000, so they're going to be making a profit, an obviously smaller profit on base models, but that's an industry norm.

And also a norm in the industry....when they've fine-tuned their production methods and logistics costs, churning out Model 3's on demand (around 2019-2020 timeframe) will make it that much easier to fund the Model Y.

And I'd guess their estimates are low given that many people are going to want a $70K Supercar version.

And I'd guess their estimates are low given that many people are going to want a $70K Supercar version.

exactly, in the same way the S and X funded the existence of the 3 in the first place...."well-optioned" 3 purchasers will be funding the lower end, to ensure a minimum fit and finish quality that may not be "super luxury", but will surely outpace "econobox".

Think Audi A3 base model. They come with leather, but the sport leather seats are an upgrade.

The "cheapest/chintziest" Model 3 will be a much nicer car than a loaded Bolt, because they're after different markets.

The Tesla Model 3 will not convey 'luxury' in the manner that a Cadillac ATS or Lexus IS or Jaguar XE will. It should still exhibit quality and value though. It will not be either plush nor substandard. It will likely be at least as well appointed as a BMW 320i, which means it will probably match a Toyota Camry LE.