Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Poll] Would you take a Bolt over an M3 in these situations?

What would it take you to take a bolt over your M3?

• I will take a Bolt if I like it when it comes out this year.

Votes: 17 6.0%
  • I will take a Bolt if M3 doesn't start deliveries summer 2017.

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • I will take a Bolt if M3 doesn't start deliveries December 2017.

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • I will never take a Bolt over an M3.

Votes: 225 79.8%
  • I will take a Bolt if M3 misses on a promise (e.g. range, autopilot, pricing).

Votes: 41 14.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a significant difference between 'reasonable' and 'exceptional'. At the given price point for the BOLT there are better cars from Buick, Cadillac, and Chevrolet. The Tesla Model 3 will be exceptional at a similar price range. Comparatively speaking, against General Motors' own offerings (LaCrosse, ATS, and Malibu), the BOLT would be considered mediocre, not reasonable at all.

Yeah GM is no Tesla and they have different missions. This is their first reasonable electric and by that I mean more than grocery range. They have a way to go but again, if you believe in Tesla's mission it would be good to encourage GM to do better rather than just trash them IMO.

• Funny
Reactions: callmesam
DC 240v fast charging is not that bad but it certainly pales in comparison to supercharging. For many people 240 miles covers 99% of their driving. Again it's a start for GM.

And that's the market it would work for. If you don't plan on taking it out of your metro area it does the job. Certainly a better option than an ICE vehicle.

Personally, I drive to a large metro area many times a year where I would need to be on the road 4-8 hours in a day.

Yeah GM is no Tesla and they have different missions. This is their first reasonable electric and by that I mean more than grocery range. They have a way to go but again, if you believe in Tesla's mission it would be good to encourage GM to do better rather than just trash them IMO.
The thing is...? I am a longtime GM fan who has encouraged them to 'do better' for over thirty years now. As optimistic as I am for Tesla Motors, I am similarly pessimistic of seeing GM, or any other traditional automobile manufacturer, become truly commited to electric drive. Something like the BOLT should have appeared alongside the VOLT around six years ago. The VOLT should have been offered in quantities to rival the Toyota Prius, and marketed as its superior. There is a point where decisions stop being 'mistakes' and are exposed as purposeful strategy instead. I encourage GM to build a fully electric car that could potentially replace the CRUZE or MALIBU product lines.

This poll is in a Tesla site, so one can't expect a lot of enthusiasm. I might buy a Bolt if Tesla had never existed. Otherwise, its a pretty good EV, but too expensive by about $10k. I expect their cost is above that by a fair bit. ZEV credits will help, though. Unfortunately, that means it would be a compliance car, and not what is needed for pushing EVs forward.

The thing is...? I am a longtime GM fan who has encouraged them to 'do better' for over thirty years now. As optimistic as I am for Tesla Motors, I am similarly pessimistic of seeing GM, or any other traditional automobile manufacturer, become truly commited to electric drive. Something like the BOLT should have appeared alongside the VOLT around six years ago. The VOLT should have been offered in quantities to rival the Toyota Prius, and marketed as its superior. There is a point where decisions stop being 'mistakes' and are exposed as purposeful strategy instead. I encourage GM to build a fully electric car that could potentially replace the CRUZE or MALIBU product lines.

I understand. They can and should do better. I'm glad they are off the bench, it will help speed the adoption of sustainable transport.

And that's the market it would work for. If you don't plan on taking it out of your metro area it does the job. Certainly a better option than an ICE vehicle.

Personally, I drive to a large metro area many times a year where I would need to be on the road 4-8 hours in a day.

I would consider it for around town if it was cheaper. I think by the time I replace my Kia Sorrento it will be with a used X or model Y.

Reactions: Red Sage
As a Volt driver for the last 4 years I see the Bolt as a step backward for GM. Without a long range fast charging network, they have created a car with less practical use than the Volt. OK, if you're a pure EV fan I get it, but to the general public they have created a car that one can only use in more limited situations than the Volt. The styling is worse, the interior is worse, it's uglier and I can't take it on vacation. I think they missed the mark on this one but without a fast charging network they can never compete with what Tesla is doing.

Just my opinion of course. Really, I would love to see some of the big guns get serious about electric but until they are willing to commit to a fast charging network of some kind they are just spinning their wheels and will only have limited appeal in the marketplace.

Dan

It's better than nothing if you support Musk's mission. Thats the point. It's better than the Leaf and other short range offerings.
I think that they're taking the piss. By their actions none of the major ICE car companies are serious about EV yet.

These companies have significant engineering and design muscle that, sufficiently focused, would delver the goods for sure. Bolt should have been revolutionary. But when GM announced no RHD Bolt they confirmed this a cynical US-compliance project that does little to support any mission.

I am positive overall about the future of EV. But not because of Bolt.

I think that they're taking the piss. By their actions none of the major ICE car companies are serious about EV yet.

These companies have significant engineering and design muscle that, sufficiently focused, would delver the goods for sure. Bolt should have been revolutionary. But when GM announced no RHD Bolt they confirmed this a cynical US-compliance project that does little to support any mission.

I'm not saying the Bolt is an inspiration, I'm just saying it's good to see them starting. It's not complicated. I agree with what you are saying but this is the start. The success of the three will force their hand.

Yes. GM are just new at this automobile business. We should cut them some slack.

Unfortunately I can only register a LHD vehicle where I live if it's over 30 years old. :rolleyes:

You are in luck. GM has been making EVs since 1908.

But there is a problem, we do not buy them. Not today, not 100 years ago. In general, drivers do not consider an EV or hybrid as a choice when buying.

Tesla is unique. It's fashionable. But make no mistake, nobody is driving them to work at McDonald's. Mostly bought by wealthy buyers, which is a small demographic. In fact, there are no affordable EVs in the world at correct retail costs. The cheapest are still out of range of the lower middle class unless heavily subsidized.

As far as right-hand-drive, don't be so sure. Many were wrong about most the specs of the Bolt/AmperaE, and you might be wrong about RHD:

'Groundbreaking' Ampera-e could come to the UK... in RHD

But keep in mind RHD countries do not buy GM products often. It's really a waste of time. EVs of all brands are poor sellers in RHD countries, and Europe, Asia, and Australia are anti-US import regions.

We have 4 drivers, and 3 drove EVs today. Soon all 4 will. Guess what? All three new combined do not equal the price of an S75 rwd.

Last edited:
But when GM announced no RHD Bolt they confirmed this a cynical US-compliance project that does little to support any mission.
You do realize that the Bolt will be sold as the Opel Ampera-e in essentially every country in Europe except the UK and Ireland, right?

Including:

Albania, Austria, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzagovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Macedonia, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and Turkey.

You do realize that the Bolt will be sold as the Opel Ampera-e in essentially every country in Europe except the UK and Ireland, right?

Including:

Albania, Austria, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzagovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Macedonia, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and Turkey.
In what quantities? If it is still at or below 1% of their ICE offerings in those nations it is still effectively a compliance car. And with a 30,000 to 50,000 maximum annual production rate for BOLT that won't leave many of the Ampera-e to be distributed to territories other than the US. Hmmm... Perhaps 20,000 cars (beyond US sales) distributed among 30 European countries? C'mon, MAN! That's NOTHING compared to CRUZE and MALIBU worldwide!

In what quantities? If it is still at or below 1% of their ICE offerings in those nations it is still effectively a compliance car. And with a 30,000 to 50,000 maximum annual production rate for BOLT that won't leave many of the Ampera-e to be distributed to territories other than the US. Hmmm... Perhaps 20,000 cars (beyond US sales) distributed among 30 European countries? C'mon, MAN! That's NOTHING compared to CRUZE and MALIBU worldwide!

Being that you are a GM enthusiast, are you going to actually drive the Bolt at the LA Auto Show? Or just assume every rumor on the internet is true?