Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Poll] Would you take a Bolt over an M3 in these situations?

What would it take you to take a bolt over your M3?

• I will take a Bolt if I like it when it comes out this year.

Votes: 17 6.0%
  • I will take a Bolt if M3 doesn't start deliveries summer 2017.

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • I will take a Bolt if M3 doesn't start deliveries December 2017.

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • I will never take a Bolt over an M3.

Votes: 225 79.8%
  • I will take a Bolt if M3 misses on a promise (e.g. range, autopilot, pricing).

Votes: 41 14.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Meanwhile... Through the first nine months of 2016, sales in the US:

21,400_-_Model S
19,829_-_LaCrosse
19,551_-_CLA-Class
16,326_-_VOLT
16,130_-_ATS
15,461_-_Regal
13,709_-_A6
13,414_-_S-Class
12,470_-_2-Series
12,148_-_CTS
_9,239_-_7-Series
_9,238_-_LEAF
_6,672_-_A5
_5,796_-_Cascada
_5,763_-_i3
_4,984_-_Ghibli
_4,588_-_A7
_3,602_-_XE
_3,341_-_Panamera
_2,951_-_A8
_2,788_-_XJ
_2,355_-_CC
_1,724_-_Quattroporte
_1,297_-_Equus
_1,089_-_i8
___710_-_Mirai
___530_-_R8
___468_-_B-Class

• The Model S has outsold the A6, A7, and A8 combined YTD through September 2016.
  • The Model S has outsold the B-Class, R8, Mirai, LEAF, and 7-Series combined YTD through September 2016.
  • The Model S has outsold both the least expensive CLA-Class and most expensive S-Class Sedans from Mercedes-Benz YTD through September 2016.

Yet, the 'independent franchised dealerships' insist that Tesla would 'sell more cars' with their help.

As far as right-hand-drive, don't be so sure. Many were wrong about most the specs of the Bolt/AmperaE, and you might be wrong about RHD:

'Groundbreaking' Ampera-e could come to the UK... in RHD
Vauxhall has not confirmed this. The article you link to doesn't confirm RHD Ampera-e for the UK at all. It would be an impressive development if that changed though, granted.
But keep in mind RHD countries do not buy GM products often. It's really a waste of time.
Holden (Aussie for GM) used to be our largest selling car company. In 2015 they are still our 3rd largest auto brand by value (2015 VFACTS winners and losers: All-time Australian new vehicle sales record set – UPDATE | CarAdvice) . We own one, and it's been good.

Holden doesn't suffer for anti-US sentiment as it's sold as the all-Australian option. Even their american engined models are seen as Australian muscle cars. This will change in time, now they're a pure importer but hasn't been an issue so far.
EVs of all brands are poor sellers in RHD countries, and Europe, Asia, and Australia are anti-US import regions.
On the matter of EV sales we have few options and they are poor. Nissan has only sold the first generation Leaf here, VW has never released their EVs, and Renault hasn't either.

When I decided my next car would be an EV I first waited for Renault, VW and finally Nissan to bring out something that would suit me and each has pulled the plug...while waiting in the M3 queue the prospect of a Holden Bolt definitely appealed, but even if they do reverse the RHD decision I'll stick here.

Reactions: Red Sage
I might consider a Bolt if it wasn't so ugly. The front end looks like a toy and visibility to the rear seems to be severely impaired. By the same token, if the Model 3 is only available in a sedan, I will give up on Tesla after over a decade of waiting.

You do know it has a 180° review mirror and Bird's Eye View, right? You probably haven't seen what's new in cars.

If your back seats are folded down, and you have crammed a dishwasher in the back, blocking your entire view, you can still see 360° around the car without turning your head. The rear view mirror shows everything it would if there was nothing in the hatch area.

But yes, the Bolt is the world's smallest car, and getting smaller, it looks wildly different than the other 54 models of 4 door hatchbacks for 2017, and it has been redesigned to include the styling cues of the Pontiac Aztek. I heard the mileage numbers were done downhill with a tailwind while on a flatbed tow-truck, and it will cost $3750000 for the base model. It's a girl car and missed a period. The car is 100% identical to both the Honda Fit and the Chevrolet Sonic, except there are some old AA alkaline batteries in the glove box.

Did I miss anything? :D

No Bolt for me -- even if I wasn't currently a Tesla owner. I've supported GM (Chevy) in the past -- new Nova and much later a new Impala and was happy with them both.

I'm an EV convert and not impressed with GM's behaviors as it pertains to EV development and sales. Even if I forgive them for their previous misdeeds, I just can't take their current efforts seriously. Heck, I know more about the Bolt and the Volt than many of their agents! Moreover, if they honestly wanted to be competitive with Tesla, they would have at minimum offered adaptive cruise control (a mature technology) on the Bolt.

Reactions: strykeroz
I'll at least wait until the Model 3 is out before deciding on if I would be better served with a Bolt. And being in VA it probably won't be until spring of next year till my state gets any. At that point waiting to see what the 2018 model year brings (assuming they start building them sooner) seems prudent.

> Meanwhile... Through the first nine months of 2016, sales in the US: [Red Sage]
> 21,400_-_Model S

? Where's the Model X ?
--
The Model X is ahead of the Porsche Cayenne but still trails the BMW X5, AUDI Q7, and Mercedes-Benz GL-Class/GLS-Class so far this year. It seems that Tesla has still not quite got up to speed with Model X Production. I do expect it will still reach the 25,000 to 35,000 units range for annual US sales eventually.

Look at the list in my previous post. I was comparing 'luxury' Sedans, and plugins mostly. I don't believe I included any SUVs. The point was that Tesla does not need 'independent franchised dealerships' to exceed the sales of long established manufacturers. Like Cadillac, Buick, Mercedes-Benz, and AUDI. Even those vehicles that cost significantly less than a Model S are being outsold, though available through far fewer locations.

RHD is still up in the air. Opel is certainly going to market the "Bolt", Vauxhall is still deciding.
RHD is one thing, but availability in Australia is another.
EVs that have been available in Australia:
- Leaf (old 24kWh stock)
- I-MieV (no longer available)
- Mitsubishi Outlander
- Tesla Model S
- Tesla Model X (deliveries haven't started yet)
There were a very small number of Volts sold (as Holden Volt
- Holden is our GM brand)

RHD is one thing, but availability in Australia is another.
EVs that have been available in Australia:
- Leaf (old 24kWh stock)
- I-MieV (no longer available)
- Mitsubishi Outlander
- Tesla Model S
- Tesla Model X (deliveries haven't started yet)
There were a very small number of Volts sold (as Holden Volt
- Holden is our GM brand)

I always thought the Ute would make an excellent EV platform. If there were an electric El Camino, I'd buy one.