Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poor sensor performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the Trunk: Manually raise it to a max safe level. Then hold the close button until you hear a long beep. This will set a new max height. OMG, that made me cringe!!

On the front doors I suspect those filters do not reflect well enough to be seen as an object. Cover them with foil, and test that result.

For the FWD, that object is probably too narrow to be seen, so I would adapt and find a new way to enter that door. Maybe Summon it back a couple feet?

For the Trunk: Manually raise it to a max safe level. Then hold the close button until you hear a long beep. This will set a new max height. OMG, that made me cringe!!

On the front doors I suspect those filters do not reflect well enough to be seen as an object. Cover them with foil, and test that result.

For the FWD, that object is probably too narrow to be seen, so I would adapt and find a new way to enter that door. Maybe Summon it back a couple feet?

On the driver front door test, the reason why I have the test set up that way is that my wife actually had the door auto-open and hit a parked car next to us. I tried to replicate the approximate distance at home, and I can get it to happen fairly easily with another solid object (like a large full plastic trash bin).

The trunk suggestion is a good one. Didn't know about that, I will give that a try.

• Informative
Reactions: Dr ValueSeeker
I've had my X for about a week, and I haven't had problems like this.
However, a friend of mine DID have similar problems, where he said he had to catch the driver side door from hitting a car next door, and the FWD will hit garage door track if the door is not up. My garage is high enough that the FWD doesn't hit the track, so I don't know if I would have this problem or not.

He brought it back for the service center to look at. I don't know if he got it back yet.. Might be worthwhile to call the service center.

• Informative
Note that the rear hatch does *not* have sensors, so you need to stop its automatic motion, manually move it to the max open position you want, then press and hold the button till it beeps a confirmation at you. From then on, that's as far as it will automatically open, you can always push it further open. I did that first thing when I got it into my garage because I could just see myself forgetting and opening the trunk from the touchscreen or the key while it was in my garage and scratching my spoiler!

If you didn't know you could do that, may I recommend reading the owner's manual? Especially on a car as high-tech as the Tesla, it is chock-full of very useful info!

When I picked up my Model X, the DS told me there are no sensors in the front doors. It uses the Falcon Wing doors to detect obstacles. He told me that they were explicitly told this by headquarters. The example he gave was parking next to a pole (by the front door) with no obstacle by the Falcon Wing doors. The front door would open and hit the pole. He demonstrated this by standing by the front door and then opening it.

@Chanman I don't mean to sound like an a-hole, but you really should have a good read of the manual, where it helps understand how the car opens/closes the doors
Screen Shot 2016-03-31 at 3.57.46 PM.png

@Chanman I don't mean to sound like an a-hole, but you really should have a good read of the manual, where it helps understand how the car opens/closes the doorsView attachment 169731

Hey Muzzman, don't worry, I take absolutely no offense at being told to RTFM, especially since I didn't in the first place. I can confirm that I successfully reprogrammed the trunk opening.

So, in theory, if the falcon wings are the ones with sensors to detect obstacles, if I park a another car right next to the Model X in such a way that the FWD can detect it, then I should expect that if I walk toward the Model X with a key, the driver's side door should not open the full 45 degrees and it should not hit the parked car, right? I'll give that a test.

Appreciate the feedback from all.

Reactions: Muzzman1
I would have service check the sensor in the FWD. Even though we are a bit paranoid about our driver door hitting something when it opens, it has always stopped in time (so far). Also, the FWD's seem to be pretty darn sensitive to opening when something is near it, and yours just opened without any hesitation.

As mentioned already, there are no sensors in the trunk.

• Love
I plan on turning my auto open off when I go to a parking garage. It would be nice if you could set the default mode (auto or off) based on location. I would probably have it off in most places but ones I trust, I would want to be in auto mode.
I already sent Tesla an email suggesting this ([email protected]) - maybe you can send one too to encourage them to make a change?

In addition, they could also temporarily disable Auto-Open of the doors based on locking the car manually using the FOB. I’ll have to check, but I thought the Model S will disable auto-unlock if the car has been locked manually.