TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Porsche alt-drive prototype goes up in flames - testing equipment blamed

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by Kwillscherer1026, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Kwillscherer1026

2. youlikeadajuice

While this is bad press for EVs, I believe it points out what a great job Tesla has done. I keep hearing the argument that Tesla's technology is nothing special and that "if" EVs take off, every major auto maker will just start churning them out. I think they are severely underestimating Tesla's tech. I also think it's silly to blow things out of proportion when an EV catches fire...don't ICE vehicles catch fire a lot?

3. Mycroft

Mycroft Life happens

Yeah, Lamborghinis and Ferraris are notorious!

4. richkae

richkae VIN587

5. Ampster

Ampster Member

Fire suppression is an important part of how Tesla has modified the 18650 cells. CapitalistOppresser's great thread about the Tesla technology articultes that pretty well.

6. Johann Koeber

Johann Koeber Member

7. jomo25

jomo25 P4398

8. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Not yet. A roadster has some smoldering or smoke form a pinched cable to the 12V battery I think but that's it.

9. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

This is a non-event. Wasn't even the car.

Just last month I encountered a burning ICE powered minivan, near our office. Happens all the time, doesn't make the news.

10. richkae

richkae VIN587

How many times have you listened to the traffic report and heard "traffic is backed at intersection of X and Y up due to a car fire in the shoulder" and just ignored it.
    I used to ignore it, but now I take notice: another one of those flammable ICE cars burning again.

11. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

12. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

and ICE can continue to catch fire without a big stink.... However, let one MS go up in flames and Faux News will declare the end of the world. As my dad would say, life is not fair.

13. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator

Hold on a minute. I'm calling BS on this one: "1 in 1400 ICE per year in a fire". Just because you read it on the internet doesn't make it true, and I'd like a little background confirmation before this goes down a gospel. It DOES NOT help our cause to use faulty data.

Now, if it IS true, that's fine - but let's see the hard facts, ma'am.

14. richkae

richkae VIN587

I provided the link to the vehicle fire data.

15. TurboFroggy

TurboFroggy Member

From the NFPA official site:
    http://www.nfpa.org/categoryList.asp?categoryID=1123&cookie%5Ftest=1

"U.S. fire departments responded to an estimated average of 152,300 automobile fires per year in 2006-2010. These fires caused an average of 209 civilian deaths, 764 civilian injuries, and $536 million in direct property damage."

152,300 car fires per year = A gas car burns up every 3 1/2 minutes just in the US.

16. richkae

richkae VIN587

Although I will admit that it is possible that the International Union of Concerned Firefighters is overstating the fire risk because they are after the huge pile of o-so-lucrative grant money to research how to keep people from burning up in cars. But I think it is most likely that they are providing the best data and analysis that they can out of genuine concern for the human race because they could easily find gainful employment researching how to keep people from being killed by bullets instead. I would instead focus my doubt on the cartel of "big fire" who claim that fire is and always will be a natural phenomenon immune from anthropogenic influence regardless of how much gasoline you throw on it.

17. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

Are we jumping the gun on this one?

According to Bloomberg, Porsche have yet to state that was an EV. Could be a hybrid or some ICE prototype.

This thread title should be ammended to "Porsche prototype goes up in flames - test equipment blamed" until we have a clearer picture.

Original story source seems to be here: http://m.stuttgarter-zeitung.de/inhalt.ludwigsburg-wertvoller-porsche-prototyp-in-flammen.bb1f4ec4-4116-475b-8f31-3e2aa80808f8.html

18. rabar10

rabar10 FFE until Model 3

Agreed. Several other story sources state only an "alternative-drive" vehicle, no indication of a pure EV. Thread renamed.