Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Porsche Whistleblower: “60% of all delivered Taycan have battery issues“

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, if it were true, you’d think it would be a known problem on a Porsche forum…
So true. I used to be a 1990's Range Rover fan. Rover forums clearly displayed all that was wrong. No sugar coating. Same with our old 2000 M5. M5 forums constantly warned about VANOS system or carbon buildup problems. We love the car but sold it before the warranty ended.

I do believe if these Porsche problems were indeed rampant, they'd be all over the forums.

Reactions: XLR82XS
I do believe if these Porsche problems were indeed rampant, they'd be all over the forums.
I checked the taycan forums. There's a main thread on this article and forum posters seem to be in denial and opposition of the article. Hmm, I can see why I mean it's hard to just accept something like that at face value. There was one poster who shared his issues which correlated with the battery/charger aspects of the article and other posters tried talking him down, explaining away his issues. Outside of that article I noticed a couple handfuls of dead taycans with battery to charger issues and that was just a couple pages. What's crazy is the the time these owners lose when they do have an issue. It seems to take PCNA weeks to months to diagnose and then they are waiting more months on repair or replacement. Some owners don't even have eta's. To be fair Tesla's have issues too but I don't think it's that bad and obviously there is a huge difference between issues to volume of cars on Tesla side. With so few Taycans I'm curious why it's not a bigger deal the issues they have with dead cars.

Wow, Teslarati publishes a hit piece on Porsche. How things have changed.

That said I guess there is part truth in this, but most probably not at the level described. Cells fail, chargers fail - on all brands.

I have only seen a few owners of Audi etron, the most sold car here last year, complain in social media about charger or battery issues. I guess cells and charger is from the same manufacturer as Taycan use.

It seems Dräxlmaier producer the pack for Taycan, but where does the cells come from?

I checked the taycan forums. There's a main thread on this article and forum posters seem to be in denial and opposition of the article. Hmm, I can see why I mean it's hard to just accept something like that at face value. There was one poster who shared his issues which correlated with the battery/charger aspects of the article and other posters tried talking him down, explaining away his issues. Outside of that article I noticed a couple handfuls of dead taycans with battery to charger issues and that was just a couple pages. What's crazy is the the time these owners lose when they do have an issue. It seems to take PCNA weeks to months to diagnose and then they are waiting more months on repair or replacement. Some owners don't even have eta's. To be fair Tesla's have issues too but I don't think it's that bad and obviously there is a huge difference between issues to volume of cars on Tesla side. With so few Taycans I'm curious why it's not a bigger deal the issues they have with dead cars.

I have a Taycan Turbo S and I'm a regular on the Taycan forum. Only two major issues have occurred with the Taycan that owners are aware of. One had to do with the 12V battery dying which was fixed with a software update. The second was a software issues that caused the vehicle to believe there was a lose of power at the motor and it would shut down the vehicle. The loss of power issue actually started to occur right after Porsche issued the first software update to fix the 12V issue. Obviously they messed up the code and created the issue themselves. Both of these issues were correct by Porsche going through the full recall process.

One Taycan fire has ever been reported and was in Florida right after the Taycan launched. No other major problems have been reported. A couple of individuals have had their battery packs replaced, but Porsche was transparent about the replacement process and it typically took weeks to fix. Not something a Porsche dealer could do under the radar. This is also common with many EVs. For example there have been several individuals with the Model S refresh that have required replacement batteries.

Personally I've driven my Taycan over 10k miles and regularly charge at 4.3kW on my home charger, which according to the article is supposed to be the worst case condition. I've had no issues with my car other than the two software updates mentioned above.

There is a lot of skepticism for several reasons. First the author claims that Porsche is replacing battery modules in fairly high number without the owners being aware of the repair. There are 650 Porsche dealerships world wide and over 40k Taycan's on the street. This would take a massive conspiracy to pull off this type of "secret" repairs. The second reason is the author spoke to a single whistle blower and offers no physical evidence. He also hasn't provided a second source to confirm any of the claims. Third he is an over the top Tesla supporter and investor who can't be considered an unbiased source.

Clearly if any of these claims are true, then it would be huge news. But at the moment there is no sign of any sort of massive issue with the Taycan at least in the eyes of their owners. If 60% are susceptible to this problem, it seems that many owners would be reporting issues with charging, fires, or battery degradation, and the dealership miraculously fixing the issue without directly explaining the repair.

As EV owners and supporters none of us should cheer when another EV potentially suffers from a problem. Unfortunately there seems to be more fighting and misinformation within the EV community than from the outside.

Thats a pretty bombshell of an article. If the word Tesla was in front of it rather than porsche, I would likely be hearing about it on national syndicated news channels. I doubt it will get carried like that here, though, since its porsche instead.

Of the many things in that article that were interesting (and I dont normally find articles about product failures interesting), was the warranty stipulations laid out by porsche to maintain warranty on the battery, and how relatively short the battery warranty is. From the article:

================================

A REMARKABLY SHORT WARRANTY

An apparent hint of Porsche’s challenges with the Taycan’s battery could be seen in the warranty for the all-electric sports car, which happens to be one of the lowest on the market with just 60,000 km or three years if following conditions (Porsche Warranty Requirements) are not met:

Vehicles standing longer than two weeks supposed to be connected to a charger

• Customers must assure that the Taycan’s state of charge remains between 20% – 50%
  • Customers must make sure that their Taycan is not exposed to continuous sunlight
Vehicles standing longer than two weeks not connected to a charger

• Customers must charge the Taycan’s battery before to 50%
  • Customers must check every three months and assure SoC remains at or above 20%
  • Customers must assure that their vehicle’s temperature is between 0C – 20C
While 160,000 km is an average battery warranty in the industry, Porsche confirmed to me the 100,000 km lower, 60,000 km warranty and its restrictions.
================================

I mean, wow... Its not even a 40k mile warranty, and has all these stipulations on it. Now, granted, the average porsche is not someones "daily" unless you are talking about the SUVs, but.....

I wonder how much traction this will get? (rhetorical question.. probably not much, will get swept up in the news cycle in a few days tops would be my guess).

@ecarfan , thanks for sharing!

None of this language is included in the US Taycan warranty.

https://files.porsche.com/filestore...5056bbdc38/2021-US-Taycan-Warranty-Manual.pdf

Here is the language from the European site. The claims from the article aren't from the warranty itself, but recommendations Porsche has for maintaining the health of the battery.

A lithium-ion battery is subject to physical and chemical ageing, as well as wear and tear. This reduces the battery capacity, depending on the usage pattern and environmental conditions, resulting in a reduction in range and an increase in charging times as the battery ages. Due to the effect of temperature on battery and charging performance, as well as battery life, please consider the following when parking, driving and charging your car:

If possible, avoid permanent ambient temperatures of over 30°C, such as prolonged parking in direct sunlight.

If you cannot avoid ambient temperatures of over 30°C when stationary, connect the vehicle to the mains supply after use and charge the high-voltage battery with AC (alternating current) to a maximum charge status of 85%.

If the car is left stationary for more than two weeks, the ambient temperature should, if possible, be between 0°C and 20°C and the battery charge status maintained between 20% and 50% during this time.
For the shortest possible charging time, a battery temperature of approx. 30°C to 35°C is ideal.

If charging the car on a daily basis, the maximum charge status of the high-voltage battery should be set to approx. 80%.

Porsche Important information about the all-electric Porsche models - Porsche Great Britain

None of this language is included in the US Taycan warranty.

https://files.porsche.com/filestore...5056bbdc38/2021-US-Taycan-Warranty-Manual.pdf

Here is the language from the European site. The claims from the article aren't from the warranty itself, but recommendations Porsche has for maintaining the health of the battery.

A lithium-ion battery is subject to physical and chemical ageing, as well as wear and tear. This reduces the battery capacity, depending on the usage pattern and environmental conditions, resulting in a reduction in range and an increase in charging times as the battery ages. Due to the effect of temperature on battery and charging performance, as well as battery life, please consider the following when parking, driving and charging your car:

If possible, avoid permanent ambient temperatures of over 30°C, such as prolonged parking in direct sunlight.

If you cannot avoid ambient temperatures of over 30°C when stationary, connect the vehicle to the mains supply after use and charge the high-voltage battery with AC (alternating current) to a maximum charge status of 85%.

If the car is left stationary for more than two weeks, the ambient temperature should, if possible, be between 0°C and 20°C and the battery charge status maintained between 20% and 50% during this time.
For the shortest possible charging time, a battery temperature of approx. 30°C to 35°C is ideal.

If charging the car on a daily basis, the maximum charge status of the high-voltage battery should be set to approx. 80%.

Porsche Important information about the all-electric Porsche models - Porsche Great Britain

exactly. note that the author of the article kept saying •”must” when the above says “should”, “if possible”, “is ideal”, “please consider”. there is a difference

this improper editorializing and getting the facts wrong shows the author is peddling fake news and is not particularly credible.

Last edited:
Some of the whistleblower articles claims 360+ Taycans have spontaneously caught on fire already, some claim even more (1% of all Taycans sold for example), yet the internet and Taycan forums cannot find all but one, possible (but not confirmed) undamaged battery fire incident. Article makes wild claims such as warranty exclusions which don't show up in the warranty terms of people who own them and pulled up their warranty documents. It also claims folks pay for battery repair, while pretty much all Taycans are still under warranty (not a single Taycan forum member was able to corroborate having to pay for battery fix). There are a number of wild claims which don't make sense or pass a fact check (e.g. Taycan and eTron GT are not based on the PPE BEV platform the article claims they are, but rather the J1 platform - see here).

Strip all the media hype from all this, and it appears that yes, there is some issue with the European 3 phase 22KW AC charger in Taycans when charging using only a single phase. This theory is supported by the fact that Porsche in Europe started recommending charging below the max rate when using single phase. The details on what the problem are sparse for now, but Porsche mentions charging a max single phase rate may reduce longevity of the charger (nothing said about batteries).

Bottom line, as with all fake news, this one is probably based on some grain of truth. We don't know at this time what that truth is, as it's bundled in a whole bunch of FUD.

Full disclosure, I'm waiting for a Taycan allocation (in Tesla terms, I have a refundable deposit reservation with no committed production or delivery date). I'm in the USA, so this probably doesn't even affect me, but honestly, I've seen much more FUD about Teslas spontaneously catching on fire, exploding (yes, some people claimed spontaneous explosions LOL), or other BS. If I believed all of those, I would have never bought a single Tesla, but instead I bought 4 brand new Model S'es, and you know what, none of them caught on fire, or exploded.

The author is definitely one serious journalist. /sarcasm

1638396994112-png.26492
Let's this kind of a car is sold to high end audience who with some sort of education or brain will ask themselves the right questions before judging, especially as the evidence is as good as the he said, she said bulls**t.
I would like to see a video of this crash, as well as speed.

Let's this kind of a car is sold to high end audience who with some sort of education or brain will ask themselves the right questions before judging, especially as the evidence is as good as the he said, she said bulls**t.
I would like to see a video of this crash, as well as speed.
That's the FUD equavalent of posting a photo of a Tesla vehicle on fire after an accident and saying "Tesla NOT safe!!!".

Funny enough over on a very popular Porsche forum I follow they are in complete denial and claim this all 100% fake news. I usually say on these things where there is smoke there is fire and something is up. Maybe not as extreme as portrayed at first but something is up.

I said the same as you here on the Porsche Forum and then I was completely inundated with negative comments. The participants on this form do not understand that such a thing is never made public by Porsche directly.
I hope to become a Porsche Taycan owner soon.

Reactions: XLR82XS
I’ll be curious to see how Taycan is after several years of ownership. Especially after warranty expiration. Honeymoon phase is not just a “thing” with Tesla. ESPECIALLY when owners say how Tesla service was great early on but now it’s crap. Well, that may just hold true with Rivian, Lucid and others. We shall see.

• Informative
Reactions: SwedishAdvocate
Thanks for posting.

Execs are only focused on containing the company's reputational damage. See Dieselgate for a recent example.

If that Porsche employee is based in the US they could do the right thing for consumers and possibily have a big pay day. The US has the right incentive because their career in the automotive industry is over.

"The U.S. government's road safety agency has paid more than $24 million to a whistleblower who reported that Hyundai and Kia moved too slowly to recall over 1 million vehicles with engines that could freeze up or catch fire."

Some of the video contents may have been mentioned in the thread but adding in case it provides TL;DR context.

Reactions: thesmokingman
A friend who has a Tesla decided to try a few other options. He ordered 2 x Taycans, 2 x EQS and 2 x Hummer.

They received their first Taycan 3 weeks ago and left town for 2 weeks. The Taycan was plugged in at home the whole time and today they found it completely dead. They can’t open the doors and the charger is locked to the car, so they called Porsche who’s answer was you aren’t supposed to leave it plugged in.

He’s instructed them to come and pick it up and he’s done with the car. His second order is canceled and he’s sticking with Tesla.

Does anyone know if this is actually true and you aren’t supposed to leave it plugged in ?