Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Positioning charger in one-car garage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am starting the purchase process of a new condo that hasn't been built yet, as soon as I get everything signed they will start construction. I am going to have the builder put in a circuit for a wall connector in the one-car garage, but I am trying to decide what would be the best location. Currently, I live in a condo without any charging at home so I haven't really gone through any at-home charging exercise before. The garage is roughly 22x12, and I am currently considering two locations. See below:

upload_2020-5-12_15-16-6.png

The door with the red X is just a closet with my water heater and is not germane to this discussion. The red line is the door into the house, and the vehicle door is at the top of the image. I'm considering location A and B. I am not sure if I will want to pull straight in or back into the garage. I kind of think I would like the option for both but...

There's a complicating factor. I have a motorcycle that I also need to park in this garage, and I'd like to be able to park everything such that if I wanted to ride the motorcycle, I don't have to move the car. I'm thinking pull the car over as far as I can towards the passenger side (opposite the propose charge locations) and that would let me put the bike on the driver side of the car if I pull the car straight in.

So, based on my A/B proposals, what do most folks do, and what would you guys recommend? I'm guessing B gives the best flexibility, but with an 18 foot cable on the Gen 3 wall connector, I'm afraid it might be too far if I pull straight in. I don't want to move it too far down the wall towards the vehicle door since I want to retain accessibility to the charger if I back in

The main annoyance we've had is stepping over/under the cables when we stray from our usual routines. Parking as far to the passenger side (when pulling in front first) is a good idea for access to the motorcycle from the house or outside. But you wouldn't want A or B in that case, with a cable running to the car right across your path to the motorcycle or your garage door.

My semi-similar case, two cars instead of a motorcycle, in a three car garage, has an HPWC (wall connector) directly across the garage from A to charge the car on the left. An HPWC at A (in our case between the double door on the left and the single door to the right) takes care of the car on the right. We both are parked behind the double door. We always pull in front first. Our power panel is on the right, perhaps like yours, on the outside of that wall of the garage. I ran wires in conduit over the garage doors to reach the left wall. It goes to an HPWC with the 24' cord (Gen 2), which shares the circuit with another HPWC at our point A with the 8' cord. I could back the left-hand car into the garage and charge from the long cord, but it wouldn't be as easy. The cord running from A to the right-hand car blocks easy exit from the garage door. Not a big problem for us, since we have a three car garage with a single garage door on the right that gives us a clear path through the garage.

I'm thinking you might like it better if your single HPWC is across the garage from A, with the car pulled as far to the side as possible. You'll have to walk behind the car to grab the charge cord and get it plugged into your charge port, but it will be out of the way. Your other options involve longer runs between the HPWC and the car.

Several people have installed ceiling mounted charge cords, which might be of interest to you.

• Helpful
Reactions: Mixdup
...A/B proposals...

"A" is most convenient if you head in.

If you back in, "A" might not reach the rear driver side charge port. In this case, "B" is not that convenient either but it's doable. I would suggest a "C" which is the opposite side of "B".

I used to avoid backing in prior to Tesla. But since I got Tesla in 2012, I prefer backing in thanks to its rear camera.

I agree with @animorph that it's a good idea to clear the path for pedestrian traffic on the side of A and B because that's where the home entry door is.

• Helpful
Reactions: Big Earl and Mixdup
The main annoyance we've had is stepping over/under the cables when we stray from our usual routines. Parking as far to the passenger side (when pulling in front first) is a good idea for access to the motorcycle from the house or outside. But you wouldn't want A or B in that case, with a cable running to the car right across your path to the motorcycle or your garage door.

My semi-similar case, two cars instead of a motorcycle, in a three car garage, has an HPWC (wall connector) directly across the garage from A to charge the car on the left. An HPWC at A (in our case between the double door on the left and the single door to the right) takes care of the car on the right. We both are parked behind the double door. We always pull in front first. Our power panel is on the right, perhaps like yours, on the outside of that wall of the garage. I ran wires in conduit over the garage doors to reach the left wall. It goes to an HPWC with the 24' cord (Gen 2), which shares the circuit with another HPWC at our point A with the 8' cord. I could back the left-hand car into the garage and charge from the long cord, but it wouldn't be as easy. The cord running from A to the right-hand car blocks easy exit from the garage door. Not a big problem for us, since we have a three car garage with a single garage door on the right that gives us a clear path through the garage.

I'm thinking you might like it better if your single HPWC is across the garage from A, with the car pulled as far to the side as possible. You'll have to walk behind the car to grab the charge cord and get it plugged into your charge port, but it will be out of the way. Your other options involve longer runs between the HPWC and the car.

Several people have installed ceiling mounted charge cords, which might be of interest to you.

So, I didn't really think about across from A, but that is not a bad suggestion. I am actually not entirely sure which wall the power panel will be on (depends which end of the building this unit is), but the unit I saw it is indeed on the opposite wall. This is all during construction so it's not a huge cost to be on the other wall. I have also seen some pictures of overhead installation, which intrigues me. I'm just a little concerned about the shorter cord length of the Gen 3 HPWC. Now, opposite of A, but further into the garage a bit is starting to grow on me. Close enough to the garage door so it can reach if I pull head in, but also down the wall a little bit to reach if I back in

"A" is most convenient if you head in.

If you back in, "A" might not reach the rear driver side charge port. In this case, "B" is not that convenient either but it's doable. I would suggest a "C" which is the opposite side of "B".

I used to avoid backing in prior to Tesla. But since I got Tesla in 2012, I prefer backing in thanks to its rear camera.

I agree with @animorph that it's a good idea to clear the path for pedestrian traffic on the side of A and B because that's where the home entry door is.

Yep, I think you're both right, pulling the cord out of the path is going to be important. Due to the orientation of the condos and the street and guest parking, most entry/exit will be through the garage, not the front door. I also agree that pull in is easiest, but I already feel that I will rather back in because of the quality of the rear camera

Considering you want to park both a car and a motorcycle, it seems that you need to park them parallel to each other.

So, you should park your car with the passenger side very close to the right wall.

It seems that the best is to backup your car all the way as close a possible to the rear door access,
so the trunk would be close to the door house, something practical if you have a lot of grocery shopping in the trunk.

In general, you access you motorcycle from the left. So you should enter it straight forward,
put the bike as much as you can against the left wall near the garage entrance, them put the bike on its stand.

In this case I would put the Tesla charger on the back wall, between the two doors, and install a hanger to keep the plug above the car.

This is the way I park my two cars in a very tight garage (see posting #2) and a nicer looking hanger (#4)

Here is another hanger setup (see posting #18)

unless you could use your door opener mechanism to hold your cable (see posting #5 and #8)

Last edited:
I am starting the purchase process of a new condo that hasn't been built yet, as soon as I get everything signed they will start construction. I am going to have the builder put in a circuit for a wall connector in the one-car garage, but I am trying to decide what would be the best location. Currently, I live in a condo without any charging at home so I haven't really gone through any at-home charging exercise before. The garage is roughly 22x12, and I am currently considering two locations. See below:

View attachment 541113

The door with the red X is just a closet with my water heater and is not germane to this discussion. The red line is the door into the house, and the vehicle door is at the top of the image. I'm considering location A and B. I am not sure if I will want to pull straight in or back into the garage. I kind of think I would like the option for both but...

There's a complicating factor. I have a motorcycle that I also need to park in this garage, and I'd like to be able to park everything such that if I wanted to ride the motorcycle, I don't have to move the car. I'm thinking pull the car over as far as I can towards the passenger side (opposite the propose charge locations) and that would let me put the bike on the driver side of the car if I pull the car straight in.

So, based on my A/B proposals, what do most folks do, and what would you guys recommend? I'm guessing B gives the best flexibility, but with an 18 foot cable on the Gen 3 wall connector, I'm afraid it might be too far if I pull straight in. I don't want to move it too far down the wall towards the vehicle door since I want to retain accessibility to the charger if I back in
Do you know the Amp for the electrical breaker (50 A ?) and what kind of plug, like NEMA 14-50 (240 V 50 A ?) will be installed,
or if there will be only a connection box which would be simpler if you plan to use a Wall Charger?

If that's possible, I would recommend to have an extra 120 V 15 A which could be great for adding a 12 V tender for the motorcycle,
of even nice to have for extra lightning, vacuum cleaner, or power tool like a drill or circular wood saw., or just a charger for electrical tolls

Note: This would require to have an extra electrical line and breaker, and a GFCI socket (ground fault circuit interrupter).

Last edited:
You mean, you have both an EV and a motorcycle? Can you share a pic then?
No Motorcycle. I have two garages with chargers one is example A and the other B. After using them both over time I notice I am more bothered by having to back in than anything else. Garage B is close to the size of yours with a service door in the same area and In my situation putting in the A configuration would have been expensive, and it is just a seasonal place, so I back in to charge. Not a huge deal.

There is one further advantage to location A. If you install a 24ft HPWC, you can charge an EV parked in the driveway outside the garage (assuming your driveway is long enough to park a car there) from location A, but not from B.

I would think backing in would be very inconvenient if you are trying to pull as close to the non-A/B wall as possible. I pull my X as close to the wall as I can, since we don't use it as frequently. But doing anything on the passenger side (next to the wall) is a real pain. I wouldn't put the driver's side against the wall unless you were willing to leave 2'+ for getting out of the car and plugging in the charge cable. That won't leave as much space for the motorcycle.