Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post completion delivery timelines

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My MY VIN 57XX, MSM LR AWD with black interior and 19" Gemini wheels, was completed on Sunday 5/17. I was called the following day from the Vegas sales rep who told me it was being shipped to the Scottsdale, AZ store for dealer prep and ultimately would be delivered to my doorstep in Las Cruces. He said he would not have a timeline for that because it was up to the dealership to flag any issues that needed fixing. I let a couple of days go by and on Wednesday called the Scottsdale store to check on the status. The rep there took the RN and informed me that the car was still at the factory and it looked like they were doing dealer prep there and it would be delivered directly to me. He said they sometimes do it that way. Well the next day I got a follow-up call from Vegas and he said the car was still at the factory but should be shipped to Scottsdale in a day or two. I relayed the story that the Scottsdale rep had told me and he laughed and said he had no idea where they got that info but it wasn't true. He assured me the car would be going to Scottsdale for dealer prep. He called me again today to apologize and tell me the car was still at the factory as Tesla had implemented another series of quality assurance checks for ALL cars leaving the factory to ensure they were up to Tesla standards (not just the MYs). He said it was a new independent review. I told him I had no issues with that as I really wanted it to arrive in pristine condition without any flaws. He told me it should ship out on Monday or Tuesday to the dealership. We shall see...

Wow.. thatnks of the detailed walkthru. If that's true.. it's a great news.. finally some QC. I would rather wait few more days .. than going back and forth to the service.. not to mention all the stresses and time wasted on the road.
Keep us updated.

Reactions: Kelr316
My MY VIN 57XX, MSM LR AWD with black interior and 19" Gemini wheels, was completed on Sunday 5/17. I was called the following day from the Vegas sales rep who told me it was being shipped to the Scottsdale, AZ store for dealer prep and ultimately would be delivered to my doorstep in Las Cruces. He said he would not have a timeline for that because it was up to the dealership to flag any issues that needed fixing. I let a couple of days go by and on Wednesday called the Scottsdale store to check on the status. The rep there took the RN and informed me that the car was still at the factory and it looked like they were doing dealer prep there and it would be delivered directly to me. He said they sometimes do it that way. Well the next day I got a follow-up call from Vegas and he said the car was still at the factory but should be shipped to Scottsdale in a day or two. I relayed the story that the Scottsdale rep had told me and he laughed and said he had no idea where they got that info but it wasn't true. He assured me the car would be going to Scottsdale for dealer prep. He called me again today to apologize and tell me the car was still at the factory as Tesla had implemented another series of quality assurance checks for ALL cars leaving the factory to ensure they were up to Tesla standards (not just the MYs). He said it was a new independent review. I told him I had no issues with that as I really wanted it to arrive in pristine condition without any flaws. He told me it should ship out on Monday or Tuesday to the dealership. We shall see...

Thanks for the detail.
So glad to hear that they are improving their QC now.

I am waiting for my delivery of MY but so worry about all the issues read on this forum.

Reactions: Kelr316
thanks for posting your story @Stuck4ger , my delivery was originally set for 5/25 in Seattle-Renton, but I was told today it needed to be moved to 5/28 to be safe due to a delivery delay; from your post, sounds like it's the QC step.

VIN on my blue PUP white interior is 31xx but it's "birthday" as delivery advisor said was 5/18. I'm now looking forward to a smooth delivery.

Reactions: Stuck4ger

Stuck4ger, when did you order your Y?

@Merlot - @DennyL 's was delivered yesterday and built 5/17 #71 .. should give some indication of what to expect.. but because it was delivered so fast, possible it did not have this post-production quality control step?

Thanks for the info! Overall, nothing to worry about if we had similar quality. But of course, a bit more post production QA may resolve a few of those issues as well.

Our service center has a sales office with a model Y available for test drive. So we are excited to test drive one on this coming Wednesday!

@Merlot - @DennyL 's was delivered yesterday and built 5/17 #71 .. should give some indication of what to expect.. but because it was delivered so fast, possible it did not have this post-production quality control step?

Yes, there are still lingering quality issues. Multiple paint chip and the detail team did a touch up on it. I thought it was all good because its a sunny day, didn't see any issues with the touch up. Then this morning checked on the touch up paint which turned out to be white. Great.. white touch up paint on Pearl is noticeable. I am likely going to return the car. Not happy with how this was handled and not going to wait for service that will be another week which will be outside the return window.

My delivery advisor informed it came off the factory on 5/17, which imo likely there wasn't any QC done.

Pictures of the paint issues.
Model Y PUP Pearl White

Last edited:
Reactions: Matsayz
Glad to hear they have added a QC process. Hopefully that is true. I have not received a text or an email, but this morning the mvpa showed up in my Tesla account. It shows my VIN is 99xx. Very close to 10k. White MY w/ black interior. Gemini wheels.

I notice the VIN’s people are waiting for range from 31xx to 99xx. The factory must really be cranking them out quickly.

Yes, there are still lingering quality issues. Multiple paint chip and the detail team did a touch up on it. I thought it was all good because its a sunny day, didn't see any issues with the touch up. Then this morning checked on the touch up paint which turned out to be white. Great.. white touch up paint on Pearl is noticeable. I am likely going to return the car. Not happy with how this was handled and not going to wait for service that will be another week which will be outside the return window.

My delivery advisor informed it came off the factory on 5/17, which imo likely there wasn't any QC done.

Model Y PUP Pearl White

That's crazy. Is that toothpaste ? Wtf.

Model Y PUP Pearl White

Wow they did a terrible job. If there are no other issues with the car (the back seat issue, hooks, head pump noise) etc... maybe see if Tesla would cover the cost of taking the car to a pro paint shop to fix it up? Would be better than returning and waiting another 3 to 4 months for another one.

Also, if you return, do you get the $100 back? If not, maybe worth putting that $100 towards a pro shop fixing up the paint?

Because what are the chances of getting a new one 3 to 4 months from now and it having other issues on top of paint?

Hopefully this new QC process makes these issues less likely, but we dont really know whats happening at Tesla... we can only assume.

• Disagree
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Wow they did a terrible job. If there are no other issues with the car (the back seat issue, hooks, head pump noise) etc... maybe see if Tesla would cover the cost of taking the car to a pro paint shop to fix it up? Would be better than returning and waiting another 3 to 4 months for another one.

Also, if you return, do you get the $100 back? If not, maybe worth putting that $100 towards a pro shop fixing up the paint?

Because what are the chances of getting a new one 3 to 4 months from now and it having other issues on top of paint?

Hopefully this new QC process makes these issues less likely, but we dont really know whats happening at Tesla... we can only assume.

I was hoping the same for post shutdown quality was resolved. The issue is how they did the touch up, how can I trust them to do it correctly? The car had paint issues and delivered it as is. I had given them the opportunity to address it so I can take the delivery but look how it turned out.

If you don't have the right tools to do the proper job or touch up, say so and don't touch it! That I wouldn't have a problem with. Why touch it. I don't know, maybe someone else will be okay with it how it was done, but not for me. My Model 3 paint was flawless so I do know what I am looking for.

For my order in 1/20, it was the $2500 refundable deposit. I am planning to wait this out to see if the quality issues are resolved next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: teko