Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post Initial Problems with the Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am sure it is a moment that would hopefully pass but right now I am really disappointed with Tesla.
Our Model X is headed back to the SC tomorrow (Monday) after already having spent 16 days there.

This time it is for the front passenger side window being misaligned. It closed with a huge gap on Saturday and went downhill afterwards. I went through the recalibrate sequence a couple of times with help from tech support folks but it did not work. In fact tech support was quite certain that it needs a SC visit. At this point one of the following things happens.
- the window does not respond to the button
- the window goes up but on locking the door, it drops half way down
- the windows stays up but is misaligned so the door does not close.

There we go again!

I am sure it is a moment that would hopefully pass but right now I am really disappointed with Tesla. Yesterday morning I emailed SC and left a message for SC (Palo Alto) regarding my issue. A SC manager call me and promised to coordinate the service (pick up, loaner etc.)
More than 24 hours later, there has been no follow-up. None, zilch. Not withstanding the fact that we have a car thats not operable, my wife suspended her schedule waiting around for the coordination yesterday. Argh!!

It's arguable that that encouraging the viability of a completely electric vehicle company (by purchasing their vehicles) has a more powerful outcome than addressing only one's personal net emissions. If everyone just rode their bikes, then the 400k+ preorders for Model 3 sedans wouldn't exist.

Also, carbon credits/offsets don't really make much progress towards eventual carbon reduction. The consensus on those is that they're of low value.

That's one of the key drivers for my purchase of Model S in 2013 and Model X this year, buying and holding Tesla stock, and posting to counter some of the FUD and outright lies on WSJ and other publications including their comments.

I want Tesla to succeed, and through that success achieve its mission by driving all automakers to shift to EVs or fade into insignificance. That impact is far greater than my family or town going zero carbon, and will have additional spill-on effects of EV owners going solar, grid storage, etc.

And the car is amazing. I love my S, which I will sell after my son uses it for the summer, but the X is on yet another level.

My X is on its third visit to the shop, addressing wind noise (fixed with new seals), an FWD that sometimes wasn't quite latching (addressed), cosmetic body trim issues (working on now), a fold/crease in the driver's seat leather (will be replaced when part arrives, along with the recalled rear seats). And they've scheduled the service around my travel schedule, each time picking up my car before I was leaving town for a few days and wouldn't be using it anyway. This week is the first time I've needed a loaner (which they brought to my house Saturday morning after I returned home Friday evening) because the trim work is taking a bit longer than expected. Looking forward to having it back shortly with everything taken care of.

Reactions: ohmman
I had the recall work done last week. At the same time, they removed the adhesive that was stuck on the inside windshield and FWD roof glass upon delivery. That's all better, but they somehow broke the sliding door in the center console. It only opens half way and automatically closes. I called the SC and now I have to bring the car back in. While I do, I'll ask them to investigate the wind noise from the passenger front corner.

My worry as well...seals holding over time is also my biggest concern...
A one inch adhesive loss yesterday turned into the entire curve at the driver door today when examined at the SC. Once the tape fails, it's only a short time for the entire weatherstrip to come loose. 3M has the following reasons to use their adhesive system:

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/...-to-choose-tape.pdf?fn=top_10_reasons_aft.pdf

Yet, compared with Model S, there is no comparison. Model S weather seals continue to last where the double stick tape is NOT used. Thankfully the new Model S refresh continues to use the point attachment method for many of the seals where Model X uses double stick tape.

My teenage VIN Model X Signature was manufactured in November, 2015. Now six months old, IMHO, a highly recommended time to start checking your seals to see if they are attached to the vehicle painted surfaces. You won't need to pull on them, they will drop off on their own if the adhesive fails.

A one inch adhesive loss yesterday turned into the entire curve at the driver door today when examined at the SC. Once the tape fails, it's only a short time for the entire weatherstrip to come loose. 3M has the following reasons to use their adhesive system:

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/...-to-choose-tape.pdf?fn=top_10_reasons_aft.pdf

Yet, compared with Model S, there is no comparison. Model S weather seals continue to last where the double stick tape is NOT used. Thankfully the new Model S refresh continues to use the point attachment method for many of the seals where Model X uses double stick tape.

My teenage VIN Model X Signature was manufactured in November, 2015. Now six months old, IMHO, a highly recommended time to start checking your seals to see if they are attached to the vehicle painted surfaces. You won't need to pull on them, they will drop off on their own if the adhesive fails.

Thanks for feedback....noticed driver side door seal not covering all of paint and top piece is loose......another item for repair tomorrow.

I had the recall work done last week. At the same time, they removed the adhesive that was stuck on the inside windshield and FWD roof glass upon delivery. That's all better, but they somehow broke the sliding door in the center console. It only opens half way and automatically closes. I called the SC and now I have to bring the car back in. While I do, I'll ask them to investigate the wind noise from the passenger front corner.

I had what may be the same problem with the console door after my X came back from the SC. I reached inside and figured out the problem. There is a diagnostic connector on a cable that sits above the sliding door track, towards the frunk. If the cable is used and then not stowed away properly, it hangs down and blocks the door from sliding forward. I was able to hold it up enough to slide open the door, but if I later closed it the connector fell back down to the blocking position. SC took care of it right away.

• Helpful
Reactions: KKelly
Update on SMX 811: About 2 months and just under 5000 miles when a long-planned week at the Dedham spa to sort out a clicking noise was timed perfectly to fix problem turn signal lights (failed days before appt) and my first FWD ghost object.
The work included:
3rd row seat replacement (wasn’t sure they were going to have black in stock in time)
Replaced FWD US sensors due to poor adhesion and applied acoustic tape around sensors (known problem here) and some sensor cladding due to cosmetic defect (??).
Replaced driver’s seat due various small things and an immobile headrest (aftermarket back cover wrap preserved)
Replaced passenger headrest motor (aftermarket back cover wrap preserved)
Replaced both front fascia light kits
Adjusted rear hatch bumpers for a better fit
Updated firmware
Courtesy inspection

Aaaand, they drove me to the airport in a pretty MS after I dropped off my car and drove my car back to me at the airport (cutting at least an hour out of my travel time) and brought along a beautiful red MS along for their ride back.

Buuuut, the clicking noise that started all this appointment planning is still there. Clicking sound from resting car?

So now I cannot say the car was flawless: the turn lights did stop working and the original FWD sensors were not robust but it has been a great ride all the while and I love the AP.