Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post Initial Problems with the Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to diligently read through this entire thread and make an exhaustive list of what all to look out for when my turn comes. I will charge Tesla SC to acquire that list and contribute that money to this forum. Said checklist will definitely save the SC time and money from owners coming back with problematic items. On a related note, my enthusiasm is a tad dampened after reading through countless nitty gritty issues... **sigh**

Wouldn't that engage the brakes?
It would. But I think we are talking about a car that sits fixed in the car wash and the equipment moves around the car.

But thank's for pointing that out. This is the second time I have been caught in a discussion about car washes and ones that draw the car through versus the wash machine travels back and forth across the car. Obviously if your car wash drags your car through, don't try this. Then pay attention to the point that Tesla advises Model X and S owners to only use touchless car washes.

It would. But I think we are talking about a car that sits fixed in the car wash and the equipment moves around the car.

But thank's for pointing that out. This is the second time I have been caught in a discussion about car washes and ones that draw the car through versus the wash machine travels back and forth across the car. Obviously if your car wash drags your car through, don't try this. Then pay attention to the point that Tesla advises Model X and S owners to only use touchless car washes.

What about putting it in Tow Mode first?

This is just ridiculous that the Model X is so "advanced" that it can't be driven through a car wash. Would it really be so difficult for Tesla to give the driver manual control over the spoiler when driving slowly or in neutral (and then letting neutral stay on long enough to complete the car wash)? I can't believe how many things like this I've been reading on this forum that requires my palm to hit my forehead. I'm starting to get a headache.

If car washes did such a horrible job, scratching every car that came through and ripping off spoilers en masse, they'd go out of business. I think the hyperbole is a little unnecessary. I've gone to the same 2 or 3 local automatic car washes for 15 years, and never found a scratch or other damage from them on any of my vehicles. Just driving on the highway creates more nicks and scratches than any car wash I've ever been to.

Reactions: Drivin
This is just ridiculous that the Model X is so "advanced" that it can't be driven through a car wash. Would it really be so difficult for Tesla to give the driver manual control over the spoiler when driving slowly or in neutral (and then letting neutral stay on long enough to complete the car wash)? I can't believe how many things like this I've been reading on this forum that requires my palm to hit my forehead. I'm starting to get a headache.
It should be easy to do this given its all software controlled. One less thing to worry about IMHO. But playing devil's advocate, what are the chance of someone forgetting to lower the spoiler when entering the car wash.. let's say after a long day at work, caffeine wearing off, with 2 kids screaming in the back seat and while on call with the wife giving you the grocery list :)

I told my wife I was going to drive her to some tourist spots and start opening and closing the door on her so everyone can see her sitting when she doesn't expect it lol...

Needless to say she didn't find it funny.
You know that she can retaliate by pressing on the second row seat-forward-and-stow button. I am told that also moves the first row to the front and leaves it there (knee buster!). Or she can simply wave the second key fob around your driver door to make your doors open.. wait.. gah!! thatswhy you did not choose PUP! **evil grin**
This car is made for shenanigans is what it boils down to.

I tried tow mode. The spoiler stays up.

The power off is just a temporary fix. I suspect we will see a third option on the spoiler to lock it down while in park or neutral soon.
What beats me is why does the spoiler need to be up at any speed < 20mpH (its not doing anything except adding to aesthetics?), could that be a simple solution? This also implies N/P/Off states the spoiler stays down.

Reactions: Drivin
What beats me is why does the spoiler need to be up at any speed < 20mpH (its not doing anything except adding to aesthetics?), could that be a simple solution? This also implies N/P/Off states the spoiler stays down.
Your view out the back is blocked when the spoiler is parked. The <45 mph has the best visibility as a thin narrow strip. Plus the rear brake light is in the trailing edge of the spoiler.