Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post Initial Problems with the Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • Rear trunk won't close on it's own; with nothing in the trunk and open, I'll press the button to close, and it will get 99% there then fail to latch and re-open and beep at me, angrily.

If this is anything like the rear hatch of the Model S, then a few types of things can cause this issue. Stoppers or latch can be misaligned, or the pinch strip sensors can be misfiring. Took the service center multiple trips to figure out why my hatch wasn't closing all the time (would fail as you described once every 3 or 4 tries -- and I use the hatch at least 2x a day it was super annoying). Since they fixed the pinch sensors it has been flawless.

If this is anything like the rear hatch of the Model S, then a few types of things can cause this issue. Stoppers or latch can be misaligned, or the pinch strip sensors can be misfiring. Took the service center multiple trips to figure out why my hatch wasn't closing all the time (would fail as you described once every 3 or 4 tries -- and I use the hatch at least 2x a day it was super annoying). Since they fixed the pinch sensors it has been flawless.
Thanks for the tip! I'll take it into the SC this weekend or early next week and share that info with them.

This is the same problem as in the other thread. The single roof-mounted proximity sensor looking straight up tells the car that the ceiling is x meters away. The doors open, knowing this as the distance overhead. However, because the roof mounted sensor didn't see the obstruction, and the doors don't articulate soon enough to detect it, they will hit.

There are a number of solutions but the best one is to include proximity sensors at the roofline in the area of the articulating hinge (where the white paint is in your photos, right below the pipe).
I have had the same problem in a garage with a uniform ceiling (no protruding pipes, etc). The sensors should have detected the distance and prevented the doors from hitting, but they still did not work. I have a similar issue with the front doors. I understand from reading other threads that the front doors don't have proximity sensors (which they should, especially to detect poles, side view mirrors, etc), only the falcon wing doors do. But I have parked next to a brick wall, so the entire car is equidistant from the wall, but the front door still opened and hit it (luckily no scratch this time). Hopefully your suggested solution or something else will be provided by Tesla.

Took delivery March 26, MX 90D.
issues:
1. front doors opening and hitting objects and cars as reported by others
2. FWD not sensing distance to ceiling and objects. Actually hit our garage door resulting in a moderately deep scratch. Since then, had to manually stop doors (by tapping black plastic at bottom of FWD) to prevent hitting low ceilings/pipes in parking garages, etc.
3. also having front ultrasonic sensor issue with then going off all the time
4. drivers door had failure on delivery day, but was fixed with reset

Currently at the SC, now 3 days. Have not had any communication or updates except when I called yesterday (still waiting for fix from engineering?) Hoping to get it back soon because I can't wait to drive it again!

Tesla service has been subpar up to this point. My MX has been at the SC for a week now. Not once have they called to update me. I have called a couple of times since my post, but have gotten no information except that my service adviser will call me. Once, I was told that he was on the phone and would call me as soon as he got off. I called back 45 min later to find out he went home and would call me the next morning. I told them I just wanted to pick up my car if nothing was happening since I have family coming and need the extra seating in the X. I was busy the next day and did not receive a call. When I finally had a chance to call at 4 pm, I was told my service adviser was gone for the day and once again, to expect his call in the morning, since no one else knew what was going on with my car. I finally got a call today, for the first time in one week, still not from my service adviser. Unfortunately, I cannot pick up my car. Nothing was done until today, and now that I want/need my car they decide to start working on it. They tell me they took apart the falcon wing doors to try to figure out the problem, and now they are still waiting to hear from engineering. At least they are working on it and will find the fix and hopefully the next owner with the same problem won't have to wait so long.

Tesla service has been subpar up to this point.
I think they're slammed. My SC, which has always been awesome, isn't calling me back and is taking appointments well into the future. I think they're trying to balance the perception of getting to our cars quickly (appointments in a reasonable period after we call) with actually being able to get to the cars. So maybe they can't really see the car until 2 weeks from now but it's better to take it 1 week from now, get a few things done and hold it a bit longer.

I also get the feeling they're getting all of our quarter-end vehicles with lots of issues and they're having to learn how to fix some of the issues on the fly. Some of these things will probably take a couple hours in 6 months, but right now it takes days. Definitely not ideal for us early owners, but I'm confident it'll get sorted over time. Surely we'll get an occasional "thank you" from future owners.. right? Let's ask the early S owners... :rolleyes:

• Funny
Reactions: Drivin
I think they're slammed. My SC, which has always been awesome, isn't calling me back and is taking appointments well into the future. I think they're trying to balance the perception of getting to our cars quickly (appointments in a reasonable period after we call) with actually being able to get to the cars. So maybe they can't really see the car until 2 weeks from now but it's better to take it 1 week from now, get a few things done and hold it a bit longer.

I also get the feeling they're getting all of our quarter-end vehicles with lots of issues and they're having to learn how to fix some of the issues on the fly. Some of these things will probably take a couple hours in 6 months, but right now it takes days. Definitely not ideal for us early owners, but I'm confident it'll get sorted over time. Surely we'll get an occasional "thank you" from future owners.. right? Let's ask the early S owners... :rolleyes:
You are probably right that they are getting slammed. I'm fine with that given the situation. I just would rather be told, "Sorry, we are getting slammed. Someone will try to get back to you in the next few days," than be told they are going to call me when they are not. Also, if they told me that they were getting slammed, I might have said, "let me pick up my car and bring it back in a few weeks because I need it now." Communication is key. It's not the amount of time it is taking that I'm complaining about, it's the poor communication and follow up - although, I can't wait to get the car back!

Reactions: Drivin and ohmman
Rear trunk opens with the spoiler extended and doesn't account for the additional height that adds, and had crunched the beam in my parking structure at work. Twice (first time, shame on the X; second time, shame on me)
The rear trunk lid doesn't have sensors to tell it when to stop. You have to manually "train" it how high it can open. See page 12 ("Rear Trunk") of your owners manual "Adjusting the Opening Height".

Reactions: Softwizard

Thanks!;)

Reactions: ohmman and solo
The rear trunk lid doesn't have sensors to tell it when to stop. You have to manually "train" it how high it can open. See page 12 ("Rear Trunk") of your owners manual "Adjusting the Opening Height".

Tesla needs to add an option on the touchscreen to adjust the height of the trunk lid opening since there are no sensors. Many parking garages have varying clearances, so always manually stopping/adjusting the height is quite bothersome. Our old X5 had this capability using the iDrive knob.

Tesla needs to add an option on the touchscreen to adjust the height of the trunk lid opening since there are no sensors. Many parking garages have varying clearances, so always manually stopping/adjusting the height is quite bothersome. Our old X5 had this capability using the iDrive knob.
I like the way it is now, but just sent Tesla an email asking if they could program a double click on the close button to allow the door to reach it's full extent.

Reactions: Ampster
My 2 day old car has these problems:

1. Passenger FW door only opens 75% sometimes.
2. New rear seats too hard to delatch
3. Charge port does not respond to supercharger or mobile charger
4. Rear chrome trim is off
5. Driver door only partially auto opens sometimes
6. Driver door sometimes opens and closes without being near

Service is due still for some of the above but not likely until mid to late May.

• Informative
Reactions: Drivin
5. Driver door only partially auto opens sometimes
6. Driver door sometimes opens and closes without being near
I'll address these two out of order. For 6, disable auto-present. It's not ready for prime time. Then you can better evaluate the other issue.

My wife also had the same issue as your #5. The reason this occurs is because the front doors use the falcon wing door sensors to determine how far to open. Try this experiment. With auto-present off, open the driver's door by standing only in front of the driver's door itself, hitting the handle, then stepping to the right (in front of the falcon wing door) once it unlatches. It should open all the way, because it doesn't sense YOU as an obstruction. Close it, then stand right in front of the falcon wing door, the natural place to open the driver's door, and open it. It'll open partway because the falcon wing sensor sees an obstruction - you - in the way.

My wife dislikes this behavior. Her reasoning is pretty straightforward - with the Model S, you pull and keep pulling, then get in. With the X, you push, it opens somewhat, then you have to pull. It's two movements instead of one. While I generally try to defend some of Tesla's decisions, I have to hand it to her - this isn't an improvement on the way we get into a car.

[QUOTE="walla2, post: 1497626, member: 10024”]...
3. Charge port does not respond to supercharger or mobile charger
...[/QUOTE]

Not a problem but a “feature”, apparently that’s the way it (doesn’t) work now. Light touch on the forward corner of the charge port cover opens it. Closing is automatic.

Driver’s auto-present seems to try to figure out if you are approaching from behind or in front by using the falcon wing door sensor and maybe other ultrasound sensors. Approach from the front and the door opens a little at first then more once you are aft of the door (not fast enough for me, I usually pull it open first).

• Informative
Reactions: Ampster and Drivin
Do others have these rough patches at the exposed section of the center roof pillar when you open the falcon wing doors? Mine are quite rough and collect strands of fabric.

image.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: ssq
Yes. On my list of (mostly minor) issues to take care of. I've also got the rear seat problem where it's hard to raise them up when they are down. And the left FWD alignment is bad enough that I want it fixed, but (knock on wood) it functions fine.

Took factory delivery on Monday. 28xx. Non-PUP, 90D, white seats. Love the car so far.