Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post Initial Problems with the Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Day 15 purgatory update; No parts shipped in last 2 days due to factory inventory process, parts shipping supposed to resume tomorrow. Some recurring issues (ie 2nd row seats not confirming locked, doors misbehaving) are related to code not hardware. There is also a group of vehicles with a service light on the dash that won't resolve. Firmware update coming in 7-10 days. This lends some comfort that not all issues are manufacturing related.

Sure. As many know, I've qualified for a discounted Founders, fully loaded, through the referral program. I was also made an offer that would have been impossible to refuse in any case (meaning, even if I wasn't getting a Founders) from someone who wanted an early Sig X and could afford to twist my arm hard. Between the premium I'll be receiving and the discount, I've made out like a bandit (stevezzz has graciously pointed out 'you SUCK' over learning the details - old friends who keep you grounded are priceless.) Hard not to grin like a fool when I think about it. :)

Well, it is fun to finally hear the whole story. I was initially tempted to see if your Sig was available, but somehow I sensed it was already made of unobtanium. It would have been ridiculous to try to get it exported to Canada anyway.

I am very happy that you made out like a bandit. You abso-@#$%ing-lutely deserve it!

Cin-cin from your Northern fan club.

...I also noticed that unlike early deliveries, the carpet between the 2 seats in my 6 seat configuration was a single complete piece vs the dual piece (to accommodate a middle seat) that I saw in earlier post...continuous improvement...
That is fantastic news. I will add that request to my list, knowing that the carpet was switched out at the factory for your Model X.

One of the reasons for listing everything is to perhaps get the parts sooner than later. As Model X becomes what it was suppose to be, each completion will be like a shiny ornament on the Christmas tree. The buyer funded detailer paint correction and clear bra should bring out the depth of paint quality like a shining star.

All I need is a good flashlight to duplicate the perfection of lighting in Model S. Has Tesla Motors started shipping Model X with clear interior lighting covers instead of opaque? Will it ever happen?

@MarkZ "All I need is a good flashlight to duplicate the perfection of lighting in Model S. Has Tesla Motors started shipping Model X with clear interior lighting covers instead of opaque? Will it ever happen?"

Still Opaque...but I love the way you just touch the light to turn them on or off...Seems bright enough for me...probably personal preference...I'm wondering if they could use different LEDs (?) if people perfer higher brightness (or is there a software control?)

...Has Tesla Motors started shipping Model X with clear interior lighting covers instead of opaque? Will it ever happen?"

Still Opaque...but I love the way you just touch the light to turn them on or off...Seems bright enough for me...probably personal preference...I'm wondering if they could use different LEDs (?) if people perfer higher brightness (or is there a software control?)
Thanks for the reply! The lights are fine for entry/exit. It's when you need to read at the driver's or passenger seat that you realize that there are no spotlights like in Model S. I expected either the rear view mirror or area behind the windshield (above your head) would have a couple of the same spots that Model S has.

That is fantastic news. I will add that request to my list, knowing that the carpet was switched out at the factory for your Model X.

Whew. That looked "jenky". As a 6 seat config, happy to hear. MarkZ, thanks for helping those of us behind you with things to look for. I'm gonna look over mine with a FINE toothed comb. Then make a list and go on a road trip! No way I'm gonna wait and longer than absolutely necessary

One thing this thread could help build is a delivery checklist, sort of like Nick Howe's old MS one from the Tesla Motors forum. I don't know the exact value in doing that at this point. However, when I took delivery of my MS, they verbally referenced it and said they had made it part of their internal checklist. Mostly, that was because they knew that a decent chunk of customers were showing up with those expectations.

One thing this thread could help build is a delivery checklist, sort of like Nick Howe's old MS one from the Tesla Motors forum. I don't know the exact value in doing that at this point. However, when I took delivery of my MS, they verbally referenced it and said they had made it part of their internal checklist. Mostly, that was because they knew that a decent chunk of customers were showing up with those expectations.

Yes this! And agreed that it's probably too early to do this now. But looking forward to having a checklist for when my X arrives. Thank you to all who contribute their experiences.

I've had my Model X since 12/31/2015 and have not had any of the issues listed in the initial post. I have had a few minor interior issues, and the service tech will be at the house to address them this coming week. I am very satisfied with this vehicle - especially anything having to do with drive it... already had it in ice and snow... the ice I didn't notice until someone at worked pointed out the problems they had with it on the morning commute.

In case some were not aware of it/location: Tesla Model S Buyers', Delivery and Owners' Guide

It is a benefit for the factory. They can keep their production numbers up and not slow down.

I don't consider it a benefit to the customer who expects a near perfect vehicle as it arrives for delivery. My Model X was manufactured in November, so it sat there a month and could have been worked on for the few items they may have noticed.

On the other hand, it is a major benefit to know that the Service Center will be able to work on the IMHO, 13 major and 13 minor needs plus documenting the 6 issues that were/are solved through 3rd party work to get a better result than Tesla can offer at this time.

Having worked in manufacturing my whole career, I don't think it is good idea to let them go to the SC with issues. One of the key points of a good manufacturing process is to have quick feedback and ways to detect ALL quality issues. Letting them go to the field just slows this process so you build more with the same issues. Also, the car is not there to fully investigate what went wrong in the factory and trust me there will be information lost in translation when you get defect feedback from the field. In the end you may think you are saving time by shipping more but you end up spending 10x the effort to fix in the field and/or reworking all the additional that have been built.

That said, I believe the factory was doing this to the best of their ability. One reason only 200 or so were delivered for 2015. They are putting quality before quantity. The launch of any product as complex as a car always has some unforeseen issues.

Last edited:
One of the key points of a good manufacturing process is to have quick feedback and ways to detect ALL quality issues. Letting them go to the field just slows this process so you build more with the same issues.

I think this is a very good point. What it does is take the feedback loop from a small single loop and turn it into a bag of rubber bands. I imagine this is not Tesla's long term approach to QC, just a way to get some MXs delivered to happy owners sooner (2015).

My thought on the defects going to the Service Center has changed at bit. It does help the SC with training. It does allow the customer to choose how important each defect is to get fixed. (If I need the car today, I can put up with a seat error until tomorrow.)

The other benefit is that the factory no longer is dealing with old problems. If the assembly line has solved 80% of past issues, then they move forward with production and get to ignore the past errors and concentrate on better product.

I am just trying to put a brighter spin on a punch list that now has 34 items for when the Model X goes into service soon. The one benefit of my posting the list after the service TBD is to highlight the remaining items TBD and how many would be unnecessary with new production. I don't want to waste new buyers time with old issues that have been solved at the factory.

OTOH, there is one serious flaw with using the Service Centers to repair known defects of finished product. The customer who is the final inspector is also the one who creates the list for repair. That could make it easier for the customer when Consumer Reports sends out their requests for repair history. Perhaps CU will have to ignore the initial repair data and ask users to list those items that fail after the initial delivery service repairs. If these repairs were being done at Fremont, the customer wouldn't have repairs to report to CU.

UPDATE: I have one question for those recently taking delivery. Does your Model X frunk lid backside look like this, or has Tesla installed a decorative cover to hide the holes shown in this photo? You can see the "body in white" paint inside the lower vertical holes when viewing the backside in person.

IMG_1229.jpg

Last edited:
So, I took the car back from the service center today. The report is fairly detailed: firmware is updated, so hopefully seat warning etc will be gone. However, I was disappointed that they concluded that the gaps and unevenness of the frunk and trunk cover to the body are within manufacturing specs. But they catch my eyes whenever I look at them. Moreover, I have rain water inside the covers of the tail light, they won't fix that. I have a number of German and Swedish cars on my driveway for many years. This is the only car I am having such a problem. I don't know if I am too picky, but somehow the Tesla carpets (from and back) all look loose to me. Maybe it is just my car, perhaps got out too soon from the factory.

So, I took the car back from the service center today. The report is fairly detailed: firmware is updated, so hopefully seat warning etc will be gone. However, I was disappointed that they concluded that the gaps and unevenness of the frunk and trunk cover to the body are within manufacturing specs. But they catch my eyes whenever I look at them. Moreover, I have rain water inside the covers of the tail light, they won't fix that. I have a number of German and Swedish cars on my driveway for many years. This is the only car I am having such a problem. I don't know if I am too picky, but somehow the Tesla carpets (from and back) all look loose to me. Maybe it is just my car, perhaps got out too soon from the factory.
Rain water (or condensation) inside the tail lights was something we noticed on the lot in Paramus on *a lot* of cars... most of them actually. They were all Model Ses. Not encouraging to hear that it's happening on the X. It was something the my wife was really bothered by. Oh boy...

My thought on the defects going to the Service Center has changed at bit. It does help the SC with training. It does allow the customer to choose how important each defect is to get fixed. (If I need the car today, I can put up with a seat error until tomorrow.)

The other benefit is that the factory no longer is dealing with old problems. If the assembly line has solved 80% of past issues, then they move forward with production and get to ignore the past errors and concentrate on better product.

I am just trying to put a brighter spin on a punch list that now has 34 items for when the Model X goes into service soon. The one benefit of my posting the list after the service TBD is to highlight the remaining items TBD and how many would be unnecessary with new production. I don't want to waste new buyers time with old issues that have been solved at the factory.

OTOH, there is one serious flaw with using the Service Centers to repair known defects of finished product. The customer who is the final inspector is also the one who creates the list for repair. That could make it easier for the customer when Consumer Reports sends out their requests for repair history. Perhaps CU will have to ignore the initial repair data and ask users to list those items that fail after the initial delivery service repairs. If these repairs were being done at Fremont, the customer wouldn't have repairs to report to CU.

UPDATE: I have one question for those recently taking delivery. Does your Model X frunk lid backside look like this, or has Tesla installed a decorative cover to hide the holes shown in this photo? You can see the "body in white" paint inside the lower vertical holes when viewing the backside in person.

View attachment 107387

Mark...I have the same sig red and the same look of the inside of the Frunk hood (even being able to see the white undercoat thru the rectangular holes....) I was told this pattern saves weight providing more range...paint not really any issue for me...

Last edited:
I did get an unfortunate call tonight from the detailer. They are finding more areas of clear coat contamination that causes small visible bumps with the clear bra. The only solution is for wet sanding to be done on areas where clear bra wrap will be installed with the defective clear coat. It's like an overspray took place that deposited the extra specks of clear coat on a portion of the vehicle. I am skipping the Falcon Wing Doors, so there will be plenty of "bumps" remaining for the SC to feel.

According to the detailer, the way to check for this is interesting. You stick your hand into a ziplock bag and wet the cleaned painted surface with water. Then feel the plastic bag against the paint and the bumps are noticeable as they would be with clear bra material. I will have to check on this when I pay a visit while the car is delayed for a couple more days. When I was visiting last week, I saw how bad the clear bra looked with the specks, so I understand what needs to be done.

According to the detailer this is NOT normal with the Model S vehicles he protects and hopefully this was only in the first batch of Model X. With one teenage VIN acting up, all you adult Model X out there, don't get worried. My vehicle was manufactured on 11/15, so maybe that will help some who have a similar production date.

On the bright side, the hood is completed. The sanding does help decrease the normal "orange peel" appearance, so I am excited to see how well this turns out.

Well, it is fun to finally hear the whole story. I was initially tempted to see if your Sig was available, but somehow I sensed it was already made of unobtanium. It would have been ridiculous to try to get it exported to Canada anyway.

I am very happy that you made out like a bandit. You abso-@#$%ing-lutely deserve it!

Cin-cin from your Northern fan club.

Thanks, vger. I would have liked to have seen it in your garage. It's on the way to the new owner tomorrow - hope he loves it as much as I have in the short time I've had it.

(fyi - Saw the Morehouse sign this last week - thought of you and your Roadster every time I drove past!)