Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post Your Tesla Solar Layout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had previously asked for a redesign and they turned it in a couple of days. That redesign did not work out and so, I returned to my previous original layout. Hope this does not cause a delay to the install date.

In my experience, the installers are experienced enough to make layout changes on the fly. There was a bit of an unexpected ridge near my chimney that led them to move a panel on install day.

• Informative
Reactions: Dave EV
In my experience, the installers are experienced enough to make layout changes on the fly. There was a bit of an unexpected ridge near my chimney that led them to move a panel on install day.

I think there’s a distinction between requested layout changes and necessary layout changes though. I also had a panel moved on install day, because it didn’t fit where it was shown on the layout. This caused a lot of delays for me because in my jurisdiction the panel layout is part of the permit. So before my system could be inspected they needed to file changes to the permit with the city to reflect the new location.

Obviously the change was necessary because it was not possible to put the panel where it was shown on the layout, however, I think that if it was a change that I requested that wasn’t necessary then I suspect the installers would have been much more hesitant to do it because of all the extra work and delays involved in updating the permit.

Things might be different in different areas or maybe even depend on the mood of your install team, but I certainly wouldn’t go into the install assuming that you’ll be able to modify the panel location on install day.

Hi all, I'm hoping to get some opinions on the placement of panels on my install. I need a total of 19 to 20 panels and I'm not having Powerwall installed.

Here's what Tesla proposes:
Solar Layout Tesls proposed.JPG

And here's what I'd like to see:
Solar Layout Tesla 4 - mine.png
I prefer to have as many west facing panels as possible, because I'm on SCE Time of Use plan which charges $0.42/W from 4-9pm, compared to $0.14/W all other time. I want to maximize production as the sun goes down, so I don't want the majority of my panels facing east.

What do you all think? Is it unreasonable to ask Tesla to place the panels in 4 roof planes? I've emailed my advisors multiple times, and he does not respond to this question, and he kept sending a canned response via text "documents are ready for your to sign on Tesla website" with the same design layout of what Tesla proposes. I asked for a job walkthrough before the install, and my advisor essentially declined to do that.

I've previously had another company actually come out and walk the roof, and they proposed this below (back when I wanted only 12 panels). Notice they could put 8 on the west facing roof planes. Their panel size is 1558x1046mm, where as the Tesla Q cell panels are 1740x1030mm. Even though the Tesla panels are longer length wise, my feeling is that they should still be able to fit 7 panels facing west (4+3).
Solar Layout Green Convergence.png

I'd appreciate any input. Thank.

Hi all, I'm hoping to get some opinions on the placement of panels on my install. I need a total of 19 to 20 panels and I'm not having Powerwall installed.

Here's what Tesla proposes:
View attachment 590804

And here's what I'd like to see:
View attachment 590805
I prefer to have as many west facing panels as possible, because I'm on SCE Time of Use plan which charges $0.42/W from 4-9pm, compared to $0.14/W all other time. I want to maximize production as the sun goes down, so I don't want the majority of my panels facing east.

What do you all think? Is it unreasonable to ask Tesla to place the panels in 4 roof planes? I've emailed my advisors multiple times, and he does not respond to this question, and he kept sending a canned response via text "documents are ready for your to sign on Tesla website" with the same design layout of what Tesla proposes. I asked for a job walkthrough before the install, and my advisor essentially declined to do that.

I've previously had another company actually come out and walk the roof, and they proposed this below (back when I wanted only 12 panels). Notice they could put 8 on the west facing roof planes. Their panel size is 1558x1046mm, where as the Tesla Q cell panels are 1740x1030mm. Even though the Tesla panels are longer length wise, my feeling is that they should still be able to fit 7 panels facing west (4+3).
View attachment 590807

I'd appreciate any input. Thank.

BTW, I ended up going with the 5 PM - 8 PM SCE plan instead of the 4 PM - 9 PM plan. Yes, it is a bit more during those three hours, but I figured it is easier to control usage during 3 hours instead of 5 hours. For example, pre-cooling the house from 4 PM - 5 PM so AC likely isn't needed after 5 PM.

#1 Maximize South array
#2 Move as many as possible from East to West.

Prefering West over South while maintaining East does not make sense. South makes the most total kWh and West makes more valuable ($/kWh) energy than East. This all assumes no difference in shading.

Yes I agree. My request to move some panel from East to West was met with a response of: we can't fit more in the west, which I don't believe because I've had prior installers who actually went on the roof and said they could fit more than what Tesla could. Even accounting for Tesla's larger panels than the other installer, Tesla is still fitting way fewer panels on my western roof.

BTW, I ended up going with the 5 PM - 8 PM SCE plan instead of the 4 PM - 9 PM plan. Yes, it is a bit more during those three hours, but I figured it is easier to control usage during 3 hours instead of 5 hours. For example, pre-cooling the house from 4 PM - 5 PM so AC likely isn't needed after 5 PM.

That's interesting. I may give that a try after owning the solar for a year.

Yep as it turns out the inspector would need to turn off the power to check the safety guards. So that would kill my internet connection for my remote garage control. So inspection delayed until Tuesday, my day off. I appreciate Tesla trying to work with me.
So inspection was failed. The big no no is they used the same breakers from the old panel on the new panel and since it is a new panel they need to bring the breakers up to 2017 code. There were other things not labelled correctly. Inspector even offered to meet the Tesla electrician the day of the corrections to pass inspection. So now it is hurry up and wait.

Last night Tesla Energy sent out a tech to get thing labelled and to take a look at the breaker panel. This morning they were fixing the remaining issues and right now they are waiting for the inspector. I really love the effort they are showing trying to get this passed this week.

Here is the new label:
20200925_065505.jpg

EDIT: I was just notified we passed inspection. Now just waiting for my power company. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: willow_hiller
Last night Tesla Energy sent out a tech to get thing labelled and to take a look at the breaker panel. This morning they were fixing the remaining issues and right now they are waiting for the inspector. I really love the effort they are showing trying to get this passed this week.

Here is the new label:
View attachment 592206

Quarter-end push to recognize revenue, just like the vehicle side.

Here is the new label:
View attachment 592206

EDIT: I was just notified we passed inspection. Now just waiting for my power company. :D

Do you think you have enough AC Disconnects there?

• Funny
I posted the initial layout on page 25 and asked for an updated layout. Tesla said it would take 2-3 weeks. In the meantime, a home assessment was scheduled and I explained the changes I would like to the assessor. Within 3 hours after the assessment I received an updated layout. This layout will produce about 12% more energy per year

View attachment 592276
View attachment 592275

Well done. 12% is significant. It’s reasons like this that I only recommend Tesla to the techie/engineering minded type folks.

I am in the process of getting 12kW system installed with 2 powerwalls... Can someone please advise on the following 2 items:
  • after the design was approved and all paperwork completed, now Tesla advised me that it will take another 6 weeks before Utility (ComEd) to approves the install... only after they approve, then Tesla can schedule the installation... currently they are about 30 from scheduling to actual install date... this puts me in the winter territory in Chicago plus with all the turmoil in the country. Does anyone have any experience with expediting these timelines?
  • The following was my assumption but I recently started questioning myself: based on my solar system estimated output, I will be at 60% of typical power requirements with the balance of electricity provided by Utility. If my PWs are fully charged and the utility power goes out, my home will be draining PWs. Here is the question: will the power produces by my solar panels will be purely dedicated to charging my PWs (I do not anticipate any excess power produced). Just wanted to make sure I can be somewhat off the grid.
Thank you