Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pothole + 21" low profile Model S rims/tires = big trouble (PHOTOS)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sooo..... no offense meant here, but are we still surprised by this by now? I mean, it's been over three years and this forum is chock full of evidence that the 21" rims/tires are very fragile in comparison to the 19s. If you live in area that has pot-holes/construction, you are just asking for a repair bill to take care of one or more damaged rims. I understand there is an aesthetic appeal to the 21s, but geez, why are we still getting them as an option? Especially on dual-motor cars.

Two tires from one pothole seems a bit surprising to me especially when the pothole doesn't look very deep. I just had the same thing happen to me.

- - - Updated - - -

damages (which were about $3400).

How did it end up that much? Did you replace both wheels?

I just paid $1000 for two new tires plus alignment...

Wait.. What does a dual motor car have to do with it? The potholes are AWD agnostic and will damage 21" wheels and tires all the same.

I've heard that for RWD, the 21s feel more planted and less squirrelly than the 19s. But AWD should make that a non issue.

- - - Updated - - -

Not trying to be too nit-picky, but if your wheels are Tesla wheels, the 19" wheels would be cyclones, not turbines. The 21" wheels are turbines.

Update, too knit-picky.

- - - Updated - - -

You guys are also forgetting the Tesla wheels are cast. Cast wheels are cheap and weak. A good forged wheel will take a lot more abuse. Tire damage though will be par for the course.

What are the tsportlines?

A good wheel will be advertised as forged. If it doesn't say forged, assume it is cast. One more thing I forgot to mention about forged vs cast is the weight. Forged wheels are significantly lighter, making the suspension able to react more quickly to potholes and deviations. This imparts less stress on the tire and wheel as there is less mass and inertia having to very quickly change it's position. So not only is forged lighter but it's stronger, so you gain on both areas.

I've heard that for RWD, the 21s feel more planted and less squirrelly than the 19s. But AWD should make that a non issue.

But what does that have to do with the susceptibility to potholes? Nothing.

This was your original comment:

I mean, it's been over three years and this forum is chock full of evidence that the 21" rims/tires are very fragile in comparison to the 19s. If you live in area that has pot-holes/construction, you are just asking for a repair bill to take care of one or more damaged rims. I understand there is an aesthetic appeal to the 21s, but geez, why are we still getting them as an option? Especially on dual-motor cars.

But what does that have to do with the susceptibility to potholes? Nothing.

This was your original comment:

Sorry about the confusion. I was trying to poorly say that if you are getting the 21's on AWD drive cars thinking you need them so the car feels more planted during acceleration, then you might not want to bother since the AWD by it's nature keeps the car pretty stable on the 19s just fine.

Update, too knit-picky.

I wasn't talking about sweaters, or any knit products for that matter, so I really don't know what you mean.

If you mean that my explaining the difference between cyclone and turbine wheels was too nit-picky, I guess we just disagree. I think it's good for people who are spending thousands of dollars on their wheels to know what they are called. I didn't in any way mock the person who referred to his wheels by the wrong name, as it's a fairly common mistake. It's also one I'll continue to correct when I notice it, whether it bothers you or not.

Two tires from one pothole seems a bit surprising to me especially when the pothole doesn't look very deep. I just had the same thing happen to me.
1. When you see a pothole, try to hit it as squarely as you can, don't try to hit it at an angle.
2. Try to hit the pothole with the suspension relaxed (foot off the brakes before hitting).
3. Inflation pressure is the first line of defense against potholes. Use the vehicle placard pressure as a minimum pressure that you never want to go below.

My buddy with a P85+ with 21's destroyed his two driver's side tires in a pothole on a 2 lane road he didn't see in the rain coming back from Palm Springs to San Diego. He'd never had a car with low profile tires and was shocked at how expensive replacement tires were. I've always bought road hazard protection from America's Tire for my off road and low profile tires and its paid off each time... Especially with the expensive ($350 to $500 each) tires on my Z06 Corvette and 35" off road tires on our off road Jeep Wrangler.

25k mikes on my 21's not a problem. You guys need to drive a little more carefully and open your eyes [emoji41]

This has to be some kind of bad luck for making this precious comment but I just blew out the front and rear drivers side tires on a pothole in Vienna, VA (Tysons).

I just installed my new 19inch tirerack cyclone copies with Michelin XiCE. Front rim is bent, tire looks ok, rear rim looks ok but that tire has a hole in the sidewall.

Bad JuJu or what!!!

Currently sat here waiting for roadside assistance.

Pothole + 21" low profile Model S rims/tires = big trouble (PHOTOS)

This has to be some kind of bad luck for making this precious comment but I just blew out the front and rear drivers side tires on a pothole in Vienna, VA (Tysons).

I just installed my new 19inch tirerack cyclone copies with Michelin XiCE. Front rim is bent, tire looks ok, rear rim looks ok but that tire has a hole in the sidewall.

Bad JuJu or what!!!

Currently sat here waiting for roadside assistance.

I'm in Vienna.. Need a lift? I can show you my 19" tsportline wheels :)

You call that a pot hole? My wife also hit a pot hole on the I90 in NY coming to see me at the lake house. Got a call that she had a flat tire, but really spit the rim in half like a bagel, lmao. The rear rim was also dented and the company in charge of that section of the I90 paid for damages after a nicely written letter from my wife. Worth mentioning that section is nicely paved today, also this was in my previous Benz E550. Now on my MS I stuck with 20". Nothing like a little sidewall.

IMG_0955.JPG

1. When you see a pothole, try to hit it as squarely as you can, don't try to hit it at an angle.
2. Try to hit the pothole with the suspension relaxed (foot off the brakes before hitting).
3. Inflation pressure is the first line of defense against potholes. Use the vehicle placard pressure as a minimum pressure that you never want to go below.

Really, only one rule is necessary. When you see a pothole, Avoid it ... drive safely my friends :cool:

I suffered the same damage as the OP recently. It happened during night driving in a county road...no speeding involved. One I can say is that Tesla Roadside service was quick to respond and was very helpful getting my MS to the SC and an Uber to my final destination.