Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powder Coat Rims

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone done a grey powder coat to the stock rims? Seems like a cheap alternative to the 21" grey ones. About $300 for a similar look.
here you go. I get a lot of compliments
FullSizeRender-3.jpg

image.png
I painted my 19" cyclones same as 21". I bought the caps from tesla. I think they were $5-10ea! Surprisingly inexpensive.
I love how they came out. If you're in the LA area and need a referral. PM me.
I opted for paint rather than powder coat because I was afriad of the possibility that the heat would anneal the aluminum.

Reactions: A-E and pvazquez03
How was the center hub done and how much did it cost?
For the center hub, I just bought grey caps from Tesla for $5 each. They're a tad lighter than the wheels but close enough for the time being. Tesla does make a black cap for the model X 22's but the wheels are on back order so the center caps aren't avail for purchase. The shop charged me $145 per wheel which included removing and re-balancing the tires, removing and replacing the TPM sensors, etc. This is the high side of average for LA but Kevin who runs the shop happened to have a set of Tesla rims on hand which he loaned me while the work was being done which allowed me to keep the car which was awesome. Work took about 5 days.

• Informative
Reactions: pvazquez03
For the center hub, I just bought grey caps from Tesla for $5 each. They're a tad lighter than the wheels but close enough for the time being. Tesla does make a black cap for the model X 22's but the wheels are on back order so the center caps aren't avail for purchase. The shop charged me $145 per wheel which included removing and re-balancing the tires, removing and replacing the TPM sensors, etc. This is the high side of average for LA but Kevin who runs the shop happened to have a set of Tesla rims on hand which he loaned me while the work was being done which allowed me to keep the car which was awesome. Work took about 5 days.
Nice look on the rims. I'm also in the LA and looking to do the same. Can you pass along the contact info for Kevin? Thanks!

Do you know what paint colour (or paint code) you used? Looks almost like a "dark chrome" type colour.
I asked them do a satin black to match production rims they had on display and they nailed it. I searched a lot for samples of rims that I liked online but then when I got there I didn't even need to show them any of the pictures I had collected because they had some actual rims on hand that had the ideal finish. Definitely recommend this shop. They are small but they do nothing but high end work and they could not be more pleasant to deal with.

Has anyone done a grey powder coat to the stock rims? Seems like a cheap alternative to the 21" grey ones. About $300 for a similar look.

Or $400 as the case may be.

I highly recommend Verne's Chrome Plating in Gardena if you're within driving distance of Los Angeles (and who on the continent isn't, really).

Check with a convenient SvC to see if they have a loaner set of wheels handy. They may charge $125 for the re-mount and balance.

I'd do it again although next time it's tempting to chrome the rims. Have seen that twice for Model S and it's a surprisingly nice look.

Incidentally as an FYI, the stock rims have 3 layers already - primer, silver, and clear.