Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powder Coat Rims

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here are my rims powder coated "wet gloss black".

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    393.1 KB · Views: 473
These are painted the factory metallic gray and then powder coated with clear for durability.

I paid $940 shipped for all 4 wheels 21x8.5 factory wheels with matched paint. Note, that's not $940 for painting them. That's $940 for the wheels + the paint.

I bought the center caps from Tesla for $5 each and they are a perfect match to the paint.

20160304_132147.jpg

20160304_131954.jpg

20160306_131452.jpg
Nice! Great deal - Are those reconditioned factory wheels or a great knock-off? They look 100 percent Tesla

Last edited:

Attachments

• upload_2016-7-15_11-28-15.png
    upload_2016-7-15_11-28-15.png
    415 KB · Views: 332
Reactions: AxelF
All of these look very good! I'm looking to have mine powder coated as well. For those of you saying you purchased the center cap from Tesla, were they purchased online? and if so is there a link for those? I was just browsing the online shop and couldn't see any center caps in the wheels section.

All of these look very good! I'm looking to have mine powder coated as well. For those of you saying you purchased the center cap from Tesla, were they purchased online? and if so is there a link for those? I was just browsing the online shop and couldn't see any center caps in the wheels section.

In person at the service center. I also bought 4 TPMS sensors for $50 each.

They certainly look pretty close and not a bad price for $239. It says they were $339 before:
View attachment 185509

Unfortunately, they don't come in 8.5s so you can't get either stock sized setup(staggered or all 8.5s).

This looks like a great price for a new wheel ... less than the cost of powder coating in my area @$250 each. :cool:
The 9" width is perfect for filling the wheel well and I run the same front and rear sizes with no problems on my car.

Ok, stupid question time, but how long does powder coating usually take? An installer here needed the car for a few days. So basically I can't drive it unless I have another set of wheels (not to mention the fact that the car has to be kept at the installer's shop)?

Ok, stupid question time, but how long does powder coating usually take? An installer here needed the car for a few days. So basically I can't drive it unless I have another set of wheels (not to mention the fact that the car has to be kept at the installer's shop)?

I wouldn't let anyone but tesla keep your car overnight. If it were me and I only had one set of wheels, I'd jack the car up on all four lift points and bring the wheels to the installer. Make sure to take detailed photos of the lip edges so that if the installer scrapes paint off during mounting or dismounting, you'll have proof. Also, have them note in writing that there is not damage to the wheels when they take possession.

Even when I leave the car at a Tesla Service Center, I still take at least 100+ detailed photos and several walk around videos. It's already save me the cost of a bumper scratch and top rail scratch caused by something or someone at the service center.

The shop I used took about three days to complete the work. I was lucky because they had a set of loaner wheels that allowed me to keep the car. Another shop I checked offered a premium service where the guys would come to my house to remove and reinstall the wheels leaving my vehicle at home while they get the work. They were going to charge an extra $300 for that service which seems pretty steep