Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power Conversion System (PCS) failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They have three identical charging boards in them (2 for an SR) and are usually replaced because one of them has failed. If that's the case with yours, the good ones left could be used to repair another unit of the same model that had a bad board (or two) in it.
Thank you. Yes, only one of my boards failed (my car was still charging at 32 amps, not the usual 48), so it makes sense that someone could use the two working boards. Thanks again!

See my post #112 above there was a Technical Service Bulletin for the June 2018 build date Model 3's regarding the PCS boards. I tried to find my rat holed copy of the PDF TSB document but could not find it, maybe someone on the forum has a copy? My PCS was replaced under the 4yr/50K warranty but I assumed it would have been replaced after that at no cost, due to the June 2018 TSB.
Before I authorized the repair, I sent the SC a copy of that Service Bulletin and mentioned that my car's built date was June 2018. They quickly came back and said that my car was not covered under that Service Bulletin. I plan to take the matter to arbitration so I'm closely following others' experience with that process.

I can report that, two days ago, the second 16A module in my PCS failed. I can now only charge at 16A. I'm going on a roadtrip next week to a location with a destination charger, and if the third module fails… I'll be SOL. :oops:

08_sm.jpg

I can report that, two days ago, the second 16A module in my PCS failed. I can now only charge at 16A. I'm going on a roadtrip next week to a location with a destination charger, and if the third module fails… I'll be SOL. :oops:

View attachment 866740
I'd say you likely have a manufacturing defect in all 3 that is increasing the likelihood of failure. And the more that fail, the longer each remaining one needs to operate, which further increases the likelihood of failure. I'd get all of them replaced before the trip.

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
Picked up my car on 10/15 Model Y/LR

Drove home, then charged it with the wall connector (48A)

Car showed 32/48A

Mobile tech came to install HomeLink, charged his service car with the wall connector. His car showed 48A.

-----

So, in my case one of the PCS controllers is pretty much broken day one :( Now i'm so concerned about the longevity of this thing, especially when it's out of warranty.

View attachment 866740

Wait, I'm confused... how are you able to charge at 48A? The most I'm seeing at 244v is 32A's.

32a Charging.jpg

With a 50A breaker:

Tesla Breaker.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Hkbruin
Wait, I'm confused... how are you able to charge at 48A? The most I'm seeing at 244v is 32A's.

View attachment 868132

With a 50A breaker:

View attachment 868137
Wall connectors (and destination chargers) can charge a Model 3 at up to 48 amps.
Mobile connectors since mid-December 2017 can charge a Model 3 at up to 32 amps.
Mobile connectors from before mid-December 2017 can charge a Model 3 at up to 40 amps.

• Helpful
Reactions: outdoors
You can also welcome one new member to the PCS club:(
I have a 2022 MYP and 2021 M3 LR.
I have noticed the scary PCS_a019 error on my M3 LR...
I use Tesla wall connector which is configured to max of 32A.
But the strange fact is that both cars show a max of 16A and they both charge at 16/16A.

MYP shows no error and the charging power reaches 11kw as expected and current is 16/16A.
M3 LR gives me PCS_a019 after about a minute of charging and stays at 7kw and 16/16A, error on the screen.

Tesla did a remote diagnostics and called me back to let me know the PCS failed and needs to be replaced under warranty (car is 1 year old and only has 5000 miles).

My question is:
- Why do both cars only show a max of 16A even though wall connector is set at 32A?
(I highly doubt that both cars have faulty PCSs from day 1...)
- since PCS module has 3x16A blocks and is determined to be faulty on my M3 LR, how do I know how many blocks failed if I anyhow only have a max of only 16A on both cars (MYP and M3 LR) from day one...

I am a bit confused as you guys talk about Amps dropping from 48/48 to 32/48 to 16/48 and 0/48 if all 3 16A blocks fail.

But I only have 16/16 to begin with...on MYP and M3 LR.
Is there a market to market variability regarding the AC max amps a car can receive?
9B7446AD-CC92-4590-8D7E-FA9833B1131B.jpeg
00C3B5E8-9618-470C-92E1-356FCCD02ED2.jpeg

@Thelycandraven your car is showing 3 phase charging. The PCS has three 16A charging blocks inside. When one block goes bad, you lose the ability to charge from that phase, dropping from 3 phase to two phase or even a single phase. North American cars are single phase, so the 3 charging blocks are in parallel, adding current in chunks of 16A. When we lose charging blocks, the max amperage drops from 48A to 32A to 16A.

My LR rear wheel M3 was born in June 2018. I never received a specific recall for my PCS regardless of the TSB that was posted (TSB- PCS failure 06/2018 M3). They claimed my VIN is not included in this replacement and Tesla is extremely thorough in having those affected by recalls to have immediate replacement service. Unfortunately out of warranty by a few months and only noticed when my car was showing the 'poor grid power quality' error message when car was at 16/48A charging. Very well could have been failing while in warranty, but I have no way to prove one way or other. Tesla is not budging on covering this defective PCS regardless of the TSB posted and offered a 200 discount (Woo! /s)- while cheaper at ~$1300, still expensive. Not sure where to go from here besides paying for the replacement (1 month away) and filing an arbitration to hopefully have some of the money returned. Is there a way Tesla can diagnose when the first of the 16a charging block failed? Also, does anyone know if somehow my car was just 'missed' in the VIN recall for PCS mentioned in the TSB. Service agent mentioned I'm not affected because mine would have failed longgg ago and the repair is not the same due to likely failure in the mount of the PCS due the bolts and nuts in included in the TSB above and not just the PCS + coolant which is what my M3 requires for repair.

• Informative
Reactions: cali8484
My LR rear wheel M3 was born in June 2018. I never received a specific recall for my PCS regardless of the TSB that was posted (TSB- PCS failure 06/2018 M3). They claimed my VIN is not included in this replacement and Tesla is extremely thorough in having those affected by recalls to have immediate replacement service. Unfortunately out of warranty by a few months and only noticed when my car was showing the 'poor grid power quality' error message when car was at 16/48A charging. Very well could have been failing while in warranty, but I have no way to prove one way or other. Tesla is not budging on covering this defective PCS regardless of the TSB posted and offered a 200 discount (Woo! /s)- while cheaper at ~$1300, still expensive. Not sure where to go from here besides paying for the replacement (1 month away) and filing an arbitration to hopefully have some of the money returned. Is there a way Tesla can diagnose when the first of the 16a charging block failed? Also, does anyone know if somehow my car was just 'missed' in the VIN recall for PCS mentioned in the TSB. Service agent mentioned I'm not affected because mine would have failed longgg ago and the repair is not the same due to likely failure in the mount of the PCS due the bolts and nuts in included in the TSB above and not just the PCS + coolant which is what my M3 requires for repair.
This is very similar to my story, except that I was not offered a discount and paid over $1800 for my PCS replacement. I'm still waiting to see the results of the arbitrations pursued by others in this forum to see if it's worth the trouble.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thunder7ga
My LR rear wheel M3 was born in June 2018. I never received a specific recall for my PCS regardless of the TSB that was posted (TSB- PCS failure 06/2018 M3). They claimed my VIN is not included in this replacement and Tesla is extremely thorough in having those affected by recalls to have immediate replacement service.
TSBs are not recalls. They are internal documents that explain defects/repairs to technicians.