Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power Delay [acceleration delay when pushing accelerator]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have noticed a few times where I step on the accelerator and there is a lag in power. I don't know if I am catching the car while it is trying to idle after deceleration or if something else is going on. Have only noticed it after a stop. Not sure if it is normal or something that should be looked at. Anybody else experience anything like this?

I have noticed a few times where I step on the accelerator and there is a lag in power. I don't know if I am catching the car while it is trying to idle after deceleration or if something else is going on. Have only noticed it after a stop. Not sure if it is normal or something that should be looked at. Anybody else experience anything like this?
I have the same problem with my Model 3. When it happens, there are no obstacles. Were you able to confirm either way?

I have the same problem with my Model 3. When it happens, there are no obstacles. Were you able to confirm either way?
@BigMod3Fan "No obstacles" is not the point. Do you have Obstacle Aware Acceleration (OAA) enabled? If so turn it off and see this stops being an issue.

OAA and all the Tesla vision based stuff is far from 100% accurate. False object detection or collision path detection is a thing that happens with these systems.

The other situation I've encountered where the Model 3 will delay power is if you ask for a lot of power with the steering wheel turned (pressing the accelerator more than gently). The traction control system doesn't like that and will often refuse to give much power at all until the steering wheel is straight.

Last edited:
I was going to ask also if this happens on any sort of less-than-perfect pavement (bumpy, slippery, gravel on the ground, etc.). If so, it may also be that the car is detecting minor slippage and delaying the acceleration until it's confirmed that the tires have firm traction. My first Prius had an overly sensitive traction control that would do exactly that, and it was a huge PITA.

FWIW I never had OAA on ever, and I've noticed this "lag" numerous times. It always takes a split second for the car to be applying power from a dig. At speeds above 30-40 mph, its instant torque.
I'll have to try Slip Start next, but the number of threads were people say to turn "OAA off" don't seem to help because like I said, I've never had it on to begin with.

Reactions: EVolv3d
FWIW I never had OAA on ever, and I've noticed this "lag" numerous times. It always takes a split second for the car to be applying power from a dig. At speeds above 30-40 mph, its instant torque.
I'll have to try Slip Start next, but the number of threads were people say to turn "OAA off" don't seem to help because like I said, I've never had it on to begin with.
By contrast, I've driven 2 different Model 3s over 45K miles and 4 years, in every type of traffic, weather and road condition and have never once experienced any sort of lag or delay in acceleration...

By contrast, I've driven 2 different Model 3s over 45K miles and 4 years, in every type of traffic, weather and road condition and have never once experienced any sort of lag or delay in acceleration...
@metroplex @Zcd1 Remind me, what version of Model 3 do you each have/had?

I've seen a pattern on these forums of people saying the non-performance S3XY models feel "held back" right off the line, compared to the Performance and Plaid models. Like torque is especially limited at very low RPM, moreso than it is at medium-to-higher speeds, whereas the performance models feel more like they truly give their full torque from zero or near-zero RPM.

I've driven many Tesla models but I almost never do a true launch from a dead stop, just not something I do in my driving with cars this quick. On the rare occasions I have, it's always been in Performance models, whether my own or loaners. Absolutely no hesitation off the line in the Performance models. Even my old tuned STI with a 5k RPM clutch whomp would merely keep up with a RWD S P85 off the line. (Trust me that I know this. 😉) The AWD Performance Teslas destroy everything off the line that's not a $100k+ Porsche or exotic, or maybe big turbo STI/Evo with a very aggressive launch. Hesitation in Tesla performance models? None that I've noticed.

But...browse through these forums and you'll find some complaints. They don't usually call it "hesitation," it sounds like they give some torque immediately, but they say it feels limited, like torque increases as RPMs climb. As I understand it our electric motors should be capable of full torque from zero RPM, hence why this would feel like the motors are "held back." I imagine one person's "held back" might be another person's "hesitation."

Edit: And as mentioned earlier, the Model 3 traction control really doesn't like giving power with the wheel turned, unless in M3P's Track Mode. If I try to power out of a turn there is major hesitation (unless in Track Mode). Even the nannies in my RWD S P85 allow for more.

Last edited:

I've seen a pattern on these forums of people saying the non-performance S3XY models feel "held back" right off the line, compared to the Performance and Plaid models. Like torque is especially limited at very low RPM, moreso than it is at medium-to-higher speeds, whereas the performance models feel more like they truly give their full torque from zero or near-zero RPM.

I've driven many Tesla models but I almost never do a true launch from a dead stop, just not something I do in my driving with cars this quick. On the rare occasions I have, it's always been in Performance models, whether my own or loaners. Absolutely no hesitation off the line in the Performance models. Even my old tuned STI with a 5k RPM clutch whomp would merely keep up with a RWD S P85 off the line. (Trust me that I know this. 😉) The AWD Performance Teslas destroy everything off the line that's not a $100k+ Porsche or exotic, or maybe big turbo STI/Evo with a very aggressive launch. Hesitation in Tesla performance models? None that I've noticed.

But...browse through these forums and you'll find some complaints. They don't usually call it "hesitation," it sounds like they give some torque immediately, but they say it feels limited, like torque increases as RPMs climb. As I understand it our electric motors should be capable of full torque from zero RPM, hence why this would feel like the motors are "held back." I imagine one person's "held back" might be another person's "hesitation."

Edit: And as mentioned earlier, the Model 3 traction control really doesn't like giving power with the wheel turned, unless in M3P's Track Mode. If I try to power out of a turn there is major hesitation (unless in Track Mode). Even the nannies in my RWD S P85 allow for more.

I have a 2022 M3 Long Range (no Accel Boost) and you're right, it's more like a torque limiter off the line. Like something is holding it back until at speed. For today I drove my ICE vehicle and I noticed instantly it is far more responsive when launching than the Model 3 LR. Night/day difference. And I'm only talking about straight line launching from a stop (not with a steering wheel turned). There have been a few times when lined up against an ICE vehicle (not even a fast one) that it takes several seconds before the M3LR wakes up. If that ICE vehicle is brake boosting / powerbraking, it becomes more of a challenge... up until 40 mph or so.

• Informative
Reactions: EVolv3d and tm1v2
I have a 2022 M3 Long Range (no Accel Boost) and you're right, it's more like a torque limiter off the line. Like something is holding it back until at speed. For today I drove my ICE vehicle and I noticed instantly it is far more responsive when launching than the Model 3 LR. Night/day difference. And I'm only talking about straight line launching from a stop (not with a steering wheel turned). There have been a few times when lined up against an ICE vehicle (not even a fast one) that it takes several seconds before the M3LR wakes up. If that ICE vehicle is brake boosting / powerbraking, it becomes more of a challenge... up until 40 mph or so.
@metroplex I bet AB would improve that! Since you're the kind of driver to notice this, I'm going to be a bad influence and say you should purchase AB. 😜

As replied on another thread, I have the boost on my LR AWD 3 and I don't feel any "lag" if I floor it from standstill. I don't remember how it was before as it's been at least two years now with boost. I also feel that the car gives me a bit more acceleration with the wheels turned than it did in the first year I had it. I just cannot say if that's due to AB or if a software update gave that to everyone.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
Both of mine are "Performance" models.

Regardless, I made the same comment after my first test-drive of a Model 3P: It felt somewhat "limited" from 0-10 mph. Now I realize that this reaction was a combination of the truth PLUS the smoothness of the acceleration ramp-up. Compared to an ICEV in launch control mode, the Model 3 is nothing like as violent from a dead stop. But from 5-10 mph (or 20-30 mph in a LR) up to about 90 mph, they're blisteringly quick...

There's no doubt that the LR without AB is limited - otherwise what good would the AB be??

I notice this "lag" every so often. I have AB, and regularly punch it when I am first in line at the red light. I keep OAA on, and it is likely the cause of those occasional 'lags', but my preference is to keep the OAA setting on, and have a slight delay on launch maybe one time in a hundred. Those other 99 times, it doesn't feel limited at all (I regularly get under 2 seconds to 60 feet).

Both of mine are "Performance" models.

Regardless, I made the same comment after my first test-drive of a Model 3P: It felt somewhat "limited" from 0-10 mph. Now I realize that this reaction was a combination of the truth PLUS the smoothness of the acceleration ramp-up. Compared to an ICEV in launch control mode, the Model 3 is nothing like as violent from a dead stop. But from 5-10 mph (or 20-30 mph in a LR) up to about 90 mph, they're blisteringly quick...

There's no doubt that the LR without AB is limited - otherwise what good would the AB be??

Agreed. My Dragy results confirm it as well. My ~300whp STI launches harder and is faster than my M3P from ~0-30mph (until I have to shift to 2nd gear). There's a very progressive ramp-up from ~0-5mph. This is followed by a torque dip in the rear motor. Acceleration continues as expected after ~10mph.

Data log via SMT:
1669076009317.png

You can see the same progressive ramp-up and dip in the first quadrant of the Dragy results below. This can be seen on pretty much any M3's Dragy results. As a result, some speculate there's a programmed 1.0G acceleration limit. There's clearly some potential left on the table via throttle/torque request mapping (if a tuning solution existed).

1669076236886.png

Here's my ~300whp '19 STI for comparison:

1669076356062.png

Attachments

• 1669076202409.jpeg
    1669076202409.jpeg
    132.4 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Do you have 60’ data for your STI vs the M3P? I used to think my Fusion Sport had a torque limiter during launching until I drove the M3LR. Now my Fusion Sport feels more responsive. Still not as good as my tuned SHO. Brake boost launches feel like being shot out of a cannon. 1.8 60’ all day long in worn out street tires whether cold or hot.

Reactions: EVolv3d
Do you have 60’ data for your STI vs the M3P? I used to think my Fusion Sport had a torque limiter during launching until I drove the M3LR. Now my Fusion Sport feels more responsive. Still not as good as my tuned SHO. Brake boost launches feel like being shot out of a cannon. 1.8 60’ all day long in worn out street tires whether cold or hot.

That’s a good 60-ft for the SHO!

My 60’ is slightly slower in the M3P by a few hundredths. On average, the STI is ~1.78 whereas the M3P is ~1.82. The STI is mechanically stock with just a “stage 1” tune that I developed.

Reactions: metroplex