Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power Frunk | No more fingerprints on the hood!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When you say didn't open correctly sometimes, would you try to open the frunk and doesn't open as if it it doesn't unlatch?

Yeah it would go up a half of an inch, but it will get stuck and go back down.

Does this work on a 2016 model s 85d pre facelift?

most likely, if you have a single latch you should be fine. Mine is a 2015 p85d

Yeah it would go up a half of an inch, but it will get stuck and go back down.

most likely, if you have a single latch you should be fine. Mine is a 2015 p85d

My exact issue, guess I have to put the old spring back as well. I wonder why though

When it gets stuck, can you lift it up to help it open or does it feel like the latch is holding it back?

If you can open it, you need to adjust the opening force. If the latch is the problem, make sure the you mounted the motor in a way that doesn't bind the cable.

glad the video help!

I also reused the oem spring, i had some issues with the spring included. It didn't open correctly sometimes.

I think it's the same here, happens about 1:10 or 1:15 times. Haven't narrowed it down, but OEM spring.

It'll disengage and open (like a normal frunk would) and I could simply lift the frunk without a problem, so I know it's not latched. Occasionally (for grins) I would hit the button to open/close it again and it'll go up 1:3 times.

For me, it's /mostly/ a non-issue. I'm really mostly interested in the closing portion (grungy car) and have no problem lifting it up. I want to think it's related to a low voltage at the battery, the battery not supplying enough power.

When it gets stuck, can you lift it up to help it open or does it feel like the latch is holding it back?

If you can open it, you need to adjust the opening force. If the latch is the problem, make sure the you mounted the motor in a way that doesn't bind the cable.

It gets stuck like the timing of the latch releasing and the frunk going up is off so it goes up some and then stops and then closes itself again

how did you do that?

how did you set the opening force ?

With the programming button.
There are 5 levels(1 to 5) you can set it to. From the factory it's set 1, the lowest level.

In order to know which level it's set at, you need to have the buzzer connected.
Press and hold the programming button. After about 5 seconds it will beep once for level 1. Continue pressing it to hear 2 beeps, then 3 beeps and so on... release it when it's at the level you want.

Setting the closing force is the same way except you need to close the frunk latch before programming it.

Since you have your hands on the controller, bag it. The controller is NOT weatherproof. You need to cover it to protect it from moisture.

Hansshow Frunk Controller.jpg

With the programming button.
There are 5 levels(1 to 5) you can set it to. From the factory it's set 1, the lowest level.

In order to know which level it's set at, you need to have the buzzer connected.
Press and hold the programming button. After about 5 seconds it will beep once for level 1. Continue pressing it to hear 2 beeps, then 3 beeps and so on... release it when it's at the level you want.

Setting the closing force is the same way except you need to close the frunk latch before programming it.

Since you have your hands on the controller, bag it. The controller is NOT weatherproof. You need to cover it to protect it from moisture.

View attachment 521542

Where did you mount your controller ? I mounted mine in the empty spot right under the driver side strut. When you say bag it, you mean using the rubber bag that comes with it or using your own ?