Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power Inverters for newer 16V Outlet Cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I measured 15.3v at the rear cig. lighter outlet on my Y. That was one moment in time, so I don't know if that voltage varies much when in sleep mode or when driving. I'm pretty sure my cheapo 300W 12v inverter would burn up if I used it for anything much more than the load to charge up a cell phone (which I can do other ways in the Y).

Anyone have a link to a simple plug and play 16v to 12v converter for use with a radar detector?
I do not, but one way you could approach this is to buy a Jackery 240. That is way overkill; it can do a lot more than what you are asking for, but I its input will accept 16 volts and it is a cool think to have in your car. (It has a 12 volt output for you radar detector...

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc
So has anyone tapped directly into the battery not the lighter socket to deliver more than 300 watts? I had a 2,000 watt inverter for my MS but I have not attempted to use in my my MY yet. It seems to be rated for 16 volts as well but with he smaller battery I’m wondering if it will work. If you try to do that with the Lighter socket I would blow the fuse. I think 300-400 watts is probably the peak.,

Victron Phoenix inverters have an input voltage range of about 9.2 to 17 volts I believe. High quality inverters. I think that is what I will get to use with a Model Y.

I measured 15.5 volts at the cigarette port of my Model Y. As pure speculation, I am guessing that means 4 cells in series (an unknown number in parallel), which suggests the voltage could go even higher (16.4 volts or even 16.8 volts). (The former corresponding to 4.1 volts per cell (90% charge I believe?)...) But on the other hand a lot of people seem to mention that 15.5 volt number so maybe Tesla has a way of keeping the charge state maintained so that the voltage is generally just 15.5 V. Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas about that?
This Youtube video from WeberAuto gives a lot of information on the 16v battery:
The 16V Li-Ion Battery used by Tesla

Reactions: Bikeman
I have one of these, and I just tried it and it worked. It's rated up to 16V. So I can't say that it will always work for everyone.
I bought a new one, because I hacked the cord on the old one. It works! It had a no-load current of just under 300mA. I plugged in a load of 134W for about 1 minute, and it didn't trip the solid state fuse. Presumably you could run a 100 W load in definitely. Possibly a little more than 100 W. I didn't measure the current on the 16 V side under load because it might be more than my meter can handle(10A). Overall, I think we have a winner here.

Well I have one of those slime 12 V tire inflator from Walmart I’m sure they’re cheap. But the inflator completely burnt out after just a few minutes of use I couldn’t even pump up all of my tires. It could’ve been really bad because I was stuck in an underground parking garage and one my tires was really flat. It pumped it up a few pounds so I could make it to a gas station while I was quickly leaking. I want all the compressor pumped up about five tires. In my model X refresh before the thing just kept making noise but was unable to pump anymore air perhaps because it just got burnt out.

So if you want to pump up your tires on the fly you’re gonna have to buy one of those lithium ion handheld rechargeable tire pumps. The run you anywhere from $60-$150.

And forget about using a sine wave inverter, it’ll incinerate that as well I lost $1800 on that mistake. I bought a new one but I’ve given up on the refresh and I’m going to buy one of the older vehicles because these things are just only slightly faster, but the front trunk only holds about 110 pounds of cargo where the old one was 400 pounds, Frank space is decreased by about 40 to 60% and the rear trunk space in the five seater also has shrunk about 40% plus the little parcel shelf area forward of the rear trunk now has a bulging it making that almost useless for storage. They’ve managed in one fell swoop to take most of the utility out of a supposed sport utility vehicle. and considering these things were pretty lousy for offloading, all it really had going for it was extra storage, they certainly can’t tow worth a lick in terms of their tongue weight limitations and total weight limitations, which is really silly considering things are pretty good torque wise.

RIDGID make an 18v inflator that Home Depot now sell WITH the battery for around $80 (online only though)

It's a great tool and I carry one in the vehicle (but don't forget to periodically check the batteries). In fact you dial in the pressure you want and it pumps until it gets to that level

1697549374464.png

Reactions: Robert831
Well I have one of those slime 12 V tire inflator from Walmart I’m sure they’re cheap. But the inflator completely burnt out after just a few minutes of use I couldn’t even pump up all of my tires. It could’ve been really bad because I was stuck in an underground parking garage and one my tires was really flat. It pumped it up a few pounds so I could make it to a gas station while I was quickly leaking. I want all the compressor pumped up about five tires. In my model X refresh before the thing just kept making noise but was unable to pump anymore air perhaps because it just got burnt out.

So if you want to pump up your tires on the fly you’re gonna have to buy one of those lithium ion handheld rechargeable tire pumps. The run you anywhere from $60-$150.

And forget about using a sine wave inverter, it’ll incinerate that as well I lost $1800 on that mistake. I bought a new one but I’ve given up on the refresh and I’m going to buy one of the older vehicles because these things are just only slightly faster, but the front trunk only holds about 110 pounds of cargo where the old one was 400 pounds, Frank space is decreased by about 40 to 60% and the rear trunk space in the five seater also has shrunk about 40% plus the little parcel shelf area forward of the rear trunk now has a bulging it making that almost useless for storage. They’ve managed in one fell swoop to take most of the utility out of a supposed sport utility vehicle. and considering these things were pretty lousy for offloading, all it really had going for it was extra storage, they certainly can’t tow worth a lick in terms of their tongue weight limitations and total weight limitations, which is really silly considering things are pretty good torque wise.
I have the original Tesla 12V tire inflator from 2013, and it works just fine with this mini inverter:

Reactions: Robert831
I bought the BESTEK 300W, and it does nothing in my M3. I read in the OM about needing inverter that utilizes 16V input. I assume that's why the BESTEK fails, and why I searched & found this thread, searching for inverters taking 16V input

I got slightly different version of Bestek and checked that it works with 16v input. I plugged in ~200W and it worked well. I see that Bestek has two versions: one that works strictly at 12v and another one - 11v-15v. You can see it on the images.

Pure sine wave 300W

Non-pure sine wave 300W, but with USB-C

Not many threads I could find on this so hopefully this will be helpful to others. I believe the Tesla manual says it doesn't like or not to use power inverters, but I need to charge my laptop on the go so I started looking around. I just finished testing a few 12V-24V inverters because my 12V wasn't working correctly and randomly on my new '22 MY. There is no specific 16V inverter, so I purchased 3 different 12V-24V inverters which also took into account any voltage variation. I tested both the front/rear 16V outlets getting anywhere from 14.2V - 15.7V depending on the battery voltage.

The 3rd in the list below was the best w/120W of continuous power, had a separate power cord, and had cig-lighter extensions. The cig-lighter extension on the unit measured the same voltage as the battery which meant variable voltage and convenient. I connected my 12V 120W tire inflator to the cig-lighter extension and ran it for 5 minutes without a problem. I also charged up my laptop using an 87W MBP power adapter and it also worked great. The unit had a slight buzzing to it but so did my 12V inverter.

Tested all 3 below all of which worked and was able to piggy back my 12V inverter.
I kept the 3rd since it was the most useful.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0829JSS7Z/ <- 100W Max
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09638CTJK/ <- 100W Max
Amazon.com <- 120W Continuous

Pic of the one 1 kept which has 3 outlets (1 grounded), multiple USB charging ports, and 2 cig-lighter extensions.
I purchased the bottom one works great on my MYLR 2022

I purchased the bottom one works great on my MYLR 2022

The product that you mentioned looks great and seems very practical:

AC_SL1000_.jpg
Car Charger Adapter with 3 AC Outlets​
Dual Cigarette Lighter​
4 USB Ports Charger - Quick Charging 3.0​

However there is no indication that the 110V AC inverter generates Pure Sine Wave, which might damage some Power Adapters.
There is no information regarding the total AC Power available and if the inverter turns lower when there is no load connected to it,
so no information regarding its consumption and efficiency. Also there is no information about the manufacturer name.

I would recommend instead using a Pure Sine Wave 110V AC Inverter, such as the Victron (see #50), Giandel (see #51) or Bestek (See below)

Bezteck .jpgBestek
300Watt Pure Sine Wave Power Inverter
Car Adapter DC 12V to AC 110V
with 4.2A Dual Smart USB Ports

Last edited:
The product that you mentioned looks great and seems very practical:

View attachment 1015485
Car Charger Adapter with 3 AC Outlets​
Dual Cigarette Lighter​
4 USB Ports Charger - Quick Charging 3.0​

However there is no indication that the 110V AC inverter generates Pure Sine Wave, which might damage some Power Adapters.
There is no information regarding the total AC Power available and if the inverter turns lower when there is no load connected to it,
so no information regarding its consumption and efficiency. Also there is no information about the manufacturer name.

I would recommend instead using a Pure Sine Wave 110V AC Inverter, such as the Victron (see #50), Giandel (see #51) or Bestek (See below)

View attachment 1015490Bestek
300Watt Pure Sine Wave Power Inverter
Car Adapter DC 12V to AC 110V
with 4.2A Dual Smart USB Ports
You should really try and read others people’s experiences before posting
IMG_0777.jpeg

Reactions: doghousePVD