TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Power Lift-gate Loophole

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by supratachophobia, Mar 1, 2016.

1. supratachophobia

supratachophobia Active Member

Can anyone confirm or deny that if you do not opt for the premium interior package (so no power lift-gate), but you do opt for rear-facing seats, do you end up getting the power lift-gate anyway since the kids need a way to exit via the reachable button? Just a thought. I was originally a little miffed that you couldn't get the power lift-gate separate until I actually saw the interior trim improvements, the mood lighting, the fog lights in action, etc. Then I was super-glad I was "forced" to get the whole package. It really rounds off the interior nicely and IMO, a good move on Tesla's part to bundle it.

2. MsElectric

MsElectric Active Member

I think they have been doing a much better job of bundling. I especially like how they've bundled the options for the Model X. The option packages for the Model X absolutely make sense and fairly priced.

3. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

In another thread, I think MassModel3 stated that he doesn't have a power lift gate but does have the button, and it only goes one way (it only opens the hatch).

Whereas I have both the rear seats (button) and power liftgate, and mine opens and closes the hatch from the RFS.

4. chriSharek

chriSharek Member

I agree completely. Good bundle and really finishes the luxury car with a luxury car interior.

5. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

While I don't know Tesla's stance, this makes sense. Gas struts want to be "expanded", i.e., open. The button could electronically unlatch the hatch and the gas struts then push the hatch open.

6. islandbayy

islandbayy Active Member

Non, Powered Lift Gate, The button triggers the electromagnetically latch, then must use good ol muscle power to lift the lift gate.

7. supratachophobia

supratachophobia Active Member

Exactly.

- - - Updated - - -

Even more interesting. I guess one way action is better than no action, and it kinda eliminates the loophole while still achieving the desired result of the kids being able to get themselves out.

8. AMPUP

AMPUP Member

I have luxury interior(with light etc) , kids seats, P85+ and a manual hatch. This was when they had weird options in 2013. Kids push the button and push up on the hatch. I'm pretty sure I could retrofit with two struts a harness and button if I could find the parts.