Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power Lift-gate Loophole

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anyone confirm or deny that if you do not opt for the premium interior package (so no power lift-gate), but you do opt for rear-facing seats, do you end up getting the power lift-gate anyway since the kids need a way to exit via the reachable button? Just a thought. I was originally a little miffed that you couldn't get the power lift-gate separate until I actually saw the interior trim improvements, the mood lighting, the fog lights in action, etc. Then I was super-glad I was "forced" to get the whole package. It really rounds off the interior nicely and IMO, a good move on Tesla's part to bundle it.

Can anyone confirm or deny that if you do not opt for the premium interior package (so no power lift-gate), but you do opt for rear-facing seats, do you end up getting the power lift-gate anyway since the kids need a way to exit via the reachable button? Just a thought. I was originally a little miffed that you couldn't get the power lift-gate separate until I actually saw the interior trim improvements, the mood lighting, the fog lights in action, etc. Then I was super-glad I was "forced" to get the whole package. It really rounds off the interior nicely and IMO, a good move on Tesla's part to bundle it.

I think they have been doing a much better job of bundling. I especially like how they've bundled the options for the Model X. The option packages for the Model X absolutely make sense and fairly priced.

In another thread, I think MassModel3 stated that he doesn't have a power lift gate but does have the button, and it only goes one way (it only opens the hatch).

Whereas I have both the rear seats (button) and power liftgate, and mine opens and closes the hatch from the RFS.

. . . I was originally a little miffed that you couldn't get the power lift-gate separate until I actually saw the interior trim improvements, the mood lighting, the fog lights in action, etc. Then I was super-glad I was "forced" to get the whole package. It really rounds off the interior nicely and IMO, a good move on Tesla's part to bundle it.

I agree completely. Good bundle and really finishes the luxury car with a luxury car interior.

In another thread, I think MassModel3 stated that he doesn't have a power lift gate but does have the button, and it only goes one way (it only opens the hatch).

Whereas I have both the rear seats (button) and power liftgate, and mine opens and closes the hatch from the RFS.

While I don't know Tesla's stance, this makes sense. Gas struts want to be "expanded", i.e., open. The button could electronically unlatch the hatch and the gas struts then push the hatch open.

I agree completely. Good bundle and really finishes the luxury car with a luxury car interior.

Exactly.

- - - Updated - - -

Even more interesting. I guess one way action is better than no action, and it kinda eliminates the loophole while still achieving the desired result of the kids being able to get themselves out.

I have luxury interior(with light etc) , kids seats, P85+ and a manual hatch. This was when they had weird options in 2013. Kids push the button and push up on the hatch. I'm pretty sure I could retrofit with two struts a harness and button if I could find the parts.