Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power off and parking breaks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought the parking brake is automatically applied when the Park button is pressed.
Only if your Parking ain't broken.:eek::D

Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 11.20.00 AM.png

I should have more explicit. I installed the OBD2 add-on cable connecter at the back of the center console. You obviously have to have the power off. I was asking if the park breaks stays on when you power off. I did press the park button with foot on brake for 4 secs.
It stays, but I put blocks also just in case... :)

P.S. parking breaks to me meant what is called "hand break" on other cars.

• Funny
Reactions: lUtriaNt
I should have more explicit. I installed the OBD2 add-on cable connecter at the back of the center console. You obviously have to have the power off. I was asking if the park breaks stays on when you power off. I did press the park button with foot on brake for 4 secs.
It stays, but I put blocks also just in case... :)

P.S. parking breaks to me meant what is called "hand break" on other cars.

They are teasing you because you typed "parking breaks" and just now typed "hand breaks" when its "parking brake", and "hand brake".

When I see this, I usually assume (yeah I know, for those of you who are about to talk about assumptions, lol) that either the person was ina hurry typing, or english is not their native language (or they speak multiple languages).

Break / Brake is one of those annoying english words that is pronounced the exact same in either instance, but means something completely different.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
There is a secondary parking brake that can be activated by holding down the park button after you shift to Park. You can try it yourself, the manual is technically wrong. Yes is automatically go in to Park but that's not really the "handbrake"

It is not a secondary brake. It just applies maximum pressure to the same parking brake mechanism when you normally put the car in PARK.

It is not a secondary brake. It just applies maximum pressure to the same parking brake mechanism when you normally put the car in PARK.

So you're saying that the normal P is just applying just enough pressure on the brakes to stop the car from moving and if it was on a hill it could possibly roll away? Why would the normal park not be "maximum pressure"? Why does the engaging the "handbrake" cause a secondary action that makes a mechanical sound?