Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am trying to do some quick tests to determine my vampire drain. One of things I noticed is that when I try to “turn off” the car, it just comes back on 3 secs later. No way to completely turn off the car. Anybody else have that experience?

I am trying to do some quick tests to determine my vampire drain. One of things I noticed is that when I try to “turn off” the car, it just comes back on 3 secs later. No way to completely turn off the car. Anybody else have that experience?
I'm going to assume you did not get out of the car yet since you said 3 secs later. Have you tried getting out of the car, go put your keep far away and then walk back to the car to look inside ?

I have the same issue with this `Power Off` button on Model 3, It's Just turn off the display for 5-10 seconds then back to light.
On my Model S, it will goes to sleep/Shutdown unless you press the brake.

I was doing a normal cross border shopping trip today in my Model 3 from Canada into the US. The border agent requested me to Power off my vehicle while i was seated in the car. I looked at him somewhat puzzled and said I have no idea how to do that unless I get out of the vehicle. After a lengthy dialogue with the agent about how I was going to comply with his request, he finally waved me on. I discovered after after reading the manual that the powering off button is located in Safety and Security. I learn something new every day.

I'm going to assume you did not get out of the car yet since you said 3 secs later. Have you tried getting out of the car, go put your keep far away and then walk back to the car to look inside ?
I have noticed this. Using the power off option only seems to reboot the car. On my S when I tell it to power off, it stays off until I press the brake pedal.
My son and I were trying to test a phone to bluetooth connection problem (Pixel 3, connect 1/4 sec, reinit, connect 1/4, ec reinit...)
... we were attempting to 'Power Off' his Model 3 but like the above could not figure out how to make it work like my Model X does when I 'Power Off' it --- ie. 'hard reboot' - restart more 'subsystems' in my mind. It seems like the car takes longer to 'reboot'/'restart' when you do the two button reboot ... ie. an indication to us that the 'Power Off' was not working ... or not how we expected.

I was doing a normal cross border shopping trip today in my Model 3 from Canada into the US. The border agent requested me to Power off my vehicle while i was seated in the car. I looked at him somewhat puzzled and said I have no idea how to do that unless I get out of the vehicle. After a lengthy dialogue with the agent about how I was going to comply with his request, he finally waved me on. I discovered after after reading the manual that the powering off button is located in Safety and Security. I learn something new every day.

It wasn't entirely clear from your post, but let me guess: this was the US border agent, right? (Why are our people always such, uh, er, fusspots?)

I wonder if just putting the car in park would have satisfied him. I've never been asked to power a car off (electric or gas) at the US/Canada border in either direction.

I would have reacted the same way as you if I was in that situation.

You may need to put your phone in airplane mode or equivellant for what ever phone you’re using. Otherwise, it’s likley waking up the car.

You may need to sit still also, (so I was told by the Tesla rep. )
Not sure if the seat detects movment, but maybe the air bag sensors detect you in the seat. Who knows.

I had to follow this process to fix the poor cell reception I was getting.