Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power Reduced warning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a warning a couple of nights ago coming home from the airport:

Power Reduced
Front motor temporarily disabled

It was on for the whole 2 hour ride home, which included stopping to park the car. The car was fine when I got out of the parking spot initially, but I charged at the free airport charger to get enough juice to get home, and the warning came on after that.

Has anyone seen this one before?
20190526_225259.jpg

I had this yesterday right after supercharging for about 10 minutes. After reading that putting the car in park might clear it, I tried that and it worked. I contacted Tesla today and they said its not an active alert now but if it happens again, drive straight to a service center. Could it be a 2019.16.2 bug?

Jerry from Milford service just called me. They pulled my logs remotely and found that this is a firmware bug where the front motor gets stuck in a mode of trying to dump waste heat. If I had exited the car (instead of just putting it in park) it would have cleared the issue. They will be updating it, obviously, in short order.

Gotta love a car that can be 'fixed' with a phone call and an internet connection.

• Informative
Reactions: mchawk
There’s a couple threads around with people posting this issue if you do a quick search. Here’s one of them.

Front motor temporarily disabled?

My friend with a p3d+ just got this the other day. Happened to go away after supercharging.

Sorry, didn't see that thread after my quick search. Thanks for pointing it out, though, as I let them know the resolution as well.

• Love
Reactions: hcdavis3
Jerry from Milford service just called me. They pulled my logs remotely and found that this is a firmware bug where the front motor gets stuck in a mode of trying to dump waste heat. If I had exited the car (instead of just putting it in park) it would have cleared the issue. They will be updating it, obviously, in short order.

Gotta love a car that can be 'fixed' with a phone call and an internet connection.

Right, but that same internet connection and some other "fix" is what broke it in the first place. o_O