Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power Steering falling apart

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If Tesla does a rack swap and comes with aluminum bolts, you'll be in a fine position to immediately replace bolts with SS yourself. None of the bolts should snap on a new unit when taking them out.

Just take out one bolt at a time and replace with SS, torque it down, and move on to the next bolt. Doing one at a time the positioning of the motor and therefore belt tension will not change.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I just got a call from Transport Canada today. They would like to hear of all Canadian vehicle steering rack failures for their investigation. Please call Darryl Malone of Transport Canada at 1-800-333-0510
They are especially interested in examining a failed part even if it is just a sheared bolt. Unfortunately I did not ask for the failed rack when I got mine replaced .

Thanks for doing the leg work and keeping us informed.

Everyone keep your bits!

If the motor has to come off (because a bolt snapped) ... then maybe it's easy to knock out this plug, from the inside when the motor is off... to inspect the belt positioning and tension while tightening the motor back on... then put the plug back in (from the outside) once the bolts are back on.

IMG_6077.JPG

Closeup.JPG

If Tesla does a rack swap and comes with aluminum bolts, you'll be in a fine position to immediately replace bolts with SS yourself. None of the bolts should snap on a new unit when taking them out.

Just take out one bolt at a time and replace with SS, torque it down, and move on to the next bolt. Doing one at a time the positioning of the motor and therefore belt tension will not change.

Sure I could do it myself, but if this is an broad issue why is Tesla continuing to use faulty parts.

Reactions: mrElbe
As a data point, our rack was changed on may 31 2017 at 136035 km on an S85 built and delivered in december 2013. We live in Québec. We have the extended warranty.

When completely turnig left, there was noise. As you can see on the attatched file, most part numbers are still having « A » suffix’s meaning no change since the start of production in 2012 but for one bolt which now has a « C » suffix.

By the way, the company is doing a great job at honoring the warranty and the service level is excellent. Most repairs are done at the Mintréal service center. It’s possible to show up without an appointment and be serviced on the spot. It has not always been the case.

Also, if we had to buy a car, we would buy exactly the same car with the same options. We live in a rural and AP is not a big need item. Cheers

Attachments

• A27A7173-5933-4F78-A991-7AE17C7F11A4.jpeg
    A27A7173-5933-4F78-A991-7AE17C7F11A4.jpeg
    208 KB · Views: 150
As a data point, our rack was changed on may 31 2017 at 136035 km on an S85 built and delivered in december 2013. We live in Québec. We have the extended warranty.

When completely turnig left, there was noise. As you can see on the attatched file, most part numbers are still having « A » suffix’s meaning no change since the start of production in 2012 but for one bolt which now has a « C » suffix.

By the way, the company is doing a great job at honoring the warranty and the service level is excellent. Most repairs are done at the Mintréal service center. It’s possible to show up without an appointment and be serviced on the spot. It has not always been the case.

Also, if we had to buy a car, we would buy exactly the same car with the same options. We live in a rural and AP is not a big need item. Cheers

Thanks for the information. Shows that the unit is at an first release level. So there may not have been a change. A couple other possibilities to throw out there: The bolts changed and so did the entire part number. Or the bolt change was determined not to impact fit/ form/ function (in near term) so they may have been able to make the change without a rev bump and associated paperwork (or did it internally), then tracked the change based on serial number.

New racks now come out with steel bolts changed sometime in 2016 I believe so I'm sure any racks changed now will be new parts just have to watch used racks on the market of course it would be easy to change out when we get our June 2016 production model X back from the shop I will take it apart and take pictures and post

If the part is going back to the supplier (under warranty) the supplier may have a right (contract) to supply same-for-same new part. Not necessarily a newer version of the part. Depends what they have a warehouse full of, and when the actually drain it, and just happen to start supplying replacements with new version.

The new steering rack will not fit because the mounting points are different on the subframe. the replacement is exactly the same os the original part. So, even if anybody had it replaced while still under warranty, be prepared to replace it again in about 3 years.
That is why I am going to replace the bolts with stainless ones and apply creepy Fluid Film to seal the joint.

Hi guys. Is there any concern that using stainless steel bolts with the motor casing will cause corrosion of the aluminum casing? Is the casing aluminum? I'm asking because people who installed the Ecohitch from Torklift are seeing corrosion where the steel plates touch the structure of the rear bumper. I imagine there is a difference since the bolts are stainless steel and not steel?

Hi guys. Is there any concern that using stainless steel bolts with the motor casing will cause corrosion of the aluminum casing? Is the casing aluminum? I'm asking because people who installed the Ecohitch from Torklift are seeing corrosion where the steel plates touch the structure of the rear bumper. I imagine there is a difference since the bolts are stainless steel and not steel?

Let me get that for you.. Power Steering falling apart