Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power trunk and frunk [pre 2021 Model 3]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've just bought this kit but I will not be able to install it until better weather comes in. I did check the contents and I am missing a couple of items from the tailgate kit, nothing critical I think but without specs, I don't know what I need to replace them I am in correspondence with Hansshow about the missing items.

Hi

First post here so forgive me. I have a M3P Aug 2019 and recently had a new baby so this retro fit is something I’m keen on getting done in the early part of 2021. However don’t have confidence to do it myself.

I saw today a good deal on a Hansshow kit today but seems to have gone back up in price now.... in less than 2 hours since I posted about it.

This seems to be the best kit from my research. Does anyone recommend a fitter in the Berkshire/Surrey area?

remote if possible

thanks for your assistance

Attachments

• A8BA3F1A-B15A-45CD-8238-25E569536ED3.png
    A8BA3F1A-B15A-45CD-8238-25E569536ED3.png
    370 KB · Views: 102
I’ve had the trunk from Hannshow since July. No issues at all and mine isn’t plugged into the CANBUS.

That being said I’m one of the select few who hasn’t ever had to goto a service centre for any car faults.

Now that is interesting - I have installed the Frunk (works perfectly) but have been reticent to install the Hansshow Trunk kit because I was worried about connecting to the CANBUS.

Do you mind describing how the trunk works without the CANBUS connection? If not needed what is lost by not connecting it?

Thanks

I fitted the trunk (only) and simply didn't connect the CANBUS. It works perfectly though doesn't reflect the open status on the screen correctly. I've not found that to be a problem and doesn't prevent you being able to open and close from the screen in a toggle manner.

It's been working without issue for a good few months now.

For the record, I also installed the foot detector and that too works fine.

• Informative
Reactions: Sparkeur
Just thought I'd resurrect this to post the following:

Long story short - an OEM retrofit of the powered boot from the 2021 on cars isn't going to be practical. At the very least the hinges have changed to accommodate the larger strut, as well as a mounting point for the hinge on the actual bootlid. Raymond @ TeslaOffer seems to think there are changes in the wiring looms too.

Obviously TO have a vested interest in people buying their products vs getting an OEM retrofit, but the hinge difference is as clear as day.

A ranger who came to do remedial work on my car twice was adament that an OEM retrofit was in the wings, based on the number of enquiries the SC had been getting, but I can't see how it would be remotely possible for Tesla to do it without significant work (particularly if there are loom changes involved), and based on the glacial timings involved in even simple things (e.g. allowing MY21 SR+ owners to unlock their heated steering wheel) I would not expect them to offer this on any practical timeline, even if you assumed it was possible.

Long story short - an OEM retrofit of the powered boot from the 2021 on cars isn't going to be practical. At the very least the hinges have changed to accommodate the larger strut, as well as a mounting point for the hinge on the actual bootlid. Raymond @ TeslaOffer seems to think there are changes in the wiring looms too.

Obviously TO have a vested interest in people buying their products vs getting an OEM retrofit, but the hinge difference is as clear as day.

A ranger who came to do remedial work on my car twice was adament that an OEM retrofit was in the wings, based on the number of enquiries the SC had been getting, but I can't see how it would be remotely possible for Tesla to do it without significant work (particularly if there are loom changes involved), and based on the glacial timings involved in even simple things (e.g. allowing MY21 SR+ owners to unlock their heated steering wheel) I would not expect them to offer this on any practical timeline, even if you assumed it was possible.
I would love to see how the new hinge would compare with the old one. I know he said it won't fit, but I'd take that with a pinch of salt (as you say a vested interest). Let's assume the holes are near identical, switching the hinge with the strut should make light work of the retrofit. If not I suppose they could make another hinge to accommodate the old holes - but realistically I don't see this happening.

The loom may well have changed to accommodate the power going to the struts, but I don't envisage this to be too difficult to do - depending on where it is and what trim/ panels need to be removed.

For me the value of it would've been in Tesla retrofitting it themselves, and therefore warrantying it, etc. If it has to be done by the end user, and isn't officially approved - you might as well just get one of the aftermarket ones - with more options (opening and closing speed, foot sensor, etc).

You can see the difference in hinges at 1:21 in that video. You can see that the bottom on the 2021-on car is flared out to make space for the strut. It's not totally clear but it looks like maybe the hinge screws to the boot in a slightly different place too. He suggests that you might have to screw a new hole for it in the boot.

It would be cool if someone did actually try and go through the motions of retrofitting it, but it doesn't look as trivial as I thought it would be.

For me the value of it would've been in Tesla retrofitting it themselves, and therefore warrantying it, etc. If it has to be done by the end user, and isn't officially approved - you might as well just get one of the aftermarket ones - with more options (opening and closing speed, foot sensor, etc).

You can see the difference in hinges at 1:21 in that video. You can see that the bottom on the 2021-on car is flared out to make space for the strut. It's not totally clear but it looks like maybe the hinge screws to the boot in a slightly different place too. He suggests that you might have to screw a new hole for it in the boot.

It would be cool if someone did actually try and go through the motions of retrofitting it, but it doesn't look as trivial as I thought it would be.
100% agree, I'd want the warranty if going down the retrofit route.

The difference in hinge was definitely clear, but the hole positioning wasn't. I suspect the holes to be fairly similar and should be a simple case of new hinge, strut and power to retrofit.

TBH I was annoyed it wasn't powerlifting initially and was on the verge of buying one of the kits but in the end, the spring and strut were enough to suit my needs. I am running out of things to tinker with now though, but I don't see me changing hinges anytime soon - if it is even possible lol

Reactions: Durzel
I never thought I'd be bothered with having to close the boot, and it's not like it's the biggest stress in my life.. but at the same time, there have been times I've got to work with laptop and other stuff in my hands and it would've been convenient - which I guess is the point.

Also - although I've padded my numberplate holder so it doesn't rattle, the boot closing still sounds decidedly "low quality". That really is #firstworldproblems though.

Reactions: Jez_GB

Interesting video -- but if you look at his car, it has two motors, one on each side... however I recall seeing it on only one side before... https://twitter.com/tesla_raj/status/1317612979819474944

also if im not wrong... there is a physical difference in appearance between teslaoffers "OEM" and the other photo. there is no boot type thing on the upper portion on the driver side.

wondering if there is any difference in this one??

Yeah, the Tesla OEM solution only has one powered strut. They consider that enough I guess?

The strut he has got in his hand in that video is the genuine Tesla strut, at least according to the part number:

Screenshot 2021-05-05 at 09.19.52.png

The EPC says the part number is:
5TRUNK GAS STRUT1091560-00-BOver-the-Counter(No VIN)£0.0022

It's hard to say for sure but it looks like the same part number as in the photo.

There are actually three sets of left hand side hinges in the EPC too for the Model 3 (UK, I assume worldwide too). I assume 1551482-00-X are the new versions, based on the part number format. No idea why there are two variants.

#PartPart NumberSales RestrictionUnit PriceRepair QuantityOrder in Quantity
1TRUNK HINGE LH1092820-00-EOver-the-Counter(No VIN)£0.0012
1TRUNK HINGE LH1551482-00-DOver-the-Counter(No VIN)£0.0011
1TRUNK HINGE LH1551482-00-GOver-the-Counter(No VIN)£0.0011
2TRUNK HINGE RH1092821-00-EOver-the-Counter(No VIN)£0.0012

Reactions: dandan and doats1
100% agree, I'd want the warranty if going down the retrofit route.

The difference in hinge was definitely clear, but the hole positioning wasn't. I suspect the holes to be fairly similar and should be a simple case of new hinge, strut and power to retrofit.

TBH I was annoyed it wasn't powerlifting initially and was on the verge of buying one of the kits but in the end, the spring and strut were enough to suit my needs. I am running out of things to tinker with now though, but I don't see me changing hinges anytime soon - if it is even possible lol
Digging into the EPC, there are at least 3 versions of the boot lid:

11TRUNK ASSY, MODEL 3, E-COATED 1081460-E0-D Over-the-Counter(No VIN) £0.00 1 1
11TRUNK ASSY, MODEL 3, POWERED 1601460-E0-A Over-the-Counter(No VIN) £0.00 1 1
11TRUNK ASSY, MODEL 3, POWERED 1601460-EC-A Over-the-Counter(No VIN) £0.00 1 1

This would suggest to me that he is actually right, that the bolt holes are in different places. Don't know why there are two versions of the "new" one.

• Informative
Reactions: s88ats and doats1
That is very strange - it would make retrofitting that much more difficult. The only other plausible alternative I can think of to retrofit would be 'custom-made' hinges, but again I don't see Tesla doing this.

I certainly don't think Tesla would expect customers who would be interested in a retrofit to change the strut, hinge, boot lid and labour :oops: Warranty or not I'm sure the aftermarket kits would be cost-effective but then again these are only assumptions and I have no idea what they have up their sleeves (if anything).

Is there a reason power isn't tapped from the 12v supply available under the rear seat, rather than having to tap right at the front of the car, removing more trim? From what I've been led to believe the 12v supply under the seat is switched, so no risk of phantom drain while car is asleep etc.

I noticed on Twitter that the mobile service team at CleevelyEV were proudly announcing a recent surge of Tesla trunk and frunk fitments.
I already have a Hansshow Trunk kit excellently installed by our very own @Mr H so wondered what they'd charge to supply and fit the Frunk kit.
Unfortunately they wanted £680 for supply and fit of the basic Frunk kit plus £55 for the kicker - ouch - just as well they are fully booked into late June, it made it easier to say "not this time thanks". :(