Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power Trunk Retrofit on Model 3s now Available Direct from Tesla [09.14.2023 - 2018 model 3 not eligible]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As of 10/10/23 im no longer seeing the model 3 trunk retrofit option on the Tesla US app or online. Does anyone know why?

Its still there as of 10/10/23 (after your post), so I am not sure what you are looking at. If you are looking at an older link from when it was first available, see @stopcrazypp post #147 in this thread for why you dont see it at that older link. The one in that same post (#147) still worked as of right now when I checked it, which was after your post asking why it was no longer available:

Just got the power trunk retrofit done on my 2019. It took longer than they expected, which they originally quoted same day but went into the next day. While my kids are enjoying the upgrade since they can now open and close the trunk themselves, I'm disappointed that the opening now is much smaller than it was before. I've bumped my head a few times bending in and out of the trunk. Just a small FYI for those looking into this retrofit.

Are you not able to adjust it per the manual?

https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/model3/en_us/GUID-3667D28B-5B3B-49CE-A1C1-3D70AC60D9F6.html

Adjusting Opening Height of Powered Trunk​

You can adjust the opening height of the powered trunk (if equipped) to make it easier to reach or to avoid low-hanging ceilings or objects (for example, a garage door or light):

1. Open the trunk, then manually lower or raise it to the desired opening height.
  2. Press and hold the button on the underside of the trunk for three seconds until you hear a confirmation chime.
  3. Confirm that you have set it to the desired height by closing the powered trunk, then reopening it.

CAUTION
Depending on configuration (such as wheel selection), your vehicle's rear trunk can open up to approximately 6.5 feet (2 meters). Adjust the rear trunk height to prevent it from coming into contact with low ceilings or other objects.

Just got the power trunk retrofit done on my 2019. It took longer than they expected, which they originally quoted same day but went into the next day. While my kids are enjoying the upgrade since they can now open and close the trunk themselves, I'm disappointed that the opening now is much smaller than it was before. I've bumped my head a few times bending in and out of the trunk. Just a small FYI for those looking into this retrofit.
Thanks for posting. I have a 2018, and my supports are getting tired, such that they no longer open all the way up. Since I have recently bumped my head a few times, was considering this upgrade, but I think I'll just replace the OEM struts/shocks.

Reactions: xilex
Thanks for posting. I have a 2018, and my supports are getting tired, such that they no longer open all the way up. Since I have recently bumped my head a few times, was considering this upgrade, but I think I'll just replace the OEM struts/shocks.
Its not available for 2018 vehicles, at least not as of the time I am posting this. Several of us tried to buy it the day it was available and for all 2018 vehicles we ended up getting refunds.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: Dave EV and Big Dog
No the trunk opening is at max height. I think you newer owners don’t know how gaping wide the original trunk opened.
Yep. Definitely doesn't open as much as the trunk w/ manual struts. I've bumped my head a few times on the trunk bump stops. I'm able to push mine further up just a tad and hold the button till it beeps, but it doesn't save that max height. always opens back to the original opening height.

not gonna complain though. still works well enough for me.

I picked my 2019 TM3 last night. Got the Retro fit installed. I got it after hours, the first thing I noticed was "wait... the trunk didn't open as high as I remembered it did", it's right at my face height. I immediately walked over to my 2021+ TM3 loaner with power truck, and opened it, it was the same height, so I went on my way.

I knew the button would be different than OEM from this thread, I have no problem with it at all. I did this for my wife, who is 5'2" (I'm 6'2"), she drives the TM3. I'm glad they came out with this kit, I would not have done it otherwise.

Just picked up after getting this installed. Surprisingly it took a couple days. [snip]
Aside from @msb175 , can anyone else who as had the retrofit kit installed comment on how long your service appointment took? I've got my install appointment scheduled for 18 November and I'm wanting to set expectations on how long I'll be without a vehicle. Is it truly a couple of days for this work to be completed?