Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powershop bought by Shell? Time to move…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Shell has an uphill PR battle on their hands!

Well it’s theoretically possible that every one of PowerShop’s 185,000 customers could churn. And then Shell would be left with a… shell of a company. And with no customers, what did they buy, exactly? Probably some billing/charging platforms and IP, the PowerShop brand and goodwill, and not much else. This could backfire spectacularly.

Reactions: Hairyman and Chuq
Proudly churned today from Powershop. Looks like it's a PR nightmare for them already, they're trying to claim that it'll mean more investment in renewables blah blah. Smells like Greenwashing from a company that actively undermined responses to climate change and regulation of the fossil fuel industry. Never getting a dollar from me.
Complete sophistry from Shell. If they were serious about increasing renewables investments they would have bought Powershop’s generating assets.

Does it know about solar exports (hence estimates FIT for different plans) or does it base the calculation only on net usage?
It will take data from your meter and work on things from there if you know your NMI. It does not offer an option to include the EV charging plans available from some retailers, so it did not identify the cheapest arrangement for me.

It will take data from your meter and work on things from there if you know your NMI. It does not offer an option to include the EV charging plans available from some retailers, so it did not identify the cheapest arrangement for me.
It won't even work with my NMI. I assume that even though the meter has been in place for a few years, I switched to TOU in June and I guess this affects what they can do.

No, they miss a lot of detail that makes quite a difference, even though the information is available to them. The power companies make the pricing pretty opaque as part of the game.
And you have to read the fine print. Some have this fantastic FIT and then you find out its got a tiny monthly limit, after which its zero. The fine print isnt all ont he government site.

Reactions: m4rtin

This mob are on the way, and are building and buying renewable energy generators in Australia.

I’ll be following what they come up with as an alternative to Powershop.

I’m also pretty unhappy with the takeover of Powershop Australia. I can’t find a better rate for charging my car at the moment - 6.58c from 0000-0400 hrs.

The other companies offering EV arrangements are Origin and AGL. The plans are not as good and their background not much better than Shell.

I have just moved my gas from Origin to Powershop. It gets 100% offset too.

I spent the early part of the afternoon looking at ReAmped, Diamond, Amber and one other I have forgotten. The price structures are not quite as good for me.

If Powershop moves its rates I’ll certainly be out of there.

If people have other insights I’m all ears
I'm in the same boat as you. None of the others I have looked at even come close to the rates I'm paying with Powershop with the times I purchase power.

EnergyLocals don't even look like they are serious. It was 21c/kWh for all day rate but for ToU it was 22c/kWh for off-peak and shoulder and peak were even higher.

ReAmped was a bit better but still substantially more than I'm paying now, including the almost 4c/kWh premium I'm paying for 100% green energy.

There doesn't seem to be any way to see what the rates would be with Amber without actually switching to them.