Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall 2 degradation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Powerwall 2 was installed in about June 2020.

I am in NSW but the unit has not been connected to Tesla's grid service mode such as with @amberelectric.

Yesterday, I checked yesterday (using this method Discussion: How to get status information from your Powerwalls) on its current capacity.

If I am reading the data correctly, it has already decreased to on 11.15KWh (or about 82% of the original 13.5KWh).

I was quite surprised by the extent of the degradation, but I admit that I had suspected it because it seemed to be discharging much quicker than I recalled.

Anyway, at this rate, it looks like I am going to reach the 10yr/70% warranty in less than 4 years.

I am wondering what your experience has been?

Have I just got a defective unit ?

Should I be talking to Tesla now ?

Should I go through my original installer or go straight to Tesla?

My Powerwall 2 was installed in about June 2020.

I am in NSW but the unit has not been connected to Tesla's grid service mode such as with @amberelectric.

Yesterday, I checked yesterday (using this method Discussion: How to get status information from your Powerwalls) on its current capacity.

If I am reading the data correctly, it has already decreased to on 11.15KWh (or about 82% of the original 13.5KWh).

I was quite surprised by the extent of the degradation, but I admit that I had suspected it because it seemed to be discharging much quicker than I recalled.

Anyway, at this rate, it looks like I am going to reach the 10yr/70% warranty in less than 4 years.

I am wondering what your experience has been?

Have I just got a defective unit ?

Should I go through my original installer or go straight to Tesla?
You havnt reached the warranty condition so presumably they will all tell you politely to go away until you do. The degredation may flatten as well.

Can you see what it's cycle history is?

Some degradation discussion here

Can you see what it's cycle history is?

Some degradation discussion here
No it doesn't provide the cycle history or the total throughput.

So when I was 100% charged and did Energy - Get Battery Data (Get Site Live Status showed the same) and got:

total_pack_energy 14023

My Powerwall 2 was installed in 2017 so its got NMC (Nickel-Manganese-Cobalt) Lithium chemistry and made at Giga Nevada.

Interestingly I saw these two settings, which would be nice to know how to enable.

vehicle_charging_performance_view_enabled FALSE
vehicle_charging_solar_offset_view_enabled FALSE

Last edited:

I would do nothing until the capacity is below 70%. If/when it goes below 70%, I would suggest you first contact your installer for a warranty claim.

FWIW, my PW2 is 32 months old and 'total_pack_energy' shows as 10306 or 78.1% of the initial rated usable power of 13.2 kWh. If it started at 100% and the decline is linear (which it isn’t), it would go below 70% early next year - so not even 4 years 🤷‍♂️.

But I’m not het up about it. I will sit it out and make a warranty claim when it is eligible.

I’d be much more het up if that was capacity loss on my car…

I would do nothing until the capacity is below 70%. If/when it goes below 70%, I would suggest you first contact your installer for a warranty claim.

FWIW, my PW2 is 32 months old and 'total_pack_energy' shows as 10306 or 78.1% of the initial rated usable power of 13.2 kWh. If it started at 100% and the decline is linear (which it isn’t), it would go below 70% early next year - so not even 4 years 🤷‍♂️.

But I’m not het up about it. I will sit it out and make a warranty claim when it is eligible.

I’d be much more het up if that was capacity loss on my car…
Well it seems that Tesla does have a massive exposure brewing on these units.

But I am a bit het because a unit with this much degradation is not as useful as one with the full depth of discharge on a hot summer or cold winter night. And that's what its for.

Sounded like it was murky waters between Tesla and SolarEdge as to liability for warranty. At least the Powerwall 2 is all-in-one so less cop-outs.

I still say I'd take good design over good warranty any day.
Under consumer law any warranty claim must occur through the retailer, and the retailer can not remoe their responsibilty to manage the claim with the manufacturer.

Reactions: Hairyman
Well it seems that Tesla does have a massive exposure brewing on these units.

It certainly does. Your and my experience is not at all unusual if the USA Powerwall threads are anything to go by.

But I am a bit het because a unit with this much degradation is not as useful as one with the full depth of discharge on a hot summer or cold winter night. And that's what its for.

Well, OK, but the bulk of the value in a Powerwall is in is first 10 kWh of capacity, not the last few. But YMMV.

This post shows the results of some "what if" modelling I did, based on my own solar generation and usage patterns. Click on the graph, it shows rapidly diminishing returns after 1 Powerwall.

Reactions: sczsimos