Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall 2 Installs in Hawaii

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Papafox

Supporting Member
Jan 12, 2013
Hawaii
Referral Code
I just received a phone call from a Tesla rep who says that Powerwall 2 should be ready to install in Hawaii by this summer. I mentioned my concern about net-metering and the rep sounded familiar with the issue and they said they're working with HECO about the matter. I was told there will be a few early pilot installs of Powerwall 2 for the utility to gain confidence in the device and then in summer we should see lots of Powerwall 2s installed.

It'll be interesting to see what is possible, but with PV panels on my roof and a Powerwall 2 installed, I may just be able to charge the Tesla on days when the rest of the island's electricity is off. We'll see. I should have things installed before hurricane season.

I'll be curious to hear who else gets a call and what you learn.

I just received a phone call from a Tesla rep who says that Powerwall 2 should be ready to install in Hawaii by this summer. I mentioned my concern about net-metering and the rep sounded familiar with the issue and they said they're working with HECO about the matter. I was told there will be a few early pilot installs of Powerwall 2 for the utility to gain confidence in the device and then in summer we should see lots of Powerwall 2s installed.

It'll be interesting to see what is possible, but with PV panels on my roof and a Powerwall 2 installed, I may just be able to charge the Tesla on days when the rest of the island's electricity is off. We'll see. I should have things installed before hurricane season.

I'll be curious to hear who else gets a call and what you learn.
I had a power outage in my building last week. If I had a PowerWall I could have been the only one relaxing on the couch with lights on.

I guess you've been following the state legislation on energy storage? Currently this is 9 months ahead of the tax credit for the state and unless its coupled with solar installation its not going to qualify for federal tax credit. One of the owners of HEC has told me they are working with HECO to configure an approach that adds solar and energy storage to a house that has NEM without risking NEM. This max tax credit (after Jan 1 '18) and adds batteries. Powerwall 2 sounds good, but summer is too soon. I suspect they are calling you because there is a lull in installations.

I guess you've been following the state legislation on energy storage? Currently this is 9 months ahead of the tax credit for the state and unless its coupled with solar installation its not going to qualify for federal tax credit. One of the owners of HEC has told me they are working with HECO to configure an approach that adds solar and energy storage to a house that has NEM without risking NEM. This max tax credit (after Jan 1 '18) and adds batteries. Powerwall 2 sounds good, but summer is too soon. I suspect they are calling you because there is a lull in installations.

Akikiki, thanks for keeping me in the loop regarding potential tax credits. Does it look like the bill to make these credits available is likely to pass this year?

Have you considered a less expensive option for less common events? It's amazing how little energy a few lights and a laptop or small LED TV use.

My house has two people in it who make a living working with desktop computers. Keeping those computers running during a hurricane or other prolonged outage is a goal. If it is possible to keep the PV panels producing during the outage and charging the Powerwall 2, then we could go indefinitely with the PW 2 and roof solar. The heaviest loads on the system would be applied during the day, when the PV system is producing and the PW 2 remains near a topped-off status. Big loads are eliminated as the sun gets low and the PW 2 would then be used for just the essentials until the sun rises the next day. If the utility is uncomfortable with PV production while the grid is down, then there's a problem with my plan. A full understanding of what is possible is needed before I move forward with the plan.

Last edited:
Yes, they are uncomfortable. That's why our current PV panels will not work when the grid is down. As I recall, there would be a manual switch over to your battery system/solar system when the grid is down. Taking you off the grid for the duration prevents your battery and solar from generating juice going back on the grid while utility folks are working on it. (That's the reason our current solar panels are designed to prevent generation unless they get a matching sine wave from the grid. Most of our to code system already have a manual cut off from the grid. But its a cut off, not a cut over to a parallel system.

Hey, don't forget. You are not the only one wanting something like this. This is what the market will expect from the solar/energy companies. We don't have to come with the particulars of the solution. They will over us options or ideas and we will select what works for us.

Last edited:
AC coupling. That's good info, but no. 1. Its too soon (for me) to do energy storage. I am waiting on state tax credit implementation. That's going to shave 30% off the system cost of PV and batteries. 2. The Federal Tax Credit (30%) does not cover energy storage unless its installed in conjunction with solar. So, I want to buy more solar even if its parallel to my existing system. So, I'd rather get back 60 cents on the dollar in tax credits including adding more solar, than no tax credits for just energy storage.

• Informative
Reactions: Papafox
No more net metering on the Big Island, and Solar City/Tesla doesn't seem interested in doing business here. Sun run seems much more cooperative.
Thanks for bring up this subject: From the newspaper this week:
At the legislature, House Bill 1593 would create a three -year pilot program that would offer rebates to residents who buy batteries. Senate Bill 665 would offer a tax credit for energy storage systems.

Unfortunately, it appears house bill 1593 didn't make it:

Bill to Allow Interest-Free GEMS Loans to Cool Schools Goes to Governor

What's next? I'm currently looking into a customer grid supply PV system, with storage (PW2). The quotes I've been getting for the PW2, on Oahu, are around $13k, which seems much higher than the press releases suggested, even for the Hawaii market. I'm hoping that once my CGS application is processed, PW2 costs will have fallen, or PW3 will be on the horizon.

There is a battery pilot planned for those with PV. I have NEM and I qualify. I'm told to stay tuned as to possible incentives or tariff reductions. The federal and state tax credit info was very helpful although somewhat of a bummer as I'm putting in my PV phase 2 now to accommodate our two Model S's and battery is a later thing both because of HECO and Tesla.

There is a battery pilot planned for those with PV. I have NEM and I qualify. I'm told to stay tuned as to possible incentives or tariff reductions. The federal and state tax credit info was very helpful although somewhat of a bummer as I'm putting in my PV phase 2 now to accommodate our two Model S's and battery is a later thing both because of HECO and Tesla.

Jeffrey, very interesting. I too am NEM. You said, stay tuned. Where? How please?

Jeffrey - who are you working with for the pilot? I'm interested in contacting them

Mahalo

Let's hope HECO sees the value in using batteries to intelligently enhance the grid. When there's a problem on the grid, wouldn't it be nice for HECO to electronically ask thousands of Powerwall 2 batteries to start helping out? I'm willing to be flexible with my batteries if there's a nice credit or other subsidy. This could be a win-win.