Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall 2: SGIP/Incentives

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are efforts underway to extend SGIP: California energy storage subsidy extension passes Assembly

Personally, though, I'm a bit concerned about missing out on SGIP for the two Powerwalls that Tesla installed at our home this past March. If Tesla isn't able to apply for an SGIP rebate on our behalf by this coming March (12 months from install), then we may not be able to receive a rebate at all.

In addition to extending SGIP, I'd like to see some loosening of the developer cap so that more Tesla customers can benefit from the program.

There are efforts underway to extend SGIP: California energy storage subsidy extension passes Assembly

Personally, though, I'm a bit concerned about missing out on SGIP for the two Powerwalls that Tesla installed at our home this past March. If Tesla isn't able to apply for an SGIP rebate on our behalf by this coming March (12 months from install), then we may not be able to receive a rebate at all.

In addition to extending SGIP, I'd like to see some loosening of the developer cap so that more Tesla customers can benefit from the program.

I concur. The developer caps are just ridiculously stupid bureaucratic BS.

It will be interesting to see how this goes, and if the extension does pass, if you can add to an existing system. I'm eyeing a 4th powerwall, and a SGIP rebate might make the price right.

I concur. The developer caps are just ridiculously stupid bureaucratic BS.

It will be interesting to see how this goes, and if the extension does pass, if you can add to an existing system. I'm eyeing a 4th powerwall, and a SGIP rebate might make the price right.
I would love to get another powerwall dedicated to outdoors features, garden house and wine cellar. I would just feel so guilty getting an incentive for that:oops:. But yeah, if the incentive is really good, I might just try it.

I am in the same boat. Two powerwalls installed in March and hoping to get into Step 4 before my 12 month window runs out. And you have the other group of folks who have Tesla SGIP reservations and may not be able to get a Powerwall installed within the 12 month window before their reservation expires due to the shortage of Powerwalls.

It seems like there are going to be a lot of missed credits from Tesla's developer cap limit.

It's been a year since the install and half a year since Tesla written estimate of when i supposedly might get a check (90 days since ICF submission).

However, my status has been stuck in "ICF Draft" since January. I see that things have progressed a bit around my entry (ordered by original app submission). Reviews, inspections, payments have been happening for some months now. Tesla long since distanced itself from the whole process, making fairly pragmatically useless replies, and I do not have a login into sgip system to see what's going on (only developers do, I take it). All meaningful estimats are gone now, 90 days, etc. What can be done to further check on this? Is there number/email to call/write to in SGIP admin ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180831_103848.png
    Screenshot_20180831_103848.png
    22.4 KB · Views: 65
  • Helpful
Reactions: Ulmo
It's been a year since the install and half a year since Tesla written estimate of when i supposedly might get a check (90 days since ICF submission).

However, my status has been stuck in "ICF Draft" since January. I see that things have progressed a bit around my entry (ordered by original app submission). Reviews, inspections, payments have been happening for some months now. Tesla long since distanced itself from the whole process, making fairly pragmatically useless replies, and I do not have a login into sgip system to see what's going on (only developers do, I take it). All meaningful estimats are gone now, 90 days, etc. What can be done to further check on this? Is there number/email to call/write to in SGIP admin ?
I will tell you from my own experience it took 7 months after install to get my rebate check. And I submitted documents immediately after they were requested or scheduled. I made some mistakes and Tesla made some mistakes with paperwork. When mistakes were made or SGIP wanted more clarity or something happened which made SGIP pull the application from the processing queue then no matter how quickly the issue was resolved they put my application in the back of the queue. Causing another 3 week delay. This is what I found was so frustrating. I couldn't ask a simple questions. There was never anyone to call or if there was a phone number it immediately went to voicemail. I have no doubt Tesla is experiencing the same issues. I don't believe it is all Tesla's fault. It is the overwhelmed SGIP process. Another issue that may come as good news to you as they can be slow to change the status of your application. I don't know if they have a status category for "ICF testing". They should. You could be in a testing phase which is at the end of the rebate process but your status hasn't reflected that. I had my rebate check for about a month, cashed and cleared when I received an official email stating I would be getting my rebate check. So SGIP is behind in getting their reports updated.

All I can say is that when I submitted my ICF earlier this month, it went to "ICF Submitted" status. "ICF Draft" sounds like the developer is in the process of filling out the ICF but hasn't submitted it yet. However, that's just a guess. You could try emailing the SGIP Database and Web Support address on the page SGIP | about the meaning of ICF Draft status.

Cheers, Wayne

i asked Tesla that. They say they had indeed submitted, gave me the submission date. I can try to ping them again, but i probably will get the same run-around reply.

At least if I got a confirmation from SGIP that ball is in Tesla's court, i'd have something to go on back to Tesla. But it all looks like it is set up as impenetrable bureaucracy with no responsibility checks whatsoever.

i asked Tesla that. They say they had indeed submitted, gave me the submission date. I can try to ping them again, but i probably will get the same run-around reply.

At least if I got a confirmation from SGIP that ball is in Tesla's court, i'd have something to go on back to Tesla. But it all looks like it is set up as impenetrable bureaucracy with no responsibility checks whatsoever.

I would try to get a hold of the SGIP folks to double check. My experience with Tesla is they will tell you it's good on the phone, but when you contact the other agency (SCE PTO in my case), it was NOT good and was waiting for Tesla to click a button for over a month.

I think you may be able to dig up the contact info for the SGIP administrator for your utility. I think that is how I got info when I had questions about the SGIP.

Reactions: arnolddeleon
I got a pending cancellation notice yesterday, the content of which was:

The Program Administrators (PG&E, SCE, SCG, and CSE) have determined that homeowner self-developers which have their Powerwall 2 installed by Tesla, are not eligible for SGIP funding. CPUC Resolution E-4887 states that, in order to qualify, all approved developers must perform a substantial portion of developer activities. The Program Administrators view Tesla as doing the majority of developer activities as part of their business practice for all their customers.

Tesla would like to work with self-developers to work on a possible solution. Please contact Tesla as soon as possible so that a determination can be made for your project.

I'm not super worried about the above, as the PG&E Program Administrator agreed six months ago that I was doing the majority of the developer activities. In my case, I did the specification, design, half the install, and the interconnection.

But the second paragraph is potentially of interest to others, if it is true.

Cheers, Wayne

• Informative
Reactions: NuShrike
I got a pending cancellation notice yesterday, the content of which was:

I'm not super worried about the above, as the PG&E Program Administrator agreed six months ago that I was doing the majority of the developer activities. In my case, I did the specification, design, half the install, and the interconnection.

But the second paragraph is potentially of interest to others, if it is true.

Cheers, Wayne
Wayne, maybe you should just confirm with PG&E that they still consider you the developer. About a month ago Tesla and SGIP had a big confidential meeting and I guess this was the outcome. At least get Tesla to commit to you in whatever step you are in.

Reactions: SoundDaTrumpet
I heard a rumor they may be granting special circumstances to those 10 homeowners who were developer approved and in the process of completing their application. This might be a really good thing because you get in the step you were originally approved but Tesla will now take over the application process. Please post if anyone can confirm this.

• Informative
Reactions: SoundDaTrumpet
Wayne, maybe you should just confirm with PG&E that they still consider you the developer.
Well, I responded with an email to the PG&E SGIP PA and his deputy, but I haven't heard anything yet.

Edit: if this is a change of procedure based on an agreement between Tesla and the SGIP, then informing me via a "pending cancellation" notice isn't a nice way to do it. Nor is the message they sent very clear on that.

Cheers, Wayne

• Informative
Reactions: miimura