Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall 2 "waiting list"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does Step 3 really hinge on Tesla?
I thought Step 3 opens only after Step 2's funds are exhausted? Looks like $1,233,816.51 is still available as of 1/11.
It doesn't depend on Tesla necessarily. But I was wondering if even though Tesla reached their cap, if the actual rebate funds are still reflected in total SGIP funds. I wonder if the total funds get deducted only when a confirmation letter was sent. If that is the case, Tesla might be trying to get as many customer's as possible to that point were the rebate is reserved.

How is one able to determine the amount of the rebate (step) before committing to purchasing a Powerwall 2? I’m trying to figure out what my net cost will be for two Powerwall 2s, and whether there is funding available for the rebates in California.
There is a whole set of calculations and worksheet that the SGIP uses to come up with the rebate amount. The SGIP takes into account the efficiency and capabilities of the battery. For Tesla powerwall2, I can tell you that the rebate amount for the Tesla Powerwall 2, step 2 is $4640 for one and $9,280 for two. You can view the weekly and real-time report put out by the SGIP to see how much they are giving for various batteries (LGChem, Sonnen and Tesla). In the report, if the rated capacity (column H) is single digit, it is usually for one battery. Double digits are for 2 or more batteries. (SGIP | Resources) on this page look down to 9. Reports. Also on this site you can see the various worksheets used to calculate the refund but I personally found them difficult to use.
Your biggest problem will be trying to find a firm who will install your Tesla battery and not gouge you on the price to the point were you basically loose your rebate. Tesla is not able to submit a rebate for you because they are limited in how many they can do for their customers. Check out this Tesla forum for detailed discussions on the California SGIP incentive program: Powerwall 2: SGIP/Incentives.

How is one able to determine the amount of the rebate (step) before committing to purchasing a Powerwall 2? I’m trying to figure out what my net cost will be for two Powerwall 2s, and whether there is funding available for the rebates in California.

I'm in the same boat as you. I can't seem to make heads or tails of this and it kinda feels like I'm in a black Friday line for "something". I just reserved 2 powerwalls last week and have no clue what to expect but am getting the feeling that Elon will have retired on Mars by the time I get my Powerwall. Promised the wife this would save money in the long run but it would be great to know how much of lie that is... :)

I'm in the same boat as you. I can't seem to make heads or tails of this and it kinda feels like I'm in a black Friday line for "something". I just reserved 2 powerwalls last week and have no clue what to expect but am getting the feeling that Elon will have retired on Mars by the time I get my Powerwall. Promised the wife this would save money in the long run but it would be great to know how much of lie that is... :)
If you ordered your powerwalls directly through the Tesla website, you are kind of out of luck. Tesla is not able to submit a rebate for you. I would suggest you submit the rebate for yourself, but that has become very complicated and if your utility is PG&E, it might be an impossibility. Check out this forum for detailed discussions, instructions and frustrations: Powerwall 2: SGIP/Incentives

If you ordered your powerwalls directly through the Tesla website, you are kind of out of luck. Tesla is not able to submit a rebate for you. I would suggest you submit the rebate for yourself, but that has become very complicated and if your utility is PG&E, it might be an impossibility. Check out this forum for detailed discussions, instructions and frustrations: Powerwall 2: SGIP/Incentives

So if I just buy the thing outright (not tied to any sort of renewable commitment, funding, or quota), could I buy power at night and then use it for my peak usage? It seems this would make the thing cost effective within 5-6 years for me. If not, I guess I could just put some huge LED spotlights on my panels to fool the PV system into charging the batteries at night...

For Southern California, Infinity Solar has been been giving great price estimates. $1K-$2K dollars over Tesla's estimate. Most of the other solar companies are gouging charging $4K-$7K over .

So if I just buy the thing outright (not tied to any sort of renewable commitment, funding, or quota), could I buy power at night and then use it for my peak usage? It seems this would make the thing cost effective within 5-6 years for me. If not, I guess I could just put some huge LED spotlights on my panels to fool the PV system into charging the batteries at night...
Yeah, that's a big deal. A lot of discussions about that. I would again refer you to those forums where they are discussing this in-depth. I am with Southern California Edison where I am on Nem 1.0. The Time Of Use rate doesn't apply thankfully to me but it is a huge topic and Tesla supposedly is trying to accomodate TOU folks.

For Southern California, Infinity Solar has been been giving great price estimates. $1K-$2K dollars over Tesla's estimate. Most of the other solar companies are gouging charging $4K-$7K over .
That's for one PW2. For two, it's a bit high at around $2K over. I also don't see their name on the SGIP Developer's List, so tread slowly.

For SCE, I'm on NEM 2.0. This means no more limit to your PV size, which can be very good.

If you tilt/azimuth your panels as close as you can toward ~32° (from horizontal) tilt, and 195° azimuth, you can milk that TOU-A $0.45 rate to more than cover your non-peak usage. Don't forget 8pm DST (end of peak) still means 7pm solar.

That's for one PW2. For two, it's a bit high at around $2K over. I also don't see their name on the SGIP Developer's List, so tread slowly.

For SCE, I'm on NEM 2.0. This means no more limit to your PV size, which can be very good.

If you tilt/azimuth your panels as close as you can toward ~32° (from horizontal) tilt, and 195° azimuth, you can milk that TOU-A $0.45 rate to more than cover your non-peak usage. Don't forget 8pm DST (end of peak) still means 7pm solar.
Someone PM'd me. They called Infinity Solar immediately and received the same quote for two powerwalls that Tesla gave. Tesla's estimate was the most I have heard for two powerwalls at $17.2K including $2,500 for main panel upgrade. Infinity quoted him $17.5 and they assured him they are in step 2. The other nice thing about Infinity is that they seem to have pre-ordered a certain number of Powerwalls so they are ready to install now. The only negative is they might be a Southern California firm and not install in the North. And, yes, anyone considering going with Infinity should do their investigation and make sure the company is able to submit the SGIP rebate like they say.

• Informative
Reactions: NuShrike
I found Infinity Solar mentioned through some forum, I can't remember, when I was searching for alternate PowerWall installers.

See if there are other installers that show up on Yelp, that mentioned PowerWall in the comments, that would serve your area.

I was told my an authorized installer that when the Powerwall 2 is used as a backup in the event of a grid power outage, that only specific circuits within the home can be powered by Powerwall. It was my understanding that the entire house could be powered as long as the power load is less than the output of the Powerwall. I didn’t see anything on Tesla’s website out this limitation.

I was told my an authorized installer that when the Powerwall 2 is used as a backup in the event of a grid power outage, that only specific circuits within the home can be powered by Powerwall. It was my understanding that the entire house could be powered as long as the power load is less than the output of the Powerwall. I didn’t see anything on Tesla’s website out this limitation.
It can be set up to power only certain circuits or the entire house. If you want to power the entire house, you might need more than one Powerwall installed.

I would say this is partially correct. It is my understanding that Tesla will only back up certain circuits if a single powerwall is installed, but if two or more powerwalls are installed then you can use them as a whole house backup. I had two powerwalls installed and I am set up as a whole house backup. The thread below has some information related as to how the batteries perform that might help you.

Output of 2 x Powerwall 2?

Reactions: arnolddeleon
I think the rule of thumb is that you take your largest branch circuit breaker size and divide by 30 and round up to the next whole number. And that is the number of Powerwalls you need to have to do whole panel/house backup.

So if your largest breaker is 30A, you only need one Powerwall. If your largest break is 75A you need 3 Powerwalls.