Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall 22.18 Firmware

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m up to 22.18 I’ve been having a problem the last two days where the powerwalls stop charging long before peak time and consequently run low on energy towards the end of peak and I end up paying peak pricing: I also recently switched on the PGE virtual power plant feature. I’m not sure if it is related. It seems to be a change to the pricing algorithm. On the weekend it was fully charged but allowed itself to discharge over Monday and has been in a low charge state through ties and Wednesday. Yesterday I ran out of charge an hour before peak ended.

I tried turning off the grid around noon today. That caused the batteries to charge under solar. So it just seems to be pricing related. Trust is not high with PGE. I sure hope the virtual power plant doesn’t also give PGE more authority over when my batteries charge.

We have some shade in the mornings so don’t usually have the batteries full until closer to noon.

I’m up to 22.18 I’ve been having a problem the last two days where the powerwalls stop charging long before peak time and consequently run low on energy towards the end of peak and I end up paying peak pricing: I also recently switched on the PGE virtual power plant feature. I’m not sure if it is related. It seems to be a change to the pricing algorithm. On the weekend it was fully charged but allowed itself to discharge over Monday and has been in a low charge state through ties and Wednesday. Yesterday I ran out of charge an hour before peak ended.

I tried turning off the grid around noon today. That caused the batteries to charge under solar. So it just seems to be pricing related. Trust is not high with PGE. I sure hope the virtual power plant doesn’t also give PGE more authority over when my batteries charge.

We have some shade in the mornings so don’t usually have the batteries full until closer to noon.
What PG&E rate plan are your on and what are the pricing settings in the app?

I'm CURRENTLY on 22.18.5 and I recently signed up for VPP on SCE. (I say "currently", because I'm not sure what I was on prior to my interaction with Tesla Energy)

I've noticed odd behavior since the day I was added to VPP (8/18/22).

I've had TOU-D-PRIME set up in in the app ever since my Powerwall was installed back in July 2021. Everything worked as expected. At 4PM, all of my solar would get exported and the Powerwall would support the house load. At 9PM, the Powerwall would go into Standby and the house would pull from the grid.

But last week, I noticed my Powerwall was not supporting the house load during Peak periods. I'd see it supporting maybe 25%.. and all of the solar also going towards the house load and whatever was left over was coming from the grid, EVEN THOUGH the whole house load could be supported by the Powerwall itself. I left it alone the first day thinking it was VPP related.

On day 2, I checked my energy consumption and saw the Powerwall was discharging from about 4AM to sometime in the morning (what I believe it was doing was covering the house load until the solar system was producing enough to cover the house load, but I never looked that closely since the PW SHOULDNT be discharging at 4AM anyway).

Later that day, I also noticed the same behavior with solar not being exported during Peak hours and a weird mix of grid and PW supplying the house until later in the evening after the sun went down. But it was still an odd mix.. for example if the house was using 5kw of electricity, maybe the PW was supplying 3kw while it was pulling 2kw from the grid (again, during Peak period). Just weird, unexplainable behavior.

Again, around 4AM, the PW would discharge until the morning. By the 3rd day, I just started manually switching to Self-Powered (from Time-Based) just for my own sanity and to prevent grid usage during Peak period. I also tried switching VPP off, but that did not seem to make any difference. I also tried changing my rate plan to one TOU-D-PRIME selectable within the app, but that did not make a difference either. I also reset my Gateway, but nothing.

On Monday, I contacted Tesla Energy support via chat at 8AM and the rep told me it appeared to be a firmware issue and she would push a new update to my PW and monitor its behavior for 24 hours and let me know if it was resolved. She, of course, did not contact me again after that. But I continued monitoring my PW and found that there was no change in this odd behavior. It was still doing all kinds of weird unexplainable things.

I wrote back to her today (Thursday) and she replied saying that she was also seeing the odd behavior continue and that it would need to be escalated to Level 2, which could take 20-25 days for a resolution.

So, I'm not sure if I was on 22.18.3 before Tesla pushed the new update to me? But either way, I noticed a few people comment in this thread about odd behavior and although my experience doesnt seem to match 100%, my PW is definitely doing some weird things.

Has anyone that experienced any issues been able to resolve them? Does it still happen? Did you guys sign up for VPP too?

• Informative
Reactions: Jedi2155
I'm CURRENTLY on 22.18.5 and I recently signed up for VPP on SCE. (I say "currently", because I'm not sure what I was on prior to my interaction with Tesla Energy)

I've noticed odd behavior since the day I was added to VPP (8/18/22).

I've had TOU-D-PRIME set up in in the app ever since my Powerwall was installed back in July 2021. Everything worked as expected. At 4PM, all of my solar would get exported and the Powerwall would support the house load. At 9PM, the Powerwall would go into Standby and the house would pull from the grid.

But last week, I noticed my Powerwall was not supporting the house load during Peak periods. I'd see it supporting maybe 25%.. and all of the solar also going towards the house load and whatever was left over was coming from the grid, EVEN THOUGH the whole house load could be supported by the Powerwall itself. I left it alone the first day thinking it was VPP related.

On day 2, I checked my energy consumption and saw the Powerwall was discharging from about 4AM to sometime in the morning (what I believe it was doing was covering the house load until the solar system was producing enough to cover the house load, but I never looked that closely since the PW SHOULDNT be discharging at 4AM anyway).

Later that day, I also noticed the same behavior with solar not being exported during Peak hours and a weird mix of grid and PW supplying the house until later in the evening after the sun went down. But it was still an odd mix.. for example if the house was using 5kw of electricity, maybe the PW was supplying 3kw while it was pulling 2kw from the grid (again, during Peak period). Just weird, unexplainable behavior.

Again, around 4AM, the PW would discharge until the morning. By the 3rd day, I just started manually switching to Self-Powered (from Time-Based) just for my own sanity and to prevent grid usage during Peak period. I also tried switching VPP off, but that did not seem to make any difference. I also tried changing my rate plan to one TOU-D-PRIME selectable within the app, but that did not make a difference either. I also reset my Gateway, but nothing.

On Monday, I contacted Tesla Energy support via chat at 8AM and the rep told me it appeared to be a firmware issue and she would push a new update to my PW and monitor its behavior for 24 hours and let me know if it was resolved. She, of course, did not contact me again after that. But I continued monitoring my PW and found that there was no change in this odd behavior. It was still doing all kinds of weird unexplainable things.

I wrote back to her today (Thursday) and she replied saying that she was also seeing the odd behavior continue and that it would need to be escalated to Level 2, which could take 20-25 days for a resolution.

So, I'm not sure if I was on 22.18.3 before Tesla pushed the new update to me? But either way, I noticed a few people comment in this thread about odd behavior and although my experience doesnt seem to match 100%, my PW is definitely doing some weird things.

Has anyone that experienced any issues been able to resolve them? Does it still happen? Did you guys sign up for VPP too?
I have the same issue. Started on August 5th and yesterday said I need firmware update but no reply when I asked when that was going to happen

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
I have the same issue. Started on August 5th and yesterday said I need firmware update but no reply when I asked when that was going to happen

Do you know if it was firmware related (22.18.x)? or was it due to signing up for the virtual power plant program?

Although the Tesla Energy person I spoke to said this issue would get escalated, the "20-25 day" time frame makes me think they're just hoping the next firmware update fixes this odd behavior.

Its like "Self Powered" and "Time Based Control" have somehow combined to make some kind of unpredictable bastard mode.

No update for me, but I guess I wasnt expecting one since she told me "20-25" days and I havent tried to contact her. I dont want to wear out my "connection", as weak as it is (when I tried to get solar for my parents thru Tesla, I quickly learned how easily it is to be ghosted).

I still play around with my settings throughout the day. The "4AM discharging" I noticed before is a little inconsistent. I've seen it start discharging earlier around 2AM and I've also seen it discharging later around 6AM.

There was one day a couple days ago where my Peak period started off looking good with all my solar going to the grid and the PW feeding the house. But almost as if it knew I was watching, it switched it up and started putting solar into the PW and pulling a bit from the grid (again, during Peak period).

So it really just seems completely inconsistent and changes behavior frequently and randomly.

When I think of it (which is practically everyday), I'll move my Reserve to 100% at night (after Peak is over) so that it wont discharge during the night AND it ensures my PW gets filled up with solar first before the solar starts to go towards the house load (I know in the end it doesnt really matter, but it just annoys me to see it). Then at 4PM, I'll switch from Time Based to Self Powered so that the PW discharges during Peak and the Gateway doesnt try to pull from the grid when its $0.54/kWh.

Its unfortunate there are others experiencing the same issues (but I'm happy to have the company)