Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall 3 calibration in process, what is this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
11:21 AM today (pacific) the warning on the app disappeared and so far it appears I am back to self-powered 100% as before.

SPOKE TOO SOON the PW is full and I am using 1.0 kW but .6 is coming from solar and
.3 from grid. Hopefully as the day progresses it will get back to normal.

PW is showing yellow line from PW to Home, I guess that is solar to house, so PW to house is non existent right now but PW is full.

It is going back and forth, for a while I am drawing from grid then I supply grid. Since I dont have PTO yet I assume whatever I give to grid cant exceed what it gives to me.

Last edited:
11:21 AM today (pacific) the warning on the app disappeared and so far it appears I am back to self-powered 100% as before.

SPOKE TOO SOON the PW is full and I am using 1.0 kW but .6 is coming from solar and
.3 from grid. Hopefully as the day progresses it will get back to normal.

PW is showing yellow line from PW to Home, I guess that is solar to house, so PW to house is non existent right now but PW is full.

It is going back and forth, for a while I am drawing from grid then I supply grid. Since I dont have PTO yet I assume whatever I give to grid cant exceed what it gives to me.
I'd go ahead and tell the app you have PTO so you can start benefitting from the system. If you're in SCE territory they don't care and it won't affect them finally (sometimes up to 2 months) giving you the go ahead.

Oh and I just found out why PGE has not progressed my PTO, there is a form called the AUTHORIZATION AGREEMENT that Tesla has to send them AFTER I sign the NBT interconnection doc which I did back on May 8 but Tesla has not done that yet. At least since I am proactive it will get done, but were I not who knows how long this would have just sat. grr

Turn off all loads/breakers and let the solar calibrate with the main CT. I think Tesla finally figured out that their solar CT is off 10%. If all loads are off as well as Powerwall then solar has to match the main CT in the gateway.
Don’t turn off gateway main breaker, just the loads and let the solar back feed.

Turn off all loads/breakers and let the solar calibrate with the main CT. I think Tesla finally figured out that their solar CT is off 10%. If all loads are off as well as Powerwall then solar has to match the main CT in the gateway.
Don’t turn off gateway main breaker, just the loads and let the solar back feed.
How do you think the system tells the difference between loads on and loads off? To the PW system, there are just 3 points to measure, at the Solar, at the Main consumption CT's and at the Powerwalls.

The system cannot tell the difference between you using power between the solar and home load meters, compared to not using power, except through these measurements.

Basically what you are suggesting won't have any result at least from the Gateway algo.

Reactions: jgleigh
How do you think the system tells the difference between loads on and loads off? To the PW system, there are just 3 points to measure, at the Solar, at the Main consumption CT's and at the Powerwalls.

The system cannot tell the difference between you using power between the solar and home load meters, compared to not using power, except through these measurements.

Basically what you are suggesting won't have any result at least from the Gateway algo.
Tesla’s solar CT’s (connected directly to gateway, Nero’s are fine) are calibrated about 10% high. Probably on purpose so people think their solar is working well.
So if all loads are off, the solar CT’s should match the Line CT’s.
Seems like the calibration is looking for the lowest house draw. What it determines may be better than nothing with a small vampire load. So why not help it out, and shut everything thing off.

I suspect this has to do with the switch to LFP battery chemistry. LFP cell voltage curve is extremely flat from ~20-95% so capacity measurements might drift over time if the batteries aren't allowed to deeply discharge occasionally.
My battery never went below 55% I’m pretty sure during this process, if it’s true that draining it all the way is good. I would do it no problem.

My soninlaw has 20 panels and I have 10. Same area of same town. I am producing 2.8 kW and he is 4.1 kW.

Sound about right or am I underproducing? Don’t know how the math works. Both Tesla.

Is your friend

Reactions: LiBeRtAs

Is your friend
I used that site and I’m trying to understand the numbers.

I would do a screenshot here that has my address on it

Solar radiation kWh 7.69 for June.

AC energy 683

My soninlaw has 20 panels and I have 10. Same area of same town. I am producing 2.8 kW and he is 4.1 kW.

Sound about right or am I underproducing? Don’t know how the math works. Both Tesla.

This thread that you posted in is about the powerwalls going into a calibration state, not about trying to compare generation for 2 different houses in the same neighborhood.

What your son in laws house is or is not producing is not relevant to your own production (not at all). Even if your sons house was right next door, it still wouldnt be very relevant (but would be slightly relevant). Across town in a different house even in the same town, = not relevant at all.

In another thread here you mentioned:

Unfortunately I overthink everything way too much

You are doing that with this attempt to match your son in laws production to yours, unless you are comparing the exact same panels (not just panel number but type) same shading, same roof plane, same percentage of panels facing the same general direction, and probably a few other variables.

This thread that you posted in is about the powerwalls going into a calibration state, not about trying to compare generation for 2 different houses in the same neighborhood.

What your son in laws house is or is not producing is not relevant to your own production (not at all). Even if your sons house was right next door, it still wouldnt be very relevant (but would be slightly relevant). Across town in a different house even in the same town, = not relevant at all.

In another thread here you mentioned:

You are doing that with this attempt to match your son in laws production to yours, unless you are comparing the exact same panels (not just panel number but type) same shading, same roof plane, same percentage of panels facing the same general direction, and probably a few other variables.
OK, thank you, I put the post in this thread to avoid being told I shouldn’t start a new thread every time I have a question but I get criticized anyway so just tell me what to do and I’ll do it. I am aware starting a new thread every time I have a question if I can’t find any existence thread for it, I’ll get on peoples nerves just like me creating a power wall three ongoing thread about the performance and issues that I thought would be interesting to others since not very many people have one yet, but that was deleted, so I’m just trying to avoid moderator action, having been a moderator on message boards in the past myself.

Last edited: