Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hello, I have just had a new powerwall 2 installed and I want to configure the system to run via a wired Ethernet rather than WiFi which we do not have, how do I do this?
Once you plug in the Ethernet cable. you'll probably need to run Setup wizard to get it to use wired Ethernet.

Quick instructions for running the wizard (there are other thread with far more details):
1) connect to the powerwall gateway's wifi hot spot (starts with "TEG-")
2) connect to the gateway using the ip address of the "router" for the TEG wifi hotspot, (something like this: http://192.168.91.1)
3) login to the wizard with any email address and the password which is a capital S, followed by the serial number of the gateway (found on the inside of the panel box door, and usually looks like T17I0008XXX)

You should see an Ethernet port in your backup gateway. This is mine:
upload_2018-3-16_11-44-21.png

When they came out for my site survey, they wanted a photo of my router to verify that wired internet was available.

So it's odd that you had an install without internet.

Is this a self-install? I saw someone on Facebook selling a Founders Edition Powerwall, buying one greymarket like that would seem to be the only way you could get one without professional installation.

When they came out for my site survey, they wanted a photo of my router to verify that wired internet was available.

So it's odd that you had an install without internet.

Is this a self-install? I saw someone on Facebook selling a Founders Edition Powerwall, buying one greymarket like that would seem to be the only way you could get one without professional installation.
Not many people have wired Ethernet on the side of their house or in the garage. It would be an strange requirement to need that for an install.

WiFi worked fine for the install at our hose. I already needed to have a decent WiFi signal in the garage for the Model S, JuiceBox, Rachio sprinkler controller, etc.

I just installed an 8 port gigabit network switch in my garage and one port is reserved for the Powerwall Gateway. Do you think that a photo of the network switch will suffice? It would seem that the installer should just test the Ethernet cable to see if it works and if it doesn’t, try WiFi.

My installers did plug in the network cable, but they did not set the gateway up to use it. That might have been because they finished while I was picking my kids up from school and they may not have wanted to wait for me to come back. I think a lot depends on the installers and how much work they're willing to put into it. It's not hard to run through the setup wizard to configure the network, luckily. I did it myself the next day.

Note that the third option is cellular and I believe the gateway is set up to use it by default (at least that's how mine was configured after the install).

For mine, I went ahead and ran an Ethernet connection to the location inside, and they took the cable I ran and put it outside. However, they weren't experts at crimping the head on the RJ45, and they had to clip the head off to get it run through the hole they drilled. So I crimped on the head again after they ran the wire through my wall. They then setup the rest of the process using that Ethernet connection.

2.4 is better than 5, unless you have a crowded neighborhood with a lot of 2.4 networks and few 5s. 5 is faster at short range, though. Not important, I'd imagine, with a Powerwall's bandwidth.

I live in the middle of nowhere. Rarely can I see one of my neighbor's networks.

2.4 is better than 5, unless you have a crowded neighborhood with a lot of 2.4 networks and few 5s. 5 is faster at short range, though. Not important, I'd imagine, with a Powerwall's bandwidth.

I live in the middle of nowhere. Rarely can I see one of my neighbor's networks.
I'm in a crowded 2.4 area. Neighbors 10 feet away on two sides, and 50 feet away on other two sides.. Then, I've just upped my number of IoT devices. It about as crowded as an apartment area, via "WiFi Manager" scanning on Android.

5 GHz would be better as I can just drop repeaters/mesh on the very uncrowded spectrum, especially the empty DFS channels.