Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall/Solar Edge behavior in power outage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The technician simulated a grid outage (by flipping the main breaker) and confirmed that our solar inverters were not turning back on. He upgraded the firmware from 1.32.0 to 1.34.2, but this did not seem to make a difference. I suggested that he use his multimeter to check our line frequency during a simulated outage, and sure enough, he measured 63 Hz which is too how for the solar inverters. As expected, this also explains why our induction stove won't function on backup power.

The technician spoke with Tesla's diagnostics team and was told that there's a known firmware issue with line frequency during outages. It appears that we'll have to wait for software fixes. He encouraged me to continue to follow up with Tesla, using my case number and job number, and expressed optimism that there will be a resolution. I emphasized that being able to charge from solar during outages is important to us, given our semi-rural mountain location.
63Hz sounds intentional where it was purposely selected to trip inverters.

After all, CA Rule 21 allows frequency ride-through up to 62Hz: California Rule 21 Interconnection: What it means for utilities | OPEN

The technician spoke with Tesla's diagnostics team and was told that there's a known firmware issue with line frequency during outages. It appears that we'll have to wait for software fixes. He encouraged me to continue to follow up with Tesla, using my case number and job number, and expressed optimism that there will be a resolution. I emphasized that being able to charge from solar during outages is important to us, given our semi-rural mountain location.
I called Tesla Energy yesterday to follow up, and "Gary" just called me back. Tesla says that they hope to fix the "high frequency" issue in the next firmware release, though they can't say exactly when that will be. Beside the issue of charging from solar during outages, Gary expressed the sentiment that we should be able to use our induction stove during outages, and that's of course frequency dependent. Needless to say, I appreciated hearing this. We also agreed upon the need to be able to charge from solar, during outages, when the ambient temperature is low.

"66 Hz problem" is solved and I can now run off-grid indefinitely (just completed 6 days). Tesla's technician saw that my solar inverters turned off at 60.7 Hz, so he set the cut-off frequency at 61.0 Hz. Worked like a charm. I turned off the grid power today and watched for a couple of hours as the solar inverters cycled off smoothly when the PW2s reach full charge, and turned back on when they dipped below full charge. I did not see any lock-up and the line frequency did not exceed 61 Hz. The A/C ran fine and the UPSs didn't beep. I am delighted.

"66 Hz problem" is solved and I can now run off-grid indefinitely (just completed 6 days). Tesla's technician saw that my solar inverters turned off at 60.7 Hz, so he set the cut-off frequency at 61.0 Hz. Worked like a charm. I turned off the grid power today and watched for a couple of hours as the solar inverters cycled off smoothly when the PW2s reach full charge, and turned back on when they dipped below full charge. I did not see any lock-up and the line frequency did not exceed 61 Hz. The A/C ran fine and the UPSs didn't beep. I am delighted.

Now how do the rest of us get this update to our systems?

Has anyone had any resolution to this issue other than Phil? I had my Tesla Solar and Powerwalls installed in July and we’ve had our first few PG&E power outages this week. Same issue. Powerwalls were at 100% due to Storm Watch. They depleted down to 67% over a day and a half and when the power went out the solar shut off. The solar only came on occasionally throughout the day for very short bursts and the Powerwalls never got charged back above 80% until the grid power came back on and the solar worked again as normal. This is definitely concerning to me as It’s not unusual for my area to lose grid power for over a week. We really need to have the solar working to keep the batteries topped off during the high solar production hours of the day during a grid outage. I called Tesla and 3 days later I’m still waiting on a call back about it.

During outages early this year, we had no issues with the line frequency being too high for our appliances, as had been the case in my post above, from April 2019. Tesla has definitely made some fixes.

On the other hand, it's been a while since we've had a daytime outage in cold weather where the panels weren't buried by snow. So I have nothing further to report as to our system's ability (or lack thereof) to keep the solar on, in the cold, during outages. Today, SCE was warning of the possibility of a "public safety" outage here, but they never had to turn off our mountain town's power.

Has anyone had any resolution to this issue other than Phil? I had my Tesla Solar and Powerwalls installed in July and we’ve had our first few PG&E power outages this week. Same issue. Powerwalls were at 100% due to Storm Watch. They depleted down to 67% over a day and a half and when the power went out the solar shut off. The solar only came on occasionally throughout the day for very short bursts and the Powerwalls never got charged back above 80% until the grid power came back on and the solar worked again as normal. This is definitely concerning to me as It’s not unusual for my area to lose grid power for over a week. We really need to have the solar working to keep the batteries topped off during the high solar production hours of the day during a grid outage. I called Tesla and 3 days later I’m still waiting on a call back about it.

Thanks for the response. So I assume your fix came in the form of a firmware update then instead of a direct remote fix to your system. Correct?

Keep in mind that the messages in this thread are more than a year old. So any firmware update that might have helped with this issue would also be a year old and would already be superseded by newer firmware that has already been installed on your powerwalls.

What you describe doesn’t sound totally normal, however. It is normal for the solar to turn off if the power fails when the powerwalls are at 100%. And it is normal for the solar to cycle on and off while you are off grid if the powerwall’s SOC is in the high 90s, but the solar should only be off if the powerwalls are at a high state of charge.

It is also possible that the powerwalls may net deplete over a day or several days of outage, depending on how much solar power you get. During an outage your house is the priority for the solar power your system is generating and your powerwalls are only charged with any excess power that your home doesn’t use. So depending on how much power your system is generating there might not be enough power to fully charge your powerwalls during the day, and then they will obviously deplete further at night when there is no solar power.

However, if you are seeing your solar shut off during the day when the powerwalls are at less than a 95% charge then something isn’t right and it probably makes sense for tesla to look at your system. If you post the graphs from your Tesla app during this time period that might help us to see what was happening.