Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall stuck to Standby pre-PTO? Remotely done?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious thoughts on what’s happening here. Had a new system (enohase Solar, Tesla Powerwall) just installed. Going thru inspection steps but in the meantime, the installer left the system on (presumably testing). Was nice and we set it for self-powered mode to charge in the day and then offset out evening electricity usage.

After 2-3 days, the system now switched to standby on the Tesla app. Can’t see how to get it out of it. Can this be done remotely by the installer? Tesla? Power company?

The enohase solar system is still normal. What will happen when it tires to make electricity and push it to a standby system?

thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_3758.jpeg
    IMG_3758.jpeg
    128.5 KB · Views: 158
Yeah. Obviously the house use isn’t zero.
Now that the sun is coming up, the solar system is just bypassing the battery since it’s on standby. View attachment 937019
Seems if my house is using the same as solar, it all goes to the house. I only go to the battery if solar is greater than house. If battery 100%, and solar great than house, it goes to grid

Reactions: jboy210
Yeah. Obviously the house use isn’t zero.
Now that the sun is coming up, the solar system is just bypassing the battery since it’s on standby. View attachment 937019
As @Redhill_qik said call your installer. Your house reading zero is a red flag that there is something wrong with your install. I would guess that your grid CT is not working correctly. Don't focus on the fact that it says standby as others have said that just means the Powerwall is neither charging nor discharging. If it's not reading the grid power the Powerwall won't do anything.

Hello everyone. Posting a followup question. We have a solar system (Enphase) plus Powerwall installed recently. Pending PTO. For the last several weeks, the system has been able to make energy for the home and share the battery.

A while back, the installer came to add a switch and after they left the battery went to permanent standby. Ie not charging up during the day anymore. I was able to restart the gateway and it seemed to fix and work again.

We just had the installer come out to the house again to add an additional shutoff and now the same thing happened - stuck on standby. I tried restarting the gateway (push the burrows button) and also restart the Powerwall but no luck. Initially thought it was in standby because I read it does this after an installer login.

I logged into the gateway directly and see this (see photos). Is this an incorrect install? Something which can be fixed remotely?

IMG_3949.jpeg
IMG_3950.jpeg
IMG_3948.jpeg
IMG_3951.png

So here’s a followup. I ended up restarting the gateway and Powerwall and the system magically started working again. Still waiting for PTO.

But then had the installer come out again to add an additional shutoff switch and now the system is back “stuck on standby”. Logging into the system things look odd. Restarting the gateway and Powerwall didn’t seem to work this time.

Does this look right? Are wires switched? Can the installer fix this remotely?

Also, if the battery just sits idle till we have PTO (which I’m hearing can be months here in SCE land in scal) the battery is just dropping 1-2% charge each day. Won’t it get down to critical levels and damage the battery?

IMG_3948.jpeg
IMG_3951.png

It looks like your solar CT got moved to the wrong phase or installed backwards. You can go into the installer and look at the values reported by the solar CT, and if it's negative, there is a flip checkbox you can set to reverse it. If you are comfortable working in the panel, you can physically turn the CT around so it reads positive or move it to the other phase.

It looks like your solar CT got moved to the wrong phase or installed backwards. You can go into the installer and look at the values reported by the solar CT, and if it's negative, there is a flip checkbox you can set to reverse it. If you are comfortable working in the panel, you can physically turn the CT around so it reads positive or move it to the other phase.
Don’t particularly feel comfortable fiddling with the physical electrical items. However, if there’s a software way to fix it (or if the installer can do it remotely) that would be best.

I need to log in as an installer? Any guide to do this? I’m a noob to this (just learned how to log into the gateway as a customer).
It’s peculiar that restarting the gateway last time this happened seemed to fix it. Wonder if the Powerwall system can autocorrect somehow or maybe that was a different issue.

In the interim, is this a fire risk somehow?

It’s funny. When I asked before when this happened, the installer said the measurements on the Tesla app are erroneous until PTO is obtained. Weird.

Installer login is similar to customer login, except the password is different. It's usually on a sticker inside the gateway. Don't change anything except the CT for solar, there are other setting that you don't want to mess with.

Not a fire hazard. The system is just in standby because the data is not right. If unsure, have your installer come back out and fix it.

Installer login is similar to customer login, except the password is different. It's usually on a sticker inside the gateway. Don't change anything except the CT for solar, there are other setting that you don't want to mess with.

Not a fire hazard. The system is just in standby because the data is not right. If unsure, have your installer come back out and fix it.
Thanks for this help.
Trying to find where this is. Login to the TEG wifi network. Etc. Getting to the screen with the negative values. Not sure where to go from here on the website. There isn’t any config etc options.

Last edited:
In the screen prior to that where you log in, select installer option from the drop box rather than customer.

If you wanted to DIY fix it yourself, you'd probably need open the Gateway box also and see if the software is configured correctly to the way the CTs are physically connected, and also physically flip the CTs so you don't need the software flip option, which seems to get undone occasionally with Gateway firmware updates since you're not the first person to report such issues.

The GW pic looks like the house and solar CTs could be switched and flipped.

Last edited:
Any chance the installer did this on purpose because we are prePTO? To somehow disable the system?

Figured out the installer login. Can see the reconfigure parts for Solar etc but worried if I can mess things up if I play around with it. Wonder if this can be reconfigured remotely if it’s just a software issue.

Btw thanks a bunch for the help. I’m still at the “what does CT stand for” stage.

Argh. Installer customer service says it’s “normal to be on standby pre PTO”. Don’t think they’re addressing the negative voltage values.

Battery loses about 1% a day on standby. Down to 24%. Worried what happens at 0% and if the battery gets damaged.