Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall versus Givenergy batteries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, I am.. I don't generally move the feed in unless I have issues (started with BG for example who refused to do bank transfers and sent cheques, which was a complete PITA). It's a guaranteed fixed value anyway, so every company is the same.
The cynic in me thinks cheques are used as people often can't be bothered to pay it in to their bank, lose them or forget about them.

But I am very cynical.

Nah I agree. Or they don't pay in for a while, so the company keeps earning interest on it (do that for a few thousand people and it adds up).

In BGs case there was no excuse, they're a massive company that takes direct debits all the time, but they can't figure out how to do a bank transfer?

On the SEG tarrifs I have kind of discounted them in my calculations as the amount I can make is negligible (living in Scotland and having a high usage already). To the point where I can't even be bothered researching the best ones. I certainly would be put off if payments are made by cheque too.

Hi Guys
Just a quick question. I am thinking of Powerwall but the GivEnergy is available for installation immediately. My question is about the interface for controlling / monitoring the batteries through the apps / web interface. Does this go through the respective company website ie Tesla/GivEnergy. If so what happens if the company fails? I remember some IoT devices becoming useless as the company that manufactured them went into liquidation. Would be grateful if owners can clarify whether you connect to devices directly or through the manufacturer website.

Reactions: petit_bateau
good point which I did not consider :/

With Lux Inverter, it goes via lux Powertec servers - this is a screenshot I requested from the supplier

Attachments

• image001.jpg
    image001.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 72
Pretty sure you can connect to a PowerWall with a local IP address
Yup, no need to call out to the 'cloud'. Here's what I made to go with my Powerwall:

IMG_3747.jpeg

Dials update at 1 second intervals, the kWh table and graphs at 5 minute intervals. Green number in the centre space between dials is the available headroom, in kW, from battery/solar combined. Ignore the dollar signs in the cost tables - the font doesn't have a £ glyph and I can't be bothered to fix it!

Beats the standard smart meter IHD which, in any case, expired two weeks after the smart meter was installed.

Thank you @yessuz, @WannabeOwner , @phil4, @scdoubleu for the responses. That is a major plus point for Powerwall. Hopefully someone using GivEnergy will clarify the situation on their side.
You can also do local control of the GE system with an MQTT broker. It's how I communicate with mine to sync it up with Intelligent slots from the GraphQL API.

Reactions: petit_bateau
m

ore details on this please.

as I am due to order Lux Inverter 5kw + 9.6 kw givenergy batteries (well and solar)
Haven't looked for any scripts to control the Lux inverter - which is what you'd need, but I use this with my GE inverter:

Hi Guys
Just a quick question. I am thinking of Powerwall but the GivEnergy is available for installation immediately. My question is about the interface for controlling / monitoring the batteries through the apps / web interface. Does this go through the respective company website ie Tesla/GivEnergy. If so what happens if the company fails? I remember some IoT devices becoming useless as the company that manufactured them went into liquidation. Would be grateful if owners can clarify whether you connect to devices directly or through the manufacturer website.
Hi,

From what I’ve established the GivEnergy system controls the GivEnergy inverter, which controls the GivEnergy battery(s). So best to go with the same 2 products there.

There is an app and website (cloud).

You can control the GivEnergy battery/ inverter locally (and over the internet) on the app or using the website (cloud). The cloud is for more complex things like syncing to Octopus agile.

The website version gives a few more options that aren’t on the app (yet - to be added, IDK?).

Hope that helps. I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong.

Yup, no need to call out to the 'cloud'. Here's what I made to go with my Powerwall:

View attachment 919445

Dials update at 1 second intervals, the kWh table and graphs at 5 minute intervals. Green number in the centre space between dials is the available headroom, in kW, from battery/solar combined. Ignore the dollar signs in the cost tables - the font doesn't have a £ glyph and I can't be bothered to fix it!

Beats the standard smart meter IHD which, in any case, expired two weeks after the smart meter was installed.
This is a fantastic interface. Maybe you should put it on the AppStore