Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • The final cut of TMC Podcast #34 is available now with topics timestamped. We covered Tesla's rollercoaster prices, Toyota pushing junk science, Mike's new Model 3, Optimizing track mode for snow driving, FSD V11 apparently coming by the end of this week, and more. You can watch and check out the chat replay on YouTube.

Powerwall versus Givenergy batteries

Am I addicted and taken it too far, monitoring on the go?.....

Attachments

• PXL_20221029_134852033~2.jpg
    PXL_20221029_134852033~2.jpg
    336.1 KB · Views: 68

GRiLLA

Jul 5, 2020
UK
How have the folks waiting for First4Solar faired, it would seem like @94jdh has completed, how was the installation? Has @spon88 had your installation yet ?

They finally came back to me suggesting they will give me a quote this time, are they an acceptable cheaper service? Other installers round here are charging well over the odds.

I am also considering getting on the solar + battery bandwagon.

Prices seem to have risen considerably since this thread started but that's probably just life.

What does the hive mind think of circa 12.5GBP for 4KW of solar and about 10kWh of storage in the South East?

Any recommendations on installers would be appreciated.

petit_bateau

Jun 18, 2020
Europe

Prices seem to have risen considerably since this thread started but that's probably just life.

What does the hive mind think of circa 12.5GBP for 4KW of solar and about 10kWh of storage in the South East?

That price is about correct, installed.

GRiLLA

Jul 5, 2020
UK

I've just been quoted 21K for the same, so I would suggest yours is a realistic price. No one round here wants the work.

How have the folks waiting for First4Solar faired, it would seem like @94jdh has completed, how was the installation? Has @spon88 had your installation yet ?

They finally came back to me suggesting they will give me a quote this time, are they an acceptable cheaper service? Other installers round here are charging well over the odds.
Hi,
Yes completed to a degree - I currently have two Gen1 inverters installed until availability of the gen2 with a 2k retainer.
Install was a lot longer than they thought - which from my understanding was blamed on the survey. Everything is working well ( as it should do) and having the two batteries is definitely the right direction ( may go with more I the future) - saving this month alone being over £160.00 - spon88 hasn't yet got there, and their are some issues with State of Charge with the batteries over on official Givenergy forums.
However, we don't yet know the extent of this and what percentage of installs are affected - apparently this will be fixed with a firmware update, but many aren't convinced as it's been worked on for nearly a year.
The installation team were great, the communications were shocking and hard work to get the installation over the line, which obviously isn't ideal especially with no-shows and wasted holidays.
This finally was resolved with some compensation which I've been happy with - I just hope that the last part of gen2 swapping is planned better.

This is exactly what I've just paid for 4kw with 13.5kwh of storage. Seems about right at current prices

My install is due for 12th December after four cancellations, so not great. The price is great and it seems that the installation teams are good, but the organisation and comms have been poor.

That said, a lot of it is due to Givenergy failing to supply to agreed leadtimes. A frustrating journey for sure but I'm hanging in there.

What is perhaps more concerning is that Givenergy have some significant issues with management of state-of-charge of the batteries which is becoming more prevalent. The "fix" has been in the pipeline for months but so far it hasn't worked.

If I was starting again, I'd probably look elsewhere to be fair, but given the excellent price and "imminent" install I'm going to hang on and run with it. Cancelling now would mean a huge price hike and back of the queue.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC