Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall versus Givenergy batteries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ah ...

We have a very shallow sloping roof. You'd need to be in the next county to see what is bolted to it :)

All-black might be better / less intrusive than the ones with a "silver" border around them.

We (as a family) have a more JFDI approach to this sort of thing. The consequences (e.g. for planet) of not doing some of these things are likely to come home to roost in a big way. But that's not for everyone. We love the "Wind Flowers" we see on the countryside when we drive around ... plenty of our friends consider them a blot.

We built an extension and instead of putting slate on it (and then bolt-on-panels) we put wriggly-tin on the roof, and then panels on top. They are flush with the bits of the roof perimeter that the panels don't cover. Lot cheaper than slate that was then covered up!

So ... propose building an extension to your Wife? Nice new, fancy, kitchen with granite work tops ...

... I may be over-thinking it?!
Haha, she is coming round to the idea of panels, and we do need a new kitchen! Our roof is pitched quite high, but we do have a south facing garden and a garage roof that could take some! I am working on it. Breaking her down slowly!

Can anyone recommend a company to supply power wall or other battery option in the West Sussex Area? East Sussex, Hampshire and surrey suppliers might also cover my postcode (BN44)

I have tried several places and they either dont answer or dont come back to me. My set up and request is pretty simple, I have solar already (4Kw solar edge system) and just want batteries added. I dont mind if they are Tesla Powerwall or another type as long as I can charge on the cheap rate at night/from my solar.

Can anyone recommend a company to supply power wall or other battery option in the West Sussex Area? East Sussex, Hampshire and surrey suppliers might also cover my postcode (BN44)

I have tried several places and they either dont answer or dont come back to me. My set up and request is pretty simple, I have solar already (4Kw solar edge system) and just want batteries added. I dont mind if they are Tesla Powerwall or another type as long as I can charge on the cheap rate at night/from my solar.
DM'd you.

Reactions: InventEd
@Darreno - what was the lead time you managed to get for fully up and running? GivEnergy seemed to be August+ stock at the distributors as of a few weeks ago - and I’d assumed Powerwalls would be worse - but interesting to gauge. Thanks.

@Darreno - what was the lead time you managed to get for fully up and running? GivEnergy seemed to be August+ stock at the distributors as of a few weeks ago - and I’d assumed Powerwalls would be worse - but interesting to gauge. Thanks.
I had one company say Feb 2023 and another say there is a delivery expected around Sep/Oct this year. It’s all down to Tesla and their shipping times.

if you’re a tesla owner it can’t hurt to slap an order in on your tesla account page. while I’ve been waiting for installers to get back to me I’ve had a preorder down at tesla for a while. Might turn up sooner, might not, but figure its worth a try

if you’re a tesla owner it can’t hurt to slap an order in on your tesla account page. while I’ve been waiting for installers to get back to me I’ve had a preorder down at tesla for a while. Might turn up sooner, might not, but figure its worth a try
Ordering on tesla just gets sent to installer to contact you. I ordered on tesla ages ago with no one contact me. I got an order by finding an installer.

I had looking at Givenergy for adding a separate inverter/battery setup remote from the existing PV system*. However poor installer response, availability and pricing pushed me into considering Luxpowertek inverters and Pylontech batteries as an alternative (Octopus recommended this to me).

Infinity Innovations, the Lux distributor and their two spin off installation companies Big Green Beard & Home Energy Group all provided quotes at significantly different price points (as did two other companies) but only HEG followed up, responding promptly to several queries prior to ordering.

A Lux SquirrelPod 3.6kWh inverter & four 2.4kW Pylontech US200C batteries were fitted last weekend, only three weeks after purchase. The extremely helpful installer has also fitted a directly wired twin socket, useful in the event of an outage and which now powers the wifi router.

Although I plan to use the additional storage predominantly over winter by charging during the IO 6 hour low rate period, I have already benefitted on several occasions by storing and using a total of 16.3kW generated by solar with two 3.5Kw inverters easily able to cover whatever house/EV loads are required (I do have to time block discharge the house batteries to avoid them recharging the Pylontechs through).

This has been a surprisingly fast and hassle free experience and the Lux software gives a lot of options to programme charge & discharge at any % power rate via app or web browser including a local connect mode. If I need more in future the SquirrelPod will accept up to 8 batteries(19.2kW) and has the facility to link a second inverter delivering 7.2kWh & 38.4kW storage total.

Something else to possibly consider.

*I do not force charge existing house batteries as the FIT mater had been installed in such a way that this would appear as solar generation which would result in over payment.

Reactions: browellm
Where did you get with all this? Did you go the givenergy route? I have the same decision to make.
Yes, went the GE route. There is a wait for the new gen 2 batteries and inverter but I've factored that in. To give an idea, I ordered around 6-7 weeks ago, kit is expected August and I'm hoping for an install maybe Sept/Oct. I received the design for approval today and now waiting on the DNO submission and install date. Patience needed but I think it will be worth it. I'm getting 25 x 395 panels, a 5kw hybrid inverter, 2 x 9.5kwh batteries, Eddi hot water solar diverter, Zappi 2 charger and emergency power fail-over for under £16k.

Reactions: Cossa and browellm
Yes, but was in the total of £14k for everything including Tigo optimisers for all 18 panels. It was the most competitive price I had, just the waiting game now.
Two inverters, yes to maximise the charge from PV or short window of cheap rates at night and also for the discharge to the house. The new Gen2 inverters ( and 9.5kW batteries) are able to discharge up to 7.2kW in total when needed.
May be overkill to some, but suits my requirements.
Can you share your supplier please ? Thank you

This is our setup and how we use it.
You my friend, are living the dream!

Getting hold of anyone is a nightmare, the best ones will have the courtesey to tell you they are too busy with customer orders they took they can't fulfil as they are waiting batteries, and they are stretched to get them all done when they do have the material it seems.
I through that was how it worked, but they seemed to have changed the web page now with the lead times.

I had powerwall quotes the last few years, but it was hard to justify at the time, then at one point waiting for gateway and PW2. The installer I really trusted was not local and was a premium to get people to travel and overnight for the install. Totally sick as a parrot of course now I didn't splash teh £10K last year when it was a 2 month lead.

From what I can work out, Giv Energy are a victim of their own sucess, they have the new design but no one has any stock, the inverters are due in the next few weeks at wholesalers from what I can tell but the batteries are a question mark?

Powerwall? 10-18 months is an average of what I have been told this week, PW2 that is not the unicorn PW3.

A family member somehow managed to get a 8.2 givEnergy installed a few months back at a really short lead time, and its working well for them but they only have smaller array due to roof limits (5kW here SE - so similair pattern to others).

At this rate, its going to be quicker to order from a wholesaler and get qualified as an electrician...