Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall versus Givenergy batteries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi - I found this discussion searching for more information and reviews of the GivEnergy battery and would appreciate any views on the following:

I've been quoted £20k to install 19 Jinko panels and a 9.5kW GivEnergy battery (local Surrey installer) and wondered if anyone has recently been quoted for a similar sized system or has a perspective on supply vs. demand recent price increases?

Looking at the wholesale cost of the kit its about £14k (inc VAT) and so £6k for installation and overheads seems like a lot.

For context I've also had a quote of £30k for a similar system and EOn recently gave an indicative price of £15k (but didn't confirm details of the battery) - as has been highlighted in other posts, there is also a trade-off of price vs. installation speed (EOn say 6months+ currently)
It is a lot. I was quoted about £12k for 6kW and a 10kWh fully installed recently by a good supplier (who I know over many years) in Dorset area. Open quote, not mates rates. There is a lot of opportunistic profiteering going on out there at present at both manufacturer and importer and installer levels.

Hi - I found this discussion searching for more information and reviews of the GivEnergy battery and would appreciate any views on the following:

I've been quoted £20k to install 19 Jinko panels and a 9.5kW GivEnergy battery (local Surrey installer) and wondered if anyone has recently been quoted for a similar sized system or has a perspective on supply vs. demand recent price increases?

Looking at the wholesale cost of the kit its about £14k (inc VAT) and so £6k for installation and overheads seems like a lot.

For context I've also had a quote of £30k for a similar system and EOn recently gave an indicative price of £15k (but didn't confirm details of the battery) - as has been highlighted in other posts, there is also a trade-off of price vs. installation speed (EOn say 6months+ currently)
For context, I'm having 25 panels (east/west), 5kw gen2 inverter, 2 x 9.5 kwh batteries, Eddi, Harvi, Zappi, Hub and bird netting installed for £16.8k. Oh and the EPS (emergency power supply) for the full house circuit. Note that this was ordered back in April before the market went potty. It's a very keen price looking at today's rates and should only really be taken as a comparator to illustrate just how much the market has moved. I'll celebrate when the bloody thing is installed however, currently supposed to be late Oct. There is clearly profiteering going on as well as long delays. Problem is that I don't see it getting much easier for a good while yet. Good luck with it.

Reactions: petit_bateau
Did you opt for the new gen 2 gear more recently or just fell foul of the transition away from gen 1 and then needed to join the gen 2 queue?
The latter. When I spoke to them a few days ago they said they hadn't received any gen2 at all. The Nov date is less about the battery and more about their installer availability in my area.

The latter. When I spoke to them a few days ago they said they hadn't received any gen2 at all. The Nov date is less about the battery and more about their installer availability in my area.
Thanks for that. So they claim not to have received any gen 2 gear which is worrying as they said they'd ordered mine several months ago. Theoretically they're a GivEnergy "platinum" installer so if they're struggling it doesn't bode well. In for the long haul I guess.

Thanks for that. So they claim not to have received any gen 2 gear which is worrying as they said they'd ordered mine several months ago. Theoretically they're a GivEnergy "platinum" installer so if they're struggling it doesn't bode well. In for the long haul I guess.
No problem. Bear in mind that was one person there that I have spoken to so don't take it as gospel.

Reactions: petit_bateau
I had confirmation the batteries had arrived this week after initial being told they maybe here for my install on 4rh October - the Tigo optimisers are apparently due 30th September which is cutting it fine.
After the bank holiday no show and a number of heated calls and emails later - this new date is set in stone, we will see if that's the case soon.

Little update, further to my post above - I received a call from EOn today and have my installation booked for a week Thursday!!

Clearly they have the panels, batteries & inverters in stock, and their installers have slots (at least in Notts)

hmm so six weeks from survey. thats not too bad - but sooner the better as winter approaches (although that will be more battery than solar)

I've also recently joined the ranks of people waiting for a solar+battery installation. 15 panels, Givenergy 5KW G2 Inverter and 9.5KWH battery. I think they said something about October but I'm sure that was just to sell, I'll be happy if I get it before March.

Are other people having the EPS connected? I don't really have much need (Powercuts are rare here) but for the sake of adding a double socket to the output (there is an existing earth rod for the EV charger not far away) it seems worth having an option. Can then run a long extension lead and power up router, laptop and TV.

Reactions: browellm
I've also recently joined the ranks of people waiting for a solar+battery installation. 15 panels, Givenergy 5KW G2 Inverter and 9.5KWH battery. I think they said something about October but I'm sure that was just to sell, I'll be happy if I get it before March.

Are other people having the EPS connected? I don't really have much need (Powercuts are rare here) but for the sake of adding a double socket to the output (there is an existing earth rod for the EV charger not far away) it seems worth having an option. Can then run a long extension lead and power up router, laptop and TV.

Not bothering. Fridge I worried about but then read they're fine for hours if you don't open them. Router I used to have on a UPS but when that died I didn't bother replacing it. Laptop has a battery that'll last hours, I can hotspot off my phone or go to costa and use their wifi if necessary, and I have powerbanks I'll have charged up assuming there is advanced notice of any cuts. The move to laptops and mobile phones has made us pretty resiliant to small outages IMO.

I might look at a larger powerbank and maybe some low power LED lights that can at least keep some basic lights on if the power goes out rather than candles. Any suggestions for a lantern or similar that can run off a powerbank?

In hindsight a car with V2L would have been nice and will look at that next time though.

Reactions: kelvin 660
Not bothering. Fridge I worried about but then read they're fine for hours if you don't open them. Router I used to have on a UPS but when that died I didn't bother replacing it. Laptop has a battery that'll last hours, I can hotspot off my phone or go to costa and use their wifi if necessary, and I have powerbanks I'll have charged up assuming there is advanced notice of any cuts. The move to laptops and mobile phones has made us pretty resiliant to small outages IMO.

I might look at a larger powerbank and maybe some low power LED lights that can at least keep some basic lights on if the power goes out rather than candles. Any suggestions for a lantern or similar that can run off a powerbank?

In hindsight a car with V2L would have been nice and will look at that next time though.
I bought one of these for my kids to have on holiday (currently unavailable sadly) - runs for about 5 hours at max brightness off a full charge, but takes a regular micro-USB connector for charging and happily charges from my powerbank. Will also run while charging.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09BQ22FJ1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm just waiting for the installer to get back to me about the EPS - wife works from home most days, so we need more than just a socket & extension lead option in the event of a grid failure. Probably going for a manual changeover switch for whole house, as having 2 young kids means the washer & dryer are running regularly, so we can shut them down or leave them in the event of grid failure, and wait until the grid is up again.

I bought one of these for my kids to have on holiday (currently unavailable sadly) - runs for about 5 hours at max brightness off a full charge, but takes a regular micro-USB connector for charging and happily charges from my powerbank. Will also run while charging.

Amazon.co.uk

I'm just waiting for the installer to get back to me about the EPS - wife works from home most days, so we need more than just a socket & extension lead option in the event of a grid failure. Probably going for a manual changeover switch for whole house, as having 2 young kids means the washer & dryer are running regularly, so we can shut them down or leave them in the event of grid failure, and wait until the grid is up again.
How do you know when the grid is up again in a manual switchover system?

That's one of the Qs for the installer!
The info I've seen online indicates that the inverter must be supplied AC from grid side only, so I would think the app would show that it was receiving grid power, but I don't know for sure.
Otherwise at night I'd look out the window for street lights ;)

Reactions: ACarneiro
Nope! Open to all - I'm with Octopus. If Eon are still offering the same deal, it's solar & battery at 0% finance over 3 years, or over up to 10 years at 7.9%
I went online to investigate Eon for their 12 panel with battery system @ £11,395 and they say you could save £891/year based on a usage of 4,800 kW/y. That gives a ROI of 12.7 years @ 0.28p/kwh. However, for my usage of 3,500 kW/y the savings would only be around £700/year giving a ROI of 16.2 years!

If I change the unit rate from 0.28p/kWh to 50p/kWh then ROI comes down to 9.7 years.

This doesn't seem a very good deal to me... Am I missing something??

Currently charging my car for 12,000 miles at £280 on GO, so no great savings to be made charging the car on solar.

I went online to investigate Eon for their 12 panel with battery system @ £11,395 and they say you could save £891/year based on a usage of 4,800 kW/y. That gives a ROI of 12.7 years @ 0.28p/kwh. However, for my usage of 3,500 kW/y the savings would only be around £700/year giving a ROI of 16.2 years!

If I change the unit rate from 0.28p/kWh to 50p/kWh then ROI comes down to 9.7 years.

This doesn't seem a very good deal to me... Am I missing something??

Currently charging my car for 12,000 miles at £280 on GO, so no great savings to be made charging the car on solar.

I'm assuming they're being conservative? and probably doesn't include off-peak rate shifting.

if you use 4800kwh in a year at 28p/unit thats £1344 for the electric. saving £891 looks like they're assuming a saving of 66%? With a battery properly sized (like a 9.5kwh one) you should be looking at close to 90% solar utilisation, but in winter you'll need to pull from the grid. If you have octopus go that woudl mean a larger saving as you'd try and run as much of the house as possible from off peak (although if your battery is sized for summer it probably won't make it all the way through the day so you'll still bring some peak in