Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powewall + Solar City Leased Panels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

K-MTG

Sunshade Captain of TMC
Oct 24, 2015
Irvine, CA
Hi,

I am currently on a 4 kwh Solar City leased (20 year) system and reserved the Powewall. I have a Solar Edge inverter as well. Would I be able to use the Powerwall with my current leased inverter? Or, will I have to purchase a 2nd inverter for my system. If so, how much do they cost? I plan on purchasing the 7 kwh powerwall, which will charge using excess generated solar as well as on off peak rates from my utility and provide power when needed to lower my utility bill as well as to provide a backup in a power outage. Would appreciate any info regarding this.

I use lots of power about 50-70 kwh a day excluding EV charging.

Thanks

Powerwall uses a high voltage (350-450VDC), so most likely your inverter won't be compatible.
Your solar panels will likely need to be rewired to produce this higher voltage too assuming 12V panels something around 30 panels in series are needed to produce this voltage.
PS: I'm neither an electrician, nor own a solar system. I understand a lot about electricity for a non engineer/technician.

Powerwall uses a high voltage (350-450VDC), so most likely your inverter won't be compatible.
Your solar panels will likely need to be rewired to produce this higher voltage too assuming 12V panels something around 30 panels in series are needed to produce this voltage.
PS: I'm neither an electrician, nor own a solar system. I understand a lot about electricity for a non engineer/technician.

Do you know how much a compatible inverter will typically cost? Here is a photo of my current inverter:
IMG_3314.JPG

Last edited:
I'm getting my own (non-solar city) Edge-based solar put in. I've been investigating the powerwall (for backup). I've been told that to best provision for the battery, I should get the SE7600A inverter. that is the one that SolarEdge has based their 'storedge' system around. note that the storedge system has a different, bigger disconnect on the bottom

see the linked PDF for more info!

http://www.solaredge.us/files/pdfs/preparing_for_storedge_upgrade_on_grid_and_backup_na.pdf

edit to add: A coworker of mine has a Solar City system. apparently they briefed him on a 'backup system' It was something like on the order of $6000 for a system that he only got to keep (didn't own) for ~9 yrs. He said it wasn't a good deal in his view (he had to find the ppt they sent in his computer trash...).

Last edited:
I'm getting my own (non-solar city) Edge-based solar put in. I've been investigating the powerwall (for backup). I've been told that to best provision for the battery, I should get the SE7600A inverter. that is the one that SolarEdge has based their 'storedge' system around. note that the storedge system has a different, bigger disconnect on the bottom

see the linked PDF for more info!

http://www.solaredge.us/files/pdfs/preparing_for_storedge_upgrade_on_grid_and_backup_na.pdf

So I would assume it would not work with my current SE3800A system?

- - - Updated - - -

A coworker of mine has a Solar City system. apparently they briefed him on a 'backup system' It was something like on the order of $6000 for a system that he only got to keep (didn't own) for ~9 yrs. He said it wasn't a good deal in his view (he had to find the ppt they sent in his computer trash...).

Is it 6k including the power wall?

I thought that inverter is for the battery itself. You still need the solaredge inverter for your solar system. Maybe this way you actually don't need to replace the solar inverter (like a SE7600). I am also interested but don't have a SE7600.

I thought that inverter is for the battery itself. You still need the solaredge inverter for your solar system. Maybe this way you actually don't need to replace the solar inverter (like a SE7600). I am also interested but don't have a SE7600.

Yea, I don't want to replace my inverter either. Hopefully, Tesla will provide more info on this.

I got a $11k quote for one powerwall 1.0 over the phone so I hope this is much cheaper.

No. I just switched to TOU few days ago and want to see how that goes before deciding whether to add a battery system. I also want to know if I need to replace my solaredge inverter which I don't want to. I do like the idea of buying at 0.14 and selling 0.34 for winter and 0.13/0.44 for summer with SCE. It will only take few years to break even.

I had pre-ordered PowerWall 1.0 but Tesla never contacted me other than sending me a survey and asking for my electric bill.

I watched the Tesla event last night and I've pre-ordered two PowerWall 2.0 to help offset night time power needs. I'm on the time of use plan as well, but getting the PowerWalls along with my 18 kWh Solar City lease system will help smooth out my power generation and consumption curve.

I do like the idea of buying at 0.14 and selling 0.34 for winter and 0.13/0.44 for summer with SCE. It will only take few years to break even.
Can you explain a little further. The most I was able to do was to offset my daily grid use during peak times (about 8kWhr per day) so that I could maximize the credit generated at those rates. I saved $2 per day. My payback on a $8000 hybrid homebuilt battery system was more like 14 years but I also got a backup for when the grid goes down.