Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF and Adhesive Style Front License Plate Holder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the Evannex adhesive style front license plate holder ready to install on the M3. But, am currently considering a full front wrap of PPF. One PPF installer said the holder should be installed on top of the wrap. That seems counterintuitive however. One would think that movement of the plate holder over time could pull at the wrap and possibly loosen it. Has anyone had this, or a similar combination installed? If so, how was this handled for your case? I'm thinking it would be better to have the wrap cut around the area where the plate holder will be adhered?

• Informative
Reactions: NeverFollow
I have the Evannex adhesive style front license plate holder ready to install on the M3. But, am currently considering a full front wrap of PPF. One PPF installer said the holder should be installed on top of the wrap. That seems counterintuitive however. One would think that movement of the plate holder over time could pull at the wrap and possibly loosen it. Has anyone had this, or a similar combination installed? If so, how was this handled for your case? I'm thinking it would be better to have the wrap cut around the area where the plate holder will be adhered?
My installer put it over the wrap

So my plates arrived today and I had my 3 done in ceramic pro and the stick on front plate bracket won’t stick. I guess ceramic pro is doing it’s job. I’m now looking into other front plate options. Any suggestions?

Just curious, I was thinking about this last night, is there any way to use zip ties and wrap the around bottom grill and through the drilled screws holes in the license plate itself? I read about someone uses wing nuts to secure it. I want a no drill, no damage solution, I think if I put some foam protective tape on the back of the plate to prevent the plate from scratching the paint, and used zip ties I could possibly get it secured on the front; cutting the zip ties would remove. Just a thought, not sure if it’s possible as I haven’t tried yet.

Reactions: TMarque
@TMarque,
This is the wing nut solution and works great. I can't imaging zip ties being better than this. Just drill two holes into the bracket, and secure using the wing nuts. It takes 3-5 minutes to install and 1 minute to remove. No drilling (other than the license plate bracket, which you won't see after you add the plate), no damage, easy on and off.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Blue-Hawk-...5405&cjevent=acee8234d15e11e8807500980a1c0e13

Any pictures of it installed that way? Thanks.

Why are folks (in CA) still putting license plate holders on, when the plate can be applied directly to the nose now?

190407.016.JPG
190407.017.JPG

Attachments

• 190407.019.JPG
    190407.019.JPG
    404.3 KB · Views: 276
I’m replying to my own post here. There was also Feynlab PPF and Vinyl Ceramic on top of the PPF when the plate holder was mounted last summer. I gave the plate holder a tug to after winter storage and this happened:

View attachment 394772
I put my stick on over top of ceramic pro and it lasted about a month. After that I looked at other options but ended up using lag bolts with the existing plate holder that fell off. <$5 at Lowe’s and now have this.

Attachments

• 9D1E8DD2-D19F-46C6-86C6-EAD8F7C08134.jpeg
    9D1E8DD2-D19F-46C6-86C6-EAD8F7C08134.jpeg
    344.4 KB · Views: 364
Reactions: 03DSG
I can't tell by the pics...Is that a sticker or your metal license plate bent to match the contour of the front bumper ?
That is a CA DMV-approved "wrap" license plate. It is a decal identical to my actual plate. It is a legitimate pilot program in CA.

Show of hands... who's impressed that I didn't mark out my actual plate number?
(I will never understand this "privacy" concern when the plate is available to 10's of 1000's of other people ever day...) If you want to know who I am, where I live or what car I drive, just ask. And if you also buy me a beer, I'll tell you!)

Reactions: coleAK