Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF - Do I Really Need It?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
sorry, missed this. you can't even tell when you first get it, but because the edges are visible, they will eventually collect dirt. obv a darker vehicle will show less, but i think the white lets you really see what's going on.

i gotta tell you, if you ever wonder if you should claybar/prep your paint before waxing/sealing, etc., own a "whiteboard-white" car. it. shows. everything.
That really only happens with poor installation. Correct installation wraps the PPF around the edges so there is nothing to see. After six years and 129K miles, you have to look very carefully with either the doors, frunk, or trunk open to be able to tell. I've found that PPF really shines when someone has rubbed up against your car and left their paint on. Just a quick wipe with bug and tar remover restores the original condition--applies to full PPF coverage only. That said, any add-on that is more than sales tax--assumes you live in an area that collects sales tax--on the item is probably not cost effective.

That really only happens with poor installation. Correct installation wraps the PPF around the edges so there is nothing to see.
sorry to disagree, but this is not 100% true. early templates for the STi did not include edge wrap. a lot of it had to do with what the vendor had available. even earlier templates for the Model 3 didn't have edge wrap and it was eventually corrected. there were even installation issues with the concave bumper that forced vendors to rethink the install process.

some installers will custom cut films on to the vehicle, but that is far more labor intensive and less reliable.

sorry to disagree, but this is not 100% true. early templates for the STi did not include edge wrap. a lot of it had to do with what the vendor had available. even earlier templates for the Model 3 didn't have edge wrap and it was eventually corrected. there were even installation issues with the concave bumper that forced vendors to rethink the install process.

some installers will custom cut films on to the vehicle, but that is far more labor intensive and less reliable.
The better installers, such as the one I used, take the template and increase the size so that they can overlap without doing a totally custom cut.

The better installers, such as the one I used, take the template and increase the size so that they can overlap without doing a totally custom cut.
i don't see how that's possible. that would drastically alter the shape of the template and the film would not lay appropriately. the subaru had many cutouts, so this would result in larger holes.

i'm not an installer but have messed around enough with 3D objects to know you can't just "increase the size". they would have to pull each edge with the editing software used to design the template. if it is possible for the installer to do, that would mean they would need the software to do it.

personally i would be surprised if what you say were true.

640k, i have also heard installers using a template can increase the template size by a percentage or amount (1-5mm) and have the extra material for wrapping vs just cutting on the car from a big sheet. i only had my front bumper done and no complaints, not sure how the installer did it but i brought it to a certified well reviewed shop and called it a day

• Informative
Reactions: 640k
i don't see how that's possible. that would drastically alter the shape of the template and the film would not lay appropriately. the subaru had many cutouts, so this would result in larger holes.

i'm not an installer but have messed around enough with 3D objects to know you can't just "increase the size". they would have to pull each edge with the editing software used to design the template. if it is possible for the installer to do, that would mean they would need the software to do it.

personally i would be surprised if what you say were true.
All I can say is that it worked just fine on my car.

640k, i have also heard installers using a template can increase the template size by a percentage or amount (1-5mm) and have the extra material for wrapping vs just cutting on the car from a big sheet. i only had my front bumper done and no complaints, not sure how the installer did it but i brought it to a certified well reviewed shop and called it a day
thanks. i'm not an installer by any means. based on the conversations that i've had with other installers, i didn't know this was possible.

So an update on what I ended up deciding on-- going to take my car to a shop in Milwaukee and leave it there from this Saturday through the 26th, so 10 days total.

I am getting...

Full front PPF + doors + rockers
Ceramic Coating on the entire car
Red Caliper covers with Tesla engraved into them (mirror the performance model)
Satin Black Chrome Delete
Wheel coating to match satin black color

The total on all of that came out to $6,025-- so not too bad with everything considered. Will definitely post a picture once it is all complete.

Going to be hard to go without the new car for 10 days!

Post pics when its done, would be interested in seeing the final result e.g. is the film invisible or can you see the lines, etc.

I am a shop owner and the main installer for my shop. "custom" installs do take more time. They are not "less reliable". Custom installation reduces, and often eliminates, relief cuts and allows us wrap around the edges making the edges difficult or impossible to see. There are also several programs out there that allows the patterns to be altered and/or stretched within minutes on the computer, before cutting. As for being "cost effective" or worth it... If you only want to compare the cost of a full wrap, let's say $6k, to what you would spend to have the damaged spots painted in 7 years or the cars value being worth at least $6k MORE because of the perfect condition that your paint was able to remain in, then you might have a valid argument. Will it SAVE you money? Maybe.

The actual reasons my clients get PPF or color change wraps is to make their car look as good as possible for as long as possible. They love their cars and it FEELS good to walk out to your car after 2 or 3 or 5 years and it still look GREAT! it doesn't look like it is aging or weathered.

Remember how excited you were when you first walk around your brand new Tesla...Now remember how you FELT when you saw your first rock chip or scratch or when you saw someone else's Tesla that had some bad dings in the paint. By having the PPF done, You get to keep feeling proud of your Tesla. You're paying that money to preserve the ORIGINAL paint for as long as possible.

When you buy new shoes, it feels good, it looks good, you feel refreshed, you feel clean. When they get older, dirtier, maybe a small hole in them, you're not as peppy. Let's add that you keep your shoes for 2 years, on average, and they look and feel brand new for the first 3-5 months. Let's say you spent $100 on those shoes. What if you were able to spend $10 (10% the value of your "shoes") and they would continue to look and feel brand new for 3 or 4 times as long as normal before you would want another new pair. At the end of the "lifespan" of your shoes, they wont be worth $10, you won't be able to restore them back to original looking for only $10 either. But, they would have looked and felt brand new for MOST of time you had them vs only 20%-30% of the time.

food for thought

Reactions: KenC and jerry33
One more point to make, Partial coverage always looks bad. Rocks and Scratches happen in random locations, not just the first few inches of the hood.

VentureShield by 3M only had a 3 or 5 year warranty on it. You are supposed to remove and/or replace it at the end of it's warranty or when there is damage to it. Top end PPF like Xpel Ultimate Plus has a 10 year warranty and is designed to be able to wrap around edges and won't yellow either.

Reactions: Big Earl
Its interesting that this is so popular in the Southwest (California) but not popular at all in the Northeast (New York).

This is something I might try to do myself but seems like the install costs are way to much money for it to be worth it.

that would drastically alter the shape of the template and the film would not lay appropriately
It is standard for shops to extend precut pattern edges specifically for wrapping around edges. Both shops that do installs and shops that sell to DIYers offer extended edges. It is easy and done in software. I did my whole car myself with Xpel, (DIY PPF on 2022 Blue Model S) . After discussion with the vender, he extended all edges that are possible to wrap. That is every edge you can get your fingers around. Now you might think this is impossible but there are details that make it possible. The hood is a perfect example. The precut is extended with consideration of how it will lay in the corners. Without extending, the precut lays on top of the long straight edges joined with a small arc around the corner. When it is extended the extension does not include the corner. The extension starts about 1/8" from both sides of the corner. In this way the long flat sides will be wrapped but the corner will still have that same little arc sitting on top of the corner. Those that bulk install also wrap edges. They cut the corner so eliminate all the bulk at at the corner. Here is a terrible example pic. My car's corners are much, much, much better . . . but the pic shows the idea.
EDIT: Just realized this is a very old thread. A lot of water under the bridge since this thread even had a new entry . . . except the post just above.
ExtendedCorner.jpg

Last edited:
2017 Model X, no paint film protection ,
70627627461__ED0C3065-7C12-4C36-AFA3-ED10B13C21B5.jpeg
just used ONR very few weeks, pristine paint. Driven to Florida, Toronto, Maine several times- no issues.
2021 MS plaid, 2022 TM3 DM, no extra protection.
Gone/traded : 2017 MS75D, 2018 TM3 DM- no paint film protections
Save the money for EAP-6K, it’s more useful.
IMG_1270.jpeg

Reactions: zoomer0056
2017 Model X, no paint film protection , View attachment 939496just used ONR very few weeks, pristine paint. Driven to Florida, Toronto, Maine several times- no issues.
2021 MS plaid, 2022 TM3 DM, no extra protection.
Gone/traded : 2017 MS75D, 2018 TM3 DM- no paint film protections
Save the money for EAP-6K, it’s more useful. View attachment 939495
Or use the 5k to buy TSLA, about 27shares at $180. All the car’s above paid for my TSLA 🙏😁

Reactions: zoomer0056
I'm late to this party, but I've purchased these cars new and never even HEARD of PPF until I was looking into buying a Tesla: 1975 Toyota Corolla, 1982 Subaru GL, 1989 Hyundai Excel, 1990 Plymouth Laser, 1994 Suzuki Sidekick, 1998 Chevrolet Blazer, 2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser, 2001 Hyundai Santa Fe, 2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser, 2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser(again), 2006 Chevrolet HHR, 2008 Mazda CX-7, 2011 Kia Sorento, 2014 Chevrolet Volt, 2018 Chevrolet Volt, 2020 Chevrolet Bolt EV, 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV and, just a week ago, 2024 Tesla MYLR. I did put a LeBra on both the 1987 Hyundai and the 1990 Plymouth, but I think they did more harm than good. I've never been a slave to the exterior, but I've kept the interiors in excellent shape and I think I got far more points on trade-ins for that than putting Granny's plastic furniture covers on the paint. When I read that PPF is absolutely necessary if you want to "ENJOY" your Tesla for a long time, I think of an old Law and Order episode in which the father divorced, kidnapped his young daughters, moved to Ohio, remarried and then micromanaged their lives to the point that his second wife wasn't allowed out of the house, hadn't seen her own parents ever since they met and even one of the kids spent an entire afternoon learning to tie her shoes correctly, even to the point of blisters on her toddler fingers! Paranoia and enjoyment are mutually exclusive to the point they are oxymorons.