Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pre conditioning for other charging networks....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moderator comment - thread renamed for clarity from "Using other charging networks...."

Just curious - as I haven't seen an answer out there in web land.

I have set up a couple of charging accounts/apps on a 'just-in-case' basis. Let's say I wanted to use a BP charger - how do you warm up/precondition the battery in those circumstances? As far as I can see, my TM3 can only navigate to Tesla chargers and only preconditions the battery if you've navigated to one.

Probably a dumb question - if so, apologies. I'm new to it. I did try to search for the answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
..or if you know where you're going, then "pretend" to navigate to the closest SC on the route and hopefully it's close enough to precondition. I suspect it's only really going to be a benefit with the ultra fast chargers - if you're going to a 50Kw charger I suspect it won't really need any preconditioning, but 100+ would definitely see a benefit.

Just curious - as I haven't seen an answer out there in web land.

I have set up a couple of charging accounts/apps on a 'just-in-case' basis. Let's say I wanted to use a BP charger - how do you warm up/precondition the battery in those circumstances? As far as I can see, my TM3 can only navigate to Tesla chargers and only preconditions the battery if you've navigated to one.

Probably a dumb question - if so, apologies. I'm new to it. I did try to search for the answer.

You can tell it to navigate to the nearest Supercharger and, if you’re within about 30 minutes of it the car should start to condition the battery.

You’ll then need to use your phone to navigate to where you actually want to go of course...

Ha! Thanks... I only do spirited driving - that's why I'm asking. :)

Thanks for the replies - I felt I must have overlooked something, so it's good to know I haven't. I can't see me using chargers outside of the Tesla network - but you never know.

Do you need to do preconditioning for your charge at home as well?

Preconditioning reduces the time you have to sit at the charger, if you don’t precondition then the first few minutes of charging is used for warming the battery too. Preconditioning shifts that heating time to while you’re driving rather than while you’re stationary.

Generally you’re not in such a rush when charging at home.

Preconditioning uses ~13kW on a dual-motor tesla so should be weighed against ~7kW home charger. If you trick it into preconditioning at home you’ll use energy faster than you could add it back again anyway.

If the battery is very cold, the BMS will use some of the home 7kW to warm the battery enough so it can then accept 7kW.

• Informative
Reactions: CD_WE and arg