Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pre-conditioning while using the UMC charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm charging at home off the UMC for now. So that's ~ 240V/10A = 2.4kW here in the UK. But I've heard that the climate control can use up to 6kw, and there's draw from the battery heater as well?

If I pre-condition while on the UMC, does the climate system then draw down the battery, or just the mains, or both? Is there a set sequence in which this occurs?

Thanks. Yes, 10A is low - just using a regular mains outlet. Will install something more in time - but for my normal ~80 miles/week this is good enough for now.

Does sound like I may end up drawing from the battery if I pre-condition when the garage temperature drops in the winter.

I'm charging at home off the UMC for now. So that's ~ 240V/10A = 2.4kW here in the UK. But I've heard that the climate control can use up to 6kw, and there's draw from the battery heater as well?

If I pre-condition while on the UMC, does the climate system then draw down the battery, or just the mains, or both? Is there a set sequence in which this occurs?
Yes, cabin climate control heater can be 6kW and the battery heater can be 6kW, but keep in mind those are the maximum draws. They aren't always at that level. So they may be high for the first several minutes but will turn down in a little while. Also, there does not seem to be a mechanism to "turn on" the battery heater. So when you pre-warm the inside cabin, it still generally won't turn on the battery heater with that. It's a little bit of a workaround, but charging does generate some heat in the battery, so sometimes people charge for a half hour to hour in the morning to get that battery pre-warmed.

I don't know of any kind of sequence to it, but it does preferentially use wall power. If you turn on heating in the morning, and it needs to draw 4-5kW, it will draw all of your 2.4kW from the wall and some extra from the battery. As the temperature gets stable, it will draw less from the battery while still taking your 2.4kW from the wall.

Reactions: 12Pack