Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Preconditioning: temps going higher than setting?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just by chance, I was checking up on our Model X via the Tesla phone app and noticed the heater on while it was sitting in the garage . We do have preconditioning on so it might have memorized my wife's previous schedule (she's the primary driver). But why is it taking the interior temp beyond our setting (see attached screen shot). Phone support didn't know other than to ask us to reset software. Anyone else seen this? Really disliking the automatic preconditioning. Wonder if this would do this if we were traveling and left the car out... wish they could just add simple ability to schedule reconditioning at specific and multiple times per day... Screenshot_20171208-122839.png

• Helpful
Reactions: CarbonFree
An option is to use one of a couple 3rd party apps that have scheduled tasks. I use TeslaFi to preheat my car in the morning (not so important since it is in the garage, but nice) and the evening (which is critical since it gets REALLY COLD here in WI :) )

Just by chance, I was checking up on our Model X via the Tesla phone app and noticed the heater on while it was sitting in the garage . We do have preconditioning on so it might have memorized my wife's previous schedule (she's the primary driver). But why is it taking the interior temp beyond our setting (see attached screen shot). Phone support didn't know other than to ask us to reset software. Anyone else seen this? Really disliking the automatic preconditioning. Wonder if this would do this if we were traveling and left the car out... wish they could just add simple ability to schedule reconditioning at specific and multiple times per day...

Look up the concept of "thermal mass".

Then look up the term "overshoot" say in something like Utility overshoot for energy efficient thermal comfort in temporarily occupied space - ScienceDirect

In short it is by design. Just let it do its thing.

Last edited:
Look up the concept of "thermal mass".

Then look up the term "overshoot" say in something like Utility overshoot for energy efficient thermal comfort in temporarily occupied space - ScienceDirect

In short it is by design. Just let it do its thing.

My X reports abnormally high temperatures within minutes. I don't think the car has any appreciable thermal mass available to the occupants.

The abnormally high temperature remains as long as heating is active, even when not preconditioning.

I don’t know if this helps, but I think that while in for service at the SC recently, I think they used the air to keep themselves cool. It now tries to achieve 65 degrees multiple times per day.

I wish there was a way to reset the Preconditioning.