Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Predict when we will be able to summon our cars three miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's the hypothetical future situation: I take the express bus to Manhattan for a fun day. Only thing is, at night some of them don't run so I have to take a different bus back to Staten Island. It drops me off three miles from my house. I simply summon my Tesla to drive three miles to pick me up, on its own.

When do you think the earliest I'll be able to do this will be? A decade?

Here's the hypothetical future situation: I take the express bus to Manhattan for a fun day. Only thing is, at night some of them don't run so I have to take a different bus back to Staten Island. It drops me off three miles from my house. I simply summon my Tesla to drive three miles to pick me up, on its own.

Never, with current vehicles and hardware.

Reactions: spacecoin
I think you'll be able to get a robotaxi for you last mile travel in Staten Island in less than 5 years. Definately less than 10. Personally owned vehicles are probably 10-20 years out or later (laws/liability/monitoring) or never (from a business point of view).

The answer is the same moment your car has Level 4 automation and both Staten Island, your house, and a route between them are within the ODD.

The three miles are irrelevant, unless your real question is about potential ODD's for Level 4 automation.

in 2 weeks

As I stated it MAY get to L3. But of course that is still irrelevant to the OP.
And I am saying that L3 will not happen with current hardware. Which suggests for the OP that the dream of the OP’s current Tesla picking him up is never going to happen.
Just my optimistic outlook!

was always an L2 driver assist system
Not true, but agree with your overall point. A small liability for Tesla there, ever diminishing.